Compiled by: Paul M. Kankula NN8NN (non-copyrighted)
03 Jun 2013
Cyndi's List - Newspapers
Newspaper E-Mail Support:
Carolina Morning News
The Beaufort Gazette
The Country Chronicle
Regional Bus. Journal
Charleston City Paper
The Post and Courier
The Chester News and Reporter
The Clover Herald
The Edgefield Advertiser
Fort Mill Times
GSA Business Journal
The Greenville News
Carolina Morning News
The Island Packet
The Lake Wylie Pilot
The Lancaster News
The Leader News
Lexington County Chronicle
The Sun News
Times & Democrat
The Pickens Sentinel
Saluda Standard Sentinel
The Union Daily Times
The Journal Online
The Herald Independent
Weekly---established1866, ceased c. 1866. May 30, 1866 = vol. 1, no 10, W.E Walters and W.W. Humphreys (editor).
Weekly---established 1872, ceased c. 1875 when reportedly sold to Anderson Intelligencer.
Anderson Daily Intelligencer
Daily except Sun--created in 1914 when semi-weekly Anderson Inteligencer launched daily morning edition, ceased c. 1917.
Anderson Daily Mail
Daily--established Oct 6, 1899, merged with Anderson Independent Sept 30, 1981, continued by Anderson Independent-Mail. Daily Mail originally daily except Mon, by 190 except Sun., c. 1975 except Sat. and Sun. Jan 2, 1900 issue has no vol. number, “first year”, Advocate Publishing Company. G.P. Browne, original editor and publisher, continued to issue People’s Advocate as weekly and semi-weekly edition of Daily Mail until c. 1918. Also, issued at times as Daily Mail. From 1932 to 1981 Anderson Daily Mail and Anderson Independent jointly owned.
Anderson Daily Tribune
Daily--established as semi-weekly Farmers’ Tribune in 1915 on Oct 16, 1917 became Anderson Daily Tribune and merged with Anderson Independent in 1925 to create Anderson Independent-Tribune.
Anderson Farmers’ Tribune
Semi-weekly--established as Farmers’ Tribune in 1915, but soon became Anderson Farmers’ Tribune and in Oct 1917 continued by Anderson Daily Tribune.
Anderson Free Press
Weekly--established Aug 28, 1953, ceased c. 1978.
Weekly--established Nov 11, 1843, James L. Orr (editor), R.E. Wyatt (publisher). After one year Archibald Todd replaced Orr. According to Ellen, published by Todd and T.H. Russell in 1850. Circa Dec 1854 merged with Southern Rights Advocate to create Gazette and Advocate. Samuel G. Earle, publisher of Anderson Gazettte and Gazette and Adocate, apparently sold latter to A.O. Norris & Co., which revived original name and continued number system.
Semi-weekly, daily--established 1924, merged with Anderson Daily Tribune in 1925 to create Anderson Independent-Tribune. Published under that title (or Anderson Independent and Tribune) until c. 1950 when resumed original name. Merged with Anderson Daily Mail Sept 30, 1981 to create Anderson Independent-Mail. Began as semi-weekly, but soon became daily. From 1932 to 1981 Anderson Independent and Anderson Daily Mail jointly owned
Daily-created Sept 30, 1981 by merger of Anderson Independent and Anderson Daily Mail. Also published weekly Hometowner for Anderson and nearby Georgia communities.
Anderson Independent-Mail See Anderson Independent
Weekly, semi-weekly--established 1860 as weekly became semi-weekly c. 1907, and on Jan 31, 1914 launched Anderson Daily Intelligencer, which ceased c. 1917. Semi-weekly edition appeared as Anderson Semi-Weekly Intelligencer c. 1915-1917.
Weekly--established 1875, ceased c. 1876.
Weekly, Independent Democrat--established 1876, ceased c. 1897.
Anderson Semi-Weekly Intelligencer See Anderson Intelligencer
Anderson Tribune See Anderson Daily Tribune
Weekly--established 1925, ceased c. 1928.
Daily c. Mar-Apr 1946, soon ceased.
Daily Mail See Anderson Daily Mail.
Farmers’ Tribune See Anderson Farmers’ Tribune.
