|Continued from Volume 25 Issue 4:
[page 466 in original]
Chapter IXThe Kiwanis Club of Everett was organized in July, 1921, and received its charter September 29 of the same year. There were forty-five charter members and the first president was Warren JENKINS. The club now includes 100 members, who are either owners of some business or occupy executive positions. The club is limited to two members from each business or profession. In common with the other service clubs, the Kiwanis Club pays much attention to child welfare, directing its efforts not so much to the live, healthy youngsters who may fully participate in all the joys of boyhood, but to the underprivileged children; those who either through poverty, misfortune or crippled condition are especially needful of some helping hand. For these children, the men of the Kiwanis Club provide food, clothing, medical attention, or operations, when necessary. Another line of work now occupying the attention of the club is the effort to bring the people of the farms and of the city into closer fellowship. Among the outstanding accomplishments of this club are the contribution of the handsome, welcoming arch at the eastern entrance to the city, and the construction of a workshop at Aldercrest Sanitarium for the use of convalescent patients. The arch was placed in position and presented to the County of Snohomish and the City of Everett by the Kiwanis Club in 1923. Thursday is Kiwanis Day at the Monte Cristo Hotel, and when the hour of noon arrives, nearly every Kiwanian in the city is present.
MEN'S ORGANIZATIONS (Continued)
The officers of the club are: Harry WINDE, president; George BROWN, vice president; Warren JENKINS, treasurer, and A. R. METZ, secretary.
GOLF AND COUNTRY CLUBThe Everett Golf and Country Club has maintained itself for more than sixteen years as the chief pleasure spot and recreation ground for the business men of the city. It was organized at the Chamber of Commerce in Everett, August 23, 1910. Among the prime movers were J. E. HORAN, J. Bruce GIBSON, F. E. FIFIELD, B. HOTCHSTADTER, L. S. DURYEE, F. R. PENDLETON, A. J. AGNEW and W. G. SWALWELL. With his well known generosity in promoting the welfare of the city, J. T. McCHESNEY offered the use of about seventy acres of land for a golf course and a building site. A large and very comfortable club house was erected, and it has since been the scene of many a pleasant social event. The club pays taxes on this land, which is located on the Pacific highway at the southern entrance to the city. Large sums have been expended in improving and maintaining the golf links, and members are justly proud of the club achievements. There were eighty-seven charter members of the club and the membership limit was placed at 150, but with the growth of Everett it was felt that this number was too small, and the regulations were amended to include 200 members. The executive officers of the club are: Captain H. C. RAMWELL, R. W. THOMAS, and W. W. OLWELL.
GYRO CLUBThe Gyro Club of Everett was organized early in May, 1924, and was instituted by the officers of the Gyro Club of Seattle, May 18, 1924, with exactly [page 467] twenty-five charter members, and with Harold ORNE as president, Roland KURTZ as vice president and Chris. CHRISTOFERSEN as secretary-treasurer. The ceremonies of institution were accommodated in the auditorium of the Y. M. C. A. building. Thenceforth regular dinner meetings were held every Monday evening at 6:15 o’clock in the banquet hall of the Maize Café. Upon the opening of the new Monte Cristo Hotel, in 1925, the dinner meetings were held Monday evenings in the banquet room of the hotel. Annual dinner-dance meetings are held in the second or third week of May each year, and the ladies grace the occasion with their presence.
The officers of the Club in 1925 were: Paul B. DIMM, president; Clifford LONG, vice president, and Ralph M. BROWN, secretary-treasurer. President DIMM served only half the year, however, when business requirements caused his removal to Wenatchee, and Vice President LONG succeeded to the presidency. The officers heading the organization in 1926 are: Walter R. HOOPER, president; W. E. KUHBLANK, vice president, and Roland KURTZ, secretary-treasurer, and the membership of the club has been increased to forty.
From the first month of its formation, the club has borne its full share of sponsoring a division of the Boy Scout movement. An example is the fact that in each of the two years since its organization, this club has assumed complete charge of the spiritful annual rally of Boy Scouts, eventuated on Lincoln’s birthday, February 12, at the State Armory.
