George Gibson, born in Cork County,
Ireland, in 1732, came to America with his parents, Robert and Isabelle Gibson.
They were among the army of Scots-Irish Presbyterians who immigrated to America before 1743. They settled in
where George married Elizabeth Smith, daughter of Zachariah Smith, about 1776. They
had eleven children. George died April 3, 1819, Gibson Station, Virginia.
Elizabeth died March 2, 1826, Gibson Station, Virginia. They are buried near
the site of the old fort on a knoll at the foot of the
Young George served as Lieutenant at
the battle of Point Pleasant, under Captain George Matthews, in the Southern
Division of Lord Dunmore's army. He was commissioned as Captain, February 2,
1777. He served with distinction in Scott's Brigade the terrible winter of
after the Revolution, he then
about 1800. He purchased land at
twenty-five cents an acre, and built Gibson Fort near
a pass in the mountains used by all going west. Today some of
his descendants live in a remodeled part of the fort.
Mrs. Frank Kincaid (Elizabeth Ball) and her daughter, Mrs. Nannie Lee Kincaid Stickley (Ross), of
became interested in honoring their distinguished ancestor, Major George
Gibson. They decided to organize a DAR chapter. Other cousins became interested
in DAR and on July 25, 1917, twelve cousins met. They
organized the chapter and named it for their mutual ancestor, Major George
Gibson, with its location at Gibson Station,
Insignia is the property of, and is copyrighted by, the National Society of the
Daughters of the American Revolution.
hyperlinks to non-DAR sites are not the responsibility of the NSDAR, the state
organizations, or individual DAR chapters.