Block Creek was a community of farming families drawn together for the education of their children in the one room schoolhouse built on land donated by Mr. Nichols. The early families were mostly "Free Thinkers" who lived by a "live and let live" code. There was a Post Office established in 1884 and served the area for eleven years.
It was to this area that Alfred Giles, the young English architect, came in 1884. He bought one thousand acres of land encompassing the head of Block Creek. He built his home called "Hillingdon", then, he later added to his holdings. In 1877 two Marquardt brothers moved to the area and built their homes.
Source: Kendall County Historical Commission, A History of Kendall County Texas: Rivers, Ranches, Railroads, Recreation, Dallas, Tx., Taylor Publishing Co., 1984.