Gazette and Advocate
Weekly--created c. 1854 by merger of Anderson Gazette and Southern Rights Advocate, continuing number sequence of Anderson Gazette
Weekly, semi-monthly (irregular), black publication--established 1957.Although based in Anderson, issues highlight events in Charleston, Columbia, Orangeburg, etc .
Weekly--established in Calhoun (Pickens County) on Sept 4, 1840= vol. 1, no 1. Paper moved to Anderson on Jan 7, 1842 and ceased on Oct 1843 when sold to James L. Orr, who then started the Anderson Gazette.
Hometowner See Anderson Independent-Mail.
Weekly, semi-weekly--established 1890 as a Farmers’ Alliance weekly, ceased c. 1918. In 1899 Advocate Publishing Company launched the Anderson Daily Mail, continuing People’s Advocates weekly edition of Anderson Daily Mail. From c. 1908-1918 People’s Advocate semi-weekly.
Semi-weekly, daily-established 1931, ceased c. 1939. Issued semi-weekly to Nov 15, 1934, then daily except Sun.
South Carolina Baptist
Weekly-established 1866, ceased Dec 1868 when sold to the Religious Herald (Richmond, Va.)
Southern Christian Advocate
Weekly, Methodist--established in Charleston in 1837 and published in various cities, including Anderson, 1915-1918.
Southern Rights Advocate
Weekly--according to Ellen, founded by Ibzan J. Rice in Sept 1851, merged with Anderson Gazette c. 1854 to create Gazette and Advocate.
Weekly--established 1940, ceased c. 1944.
Weekly--established 1856, ceased c. 1858. According to Ellen, paper moved to Pendleton in May 1858; however, no Pendleton files exist.
See People’s Advocate.
Weekly--established 1914, ceased c. 1925.
Weekly--continues Belton Times c. 1912, ceased c. 1914.
Weekly--established 1901, ceased c. 1903.
Weekly--established 1903, became Belton News in 1912.
Honea Path Chronicle
Honea Path Plain Dealer
Weekly--established 1885, ceased c. 1887.
Honea Path Torpedo
Weekly c. 1890, cited in Abbeville papers. Soon ceased.
Weekly--published by T.W. Lomax and D.L. Malone c. 1887
Weekly--established 1905, ceased c. 1908
Weekly--established 1897, merged with Sun (Piedmont) c. 1899 to create Sun Herald (Piedmont).
Weekly--established 1913, ceased c. 1914.
Weekly--established 1910, merged with Advertiser (Williamston) c. 1911 to create Advertiser and Uplifter.
Miller’s Weekly Messenger
Weekly--established Jan 16, 1807 by John Miller and Son. Miller soon died and his son (John Miller) continued the paper. Circa 1812 became Pendleton Messenger.
Weekly--established as Miller’s Weekly Messenger 1807, title changed to Pendleton Messenger c. 1912. Published in Pendleton until Jun 1858 when, according to Ellen, sold to Anderson True Carolinian.
Weekly--established 1912, ceased c. 1914.
Semi-monthly, black publication c. 1907.
Advertiser And Uplifter
Weekly--created c, 911 by merger of Williamston Advertiser and Uplifter (Pelzer), ceased c. 1914.
Weekly--established 1890, ceased c. 1890.
Weekly--established 1878, according to North ceased Apr 1880. Official organ of the Sons of Temperance and Good Templars of South Carolina.
Weekly--established 1907, merged with Uplifter (Pelzer) c. 1911 to create Advertiser and Uplifter.
Weekly--established 1900, ceased c. 1906.
Weekly--established 1914, ceased c. 1919.
Weekly--established 1897, ceased c. 1899.
Compiled by: Jennie Boggs in Jan-2005
Weekly, Democrat--established 1878, ceased c. 1879.
Farm and Factory
Weekly, semi-weekly, Democrat--”established April 11, 1903” appears on the masthead of a 1922 issue, became the Seneca Journal c. 1930, continuing the number sequence begun in 1903. Merged briefly c. 1908 with an earlier Seneca Journal.
Farm and Factory - Journal
Weekly, Democrat--created by merger c. 1908 of Farm and Factory and the Seneca Journal (founded in 1906). In 1910 Farm and Factory resumed former title.