At the city election in December, 1925, the Gyro Club attempted to affirm the issuance of city bonds to the amount of $20,000 to provide for three playgrounds for the boys and girls of the city, but lost by about five hundred votes. Unfortunately for this appealing project, the city government was at the same time proposing a bond issue of $50,000 to provide for the two splendid fire stations, including the handsome central fire station on Oakes Avenue, and this urgent project received a strong majority. Remarkable success attended its great city championship tennis tournament, in the second and third weeks of July, 1926, and attracted wide attention because of its popularity and the fact that half a hundred of Everett’s boy and girl racquet experts competed for the silver cup trophies offered as emblems of championships. The tournament was divided into two grand division of competition, one for the girls and the other for the boys; each division being sub-divided into three classes, boys, juniors and seniors, and girls, juniors and seniors. A silver cup was the championship trophy for each class, the champions of the first two classes of each division receiving their silver cups outright at the conclusion of the tournament, while the ownership condition for the larger and more expensive silver loving cups of the senior classes required that the trophies be won by the same player at two successive annual city tennis tournaments. This was the first of the contemplated annual tournaments, and it has already stimulated unprecedented interest in the practice of this fast, clean, healthful and commendable athletic exercise.
GRAND ARMY OF THE REPUBLICEverett was but a young town when John BUFORD Post No. 89 of the Grand Army of the Republic, Department of Washington and Alaska, was organized July 1, 1893, by Joseph F. SINCLAIR, department commander. There were nineteen charter members of this patriotic order, as follows: Charles ADOLPH, Francis BURQUEST [page 468], Joseph BOUCHER, James J. CALL, John FARLEY, John GORDE, Thomas HADERCROFT, L. B. HALLEWAY, S. Y. KENNEDY, S. S. KING, Samuel CEGAR, John SHERFEY, Whitford SMITH, John ACER, Harry SCHULTZ, M. A. STAY, G. A. STEVENS, Simon TERVILLIGER, and Franklin C. TUBBS; of these but one, Thomas HADERCROFT, is still a member of the post, nearly all the others having answered the long roll. HADERCROFT is now acting as jury bailiff in the Superior Court. The post, which at one time included a large number, has now a membership of twenty-eight, but these aged veterans are the pride of the city. Despite the encroachments of age, they do not neglect the call of fellowship and as many of them as possible meet twice each month at the Armory, at which time a luncheon is served by the Women’s Relief Corps, which was the women’s first patriotic organ in the city. Twice has the local post been the host to the Grand Army Men of this department; once, when the Grand Army was a numerous organization in 1902, and, again, when there were but comparatively few survivors in 1924. While many posts throughout the country have been forced to abandon their organization, John BUFORD Post No. 89 still proudly maintains itself intact. The present officers are: Commander Joseph DUCHINE, senior vice commander J. R. LUCTON, junior vice commander Charles PRINGLE, quartermaster Sam MELLISON and adjutant Ed. C. WARNER.
SONS OF VETERANSJohn BUFORD Camp No. 10 of Sons of Union Veterans of the Civil War was organized February 7, 1920, by Mrs. Amos HAGERTON, and Frank MERRIFIELD was the first commander. Other past commanders are L. W. HAMMOND, C. T. ROSCOE, Guy CRISSY, and E. N. PICKERING. Sons and grandsons of Union veterans of the Civil War are eligible to membership, and the object of the order is to perpetuate the memory of the veterans of the Civil War, and ideals for which they fought. As the ranks of the Grand Army thin, the work of this order increases, rather than diminishes, in importance. The local organization is an active one under the guidance of George B. FRINK, commander; Ben SMITH, senior vice commander, and C. A. MITCHELL, junior vice commander.
SPANISH WAR VETERANSJohn WANNEBO Camp No. 9 of the National Encampment of United Spanish War Veterans is the later outgrowth of the first organization which came into existence in 1906, and which was known as Ensign BAGLEY Camp No. 9. Peter SCHUH, who was the first commander, is still an active member. The reorganization was effected in 1908 with twenty charter members, and there are at present 102 men affiliated with this patriotic order. The chief work is to maintain a fund for the assistance of needy members and their families, and much good work has been done along this line. Another object is to maintain the fellowship and the traditions of the Spanish-American War. The officers are: Charles GABLE, commander; S. O. TORGER, senior vice commander, and O. D. MORSE, junior vice commander.
