Search billions of records on

tn tp


Trails To The Past Tennessee

Kirbybtown Monument, Macon County, Tennessee

Web Page Host Sammie Jean Gregory-Fairchild


Thank you William King and Frank Swindle for this beautiful monument dedicated in memory of core families living here during the 1940's

William King had the idea, gathered the information
and erected the monument in 2008.

 Frank Swindle
provided land for its completion at the intersection
of Kirby Town Rd and Smalling Rd.

In Memory of those that lived here during the 1940's who gave of themselves and their resources that we may be where we are today.

Barton, Vesper and Verti
Brawner, Milton and Kate
Carnahan Staley and Mable
Carver, Benton and Dexter
Cassity, Oakley and Edith
Cassity, Mart and Mollie
Cole, Clovis and Beatie
Colter, George and Pearl
Davis, Carter and Gladys
Gammons, Willie and Lola
Gregory, Homer and Ruby
King, Boyd and Beatrice
King, George and Nellie
King, Hooper and Gearldine
Kirby, Herman and Emily
Kirby, Laura
McCawley, Harvey and Bea
Maxey, Tommy and Nettie
Marrow, Carssie and Anne
Parker, Jim and Vera
Parker, Marl and Arlie
Patterson, Dayton and Estelle
Patterson, Maude and Estelle
Patterson, Printess and Violet
Smalling, Clifford and Beulah
Smalling, Wendell and Illie
Swindle, Louie and Vallie
Swindle, Marlin and Lola
Swindle, Danier and Bonnie
Tuck, Authur and Carl
Tuck, Raymond and Bessie
Wakefield, Auby
Wakefield, Charles and Evie
Wakefield, Felt and Minnie
West, Henry and Alice
Williams, Hershel and Sarah
Williams, William and Virgie


Brawer, Ralph
Carnahan, Bobby
Carnahan, Delbert
Colter, Will T
Kirby, Gordon
Kirby, Roland
Marrow, Printice *
West, Raymond
Williams, Turman

*Died In WWll


For The Living know they shall die: 
But the dead know not any thing,
neither have they any more a reward;
for the memory of them is forgotten.
Ecclesciastes:  9.5


This memorial is erected with the intent of prolonging the
memory of a community and its inhabitants.  A generation given
to the rigors of the great depressions and WWll.  A hard
working, God fearing people who took from the earth rewards
earned by the sweat of their brow.

Looking to the southeast about 300 yards, stood the Kirby's store
and mill, a stalwart part of the area.  In additions to providing
staples for the families it was a good place to discuss crops, politics,
families and tall tales of the past.  It was a community center for
men and boys on rainy or cold days. In the summer a marble yard
provided entertainment for men and boys alike. The first
refrigerator in the area, powered by kerosene, kept the double cola
and Big Orange drinks cold for those that could afford them.

Pressed against the Southwest sky stood the Kirby Grove School about one half mile across the field behind you.  A white painted
structure with six windows to allow light and ventilation in its
one room.  Eight grades were taught by one teacher.  A
"potbellied" stove provided heat during the winter fueled by
coal.  In addition,  the building was used  as a social center
hosting many "Cake walks" and "Pie suppers."   School plays
with a community Christmas tree provided the height of the
seasons entertainment.

Indeed this was an era of innocense as it relates to the busy
world around us today.  A time when "love thy neighbor"
was practiced for survival and had a place in the community.

Return to Macon County Home Page

Return to Macon County Ghost Towns Page


Sammie Jean Gregory-Fairchild