BERGHEIM, TEXAS. Bergheim ("Mountain Home"), was founded about 1887 by Austrian-born Andreas Engel who had immigrated to Texas in 1885. He worked for a while for Casper Sueltenfuss who was keeping the post office in his home in Schiller. Engel bought some property from Sueltenfuss and opened a store on the property. In 1900 Engel sold this store and bought three acres of land at the site of present Bergheim. A cotton gin was erected and began operation on September 15, 1900. The post office had to be moved from the Schiller location because of the flooding. The move was made to Engel's store in 1901 and Engel became postmaster. Cotton, charcoal, cedar, and corn were the means of livelihood for Bergheim and the surrounding area. The store and post office have remained in the Engel family and were owned and operated by Andreas Engel's great-grandson to the present , when the business provided fence-building supplies, feed, and dry goods, as well as the necessary grocery staples for the local ranchers. Bergheim General Store and Post Office received a state historical marker in 1983. Bergheim's population was listed as twenty-two in 1980 and 1990.
Source: Kendall County Historical Commission, A History of Kendall County Texas: Rivers, Ranches, Railroads, Recreation, Dallas, Tx., Taylor Publishing Co., 1984.