History of Brooks Chapel Missionary Baptist Church
By John Woods
The Brooks Chapel Missionary Baptist Church was organized
September 28, 1904 with twenty (20) charter inembers. They were as
followsi J. A. Gentry, Sara W. Gentry, Lucinda Gentry, Cleavie Gentry, J. K.
Williams, Fannie Williams, J. S. Williams, Alvie Williams, Hardie Woods, Ada
Woods, T. S. Woods, Amanda Woods, Belle Woods, J. W. Waldrop, Anna Waldrop, J.
E. Waldrop, Jane Waldrop, Henry Waldrop, Eva Waldrop, and Linnie Waldrop.
Bro. J. F. McLendon moderated and Bro. J. A. Long acted as clerk.
Bro. Long was chosen as pastor. He served until January, 1909.
Bro. John Waller was chosen to follow Bro. Long, serving until September, 1912.
Bro. E. E. Jones served from then until February, 1916.
Bro. E. L. Jones was called and served until October, 1922.
Bro. R. B. Berry served a short time--until May, 1923. The resignation of Bro. Berry left the church without a pastor until September, 1923. At this time
Bro. E. E. Jones was called back and served until September, 1925. He declined to accept any longer, and the church was without a pastor for one year.
Bro. H. M. Allen was called first Sunday In October, 1926, and served until September, 1932.
Bro. L. M. Sauls followed Bro. Alien and served until September, 1936.
Bro. Z. E. Wolverton accepted the church and served until his death In February, 1945.
Bro. J. W. Harper served from April, 1943 until September, 1946.
Bro. G. D. Walters supplied for the church until June, 1947, when Bro. T. C. Jones was called and served until August, 1948.
Bro. A. B. Groy was called In 1948 and served one year.
Bro. H. E. Rhodes was called and served from October, 1949 until October, 1952. After leaving the church, he went Into mission work and In 1954 was the State Missionary.
Bro. Hugh Sollis served from November, 1952 until September, 1953.
Bro. C. H. Gwathney served from October, 1953 until September, 1955.
Bro. V. B. Odom was called In October, 1955 and served until September, 1961.
Bro. Calvin Hancock was called In October,
1961 and served until April, 1964.
Bro. Charles B. Clark served from May, 1964 until December, 1965.
Bro. John W. Dyer served from January 19, 1966 until August 18, 1974.
Bro. Robert Brock was called on October 13, 1974 and Is the present pastor.