Journal/Tribune see Journal and Tribune.
Journal and Tribune
Weekly, semi-weekly, tri-weekly, independent--created Sept 26, 1952 by merger of Seneca Journal and Tugaloo Tribune (Westminster).
Weekly, independent--established 1954, moved business office to Clemson )Pickens County) in 1959, though still published in Seneca. See Messenger (Clemson).
Weekly, Democrat--established 1897, ceased c. 1898.
Weekly, Democrat--established 1891 in Walhalla. This paper was published in Seneca 1900-1902, then returned to Walhalla once more.
Seneca Free Press
Weekly, Democrat--established 1883, ceased c. 1889.
Weekly--established 1881, ceased c. 1882.
Weekly, Democrat--established 1906, merged with Farm and Factory c. 1908, continued by Farm and Factory-Journal.
Weekly--continues Farm and Factory, name changed c. 1930, merged with Tugaloo Tribune in 1952, continued by the Journal and Tribune.
Seneca Journal and Tugaloo Tribune
See Journal and Tribune.
Weekly, semi-weekly--established 1977.
Weekly--established in Pickens in 1849, moved to Walhalla on Feb 28, 1868. Paper was suspended during the Civil War and new number system started in Sept 1865.
Weekly, Democrat--established 1891. Published in Walhalla 1891-1900. In Seneca 1900-1902, then back to Walhalla from 1903 until c. 1911, when ceased.
Reach: The Oconee Shopper
Semi-monthly--established 1980. Published jointly by Keowee Courier and the Westminster News.
Weekly--established 1857, ceased c. 1860
Weekly--established 1889, ceased c. 1892.
Weekly, Democrat--established 1908, ceased 1909.
Weekly--established 1900, ceased c. 1904.
Weekly, Democrat--established 1909, merged with the Seneca Journal in 1952,continued by the Journal and Tribune.
Weekly, independent--established 1953.
Weekly c. 1911.
Compiled by: Jennie Boggs in Jan-2005
Weekly--established Sept 1840, moved to Anderson Jan 7, 1842.
Pickens County Messenger
Weekly--first appears in Ayer 1913 as founded in 1881. Ceased publication in Oct 1843 when paper was sold to James L. Orr, who then founded the Anderson Gazette.
Semi-monthly--established 1889, ceased c. 1890.
Semi-weekly--established Jun 6, 1938, ceased Jul 22, 1938.
Weekly, independent--established in Seneca in 1954, moved business office to Clemson in 1959, although continues to be published in Seneca. In Nov 1986 Messenger added the word “Weekender” to masthead and began new number system.
Weekly, irregular--”underground” mimeographed publication of the early 1970s.
Weekly--established 1924, ceased c. 1925.
Weekly, Democrat--established 1891, ceased c. 1895.
Weekly--established 1883, ceased in 1891 when purchased by People’s Journal (Pickens)
Weekly--established 1895, ceased c. 1896.
Weekly--established 1982 by the Easley Progress.
Weekly--established May 18, 1964, only one issue published.
Weekly--established 1897, ceased c. 1898.
Weekly--Democrat--established 1914, ceased c. 1923.
Weekly, Democrat--established 1910, ceased c. 1912.
Weekly, Democrat--established 1924, ceased c. 1926.
Weekly--established 1929, ceased c. 1933.
Weekly--established 1849, moved to Walhalla in Feb 868. Paper was suspended c. 1862-1864, and new numbering system implemented after the Civil War. First Walhalla issue Feb 28, 1868.
Weekly--established 1980 by Pickens Sentinel for communities in northwestern Greenville County.
Weekly, Farmers’ Alliance--established 1891, merged with Pickens Sentinelin 1903 to create the Sentinel-Journal.
Weekly--established 1871k, merged with People’s Journal in 1903 to create the Sentinel-Journal, resumed original name of Pickens Sentinel in Oct 1911.
Weekly--created by merger of People’s Journal and Pickens Sentinel in 1903. Pickens Sentinel resumed original name on Oct 12, 1911.
Compiled by: Jennie Boggs in Jan-2005