THE AMERICAN LEGIONEarl M. FAULKNER Post No. 6, American Legion, became a unit of the national organization in June, 1919, with headquarters in Everett, and after the completion [page 469] of the new State Armory, in 1921, it established its headquarters there in the Veterans’ hall of that establishment. Earl M. FAULKNER Post succeeded the original Snohomish County Returned Service Men’s Association, organized in Everett prior to that time in 1919, with Clifford NEWTON as commander and Charles B. SHARY as adjutant and chairman of the membership committee. Upon organization of the Post, which absorbed the Association, NEWTON became the first commander and SHARY the first adjutant. They were succeeded in 1920 by Commander E. J. TEMPLETON and Adjutant W. N. BORDSEN. The following year W. M. MALONEY was elected commander of the post, and near the end of his term underwent an operation for appendicitis, and died the day preceding the end of his term; C. W. JORDAN was the post adjutant during that year. In 1925, Hon. George N. CULMBACK served as commander of the post and Clarence WILSON as adjutant. The present officers, 1926, are Commander Herbert J. ROBINSON and Adjutant Clarence WILSON.
Post No. 6 was named in honor of Private Earl M. FAULKNER, who was fatally wounded in action at the historic battle of Chateâu-Thierry, June 13, 1918. Private FAULKNER was the son of Mrs. Sarah Lurena FAULKNER, born May 24, 1895. He enlisted in the U. S. Cavalry at Spokane July 17, 1916, training at Fort McDowell, California, July 20 until August 20, 1916, when he was transferred to the 7th Infantry Hospital at Fort Bliss. Early in 1918 he went to France with the famous 7th Machine Gun Battalion, 5th Company, 3rd Division, landing in France April 15, 1918. He participated in the celebrated action of this battalion when it stopped the Germans at the bridgehead of Château-Thierry, June 13, when he received his death wounds. He was awarded a posthumous Croix de Guerre and a special citation for bravery in action, by General Pétain of the French army.
Joseph X. GOLLMAN, first Post historian, brought back with him from France a noteworthy collection of relics and trophies of the World war, which have attracted much comment and attention when exhibited at national and state reunions in later years. Private GOLLMAN served on the reportorial staff of the Everett Tribune after the war, and is now in charge of the Everett City Free Employment Agency. The membership roll of Earl M. FAULKNER Post has continued to grow every year since its organization, and at this time, 1926, carries the names of 780 men who served with the colors during the World war. The post is active in relief and other helpful service to its needy members and to widows or orphans or other dependents of former service men. Its activities also include frequent public entertainment, both professional and amateur.
FAULKNER Post has won and maintained an enviable reputation for its impressive representation at all national and state annual reunions or conventions, one of the inspiring features of all of which has been the playing and marching of the Everett Drum and Bugle Corps of twenty-four musicians, under the management of Floyd MARTIN. From the beginning, Earl M. FAULKNER Post never failed to send its complete drum and bugle corps to every national meeting of the American Legion, this being the only post in the State of Washington to accomplish that record of effective representation, all of which has been done annually at the direct expense of the post. These annual enterprises abroad have also been made the medium of giving Everett and Snohomish County desirable publicity in many districts of the United States. At the Omaha, Neb., national convention of the Legion, for instance, the local post fitted up an attractive exhibit car, among the exhibits of Snohomish County products being a huge section of a fir [page 470] log, sawed and highly polished on one side, which has ever since been one of the attractions of the quarters of the Omaha Chamber of Commerce, the Everett Legionnaires at the same convention distributing 8,000 copies of a pamphlet descriptive of Everett and Snohomish County, published by the Everett Chamber of Commerce.
Continued next issue…
This FREE web site and its content pages are ©2002-2012 by the Sno-Isle Genealogical Society, except where otherwise noted. This site and its content pages may NOT be copied, altered, converted or uploaded to ANY electronic system or BBS. They may NOT be linked to from any "pay-for-view" site, nor can they be linked in such a manner as to APPEAR to be part of another site. This includes frames and capturing as well as inclusion in any commercial software or print collection. If you are aware of any violations of these copyright restrictions, please email the details to the web manager - sigs (at) alderwood.org Use ATTN - WEB SITE as the message header.