Consider Researching Adjacent County Borders

Compiled by: Paul M. Kankula NN8NN (non-copyrighted)

10 May 2013

ANDERSON Main Page OCONEE Main Page

PICKENS Main Page

 

 

 

CONSIDER RESEARCHING ADJACENT COUNTIES

 

 

 

Currently, the State of South Carolina is consisted of 46 counties.  The most populous county is Greenville and the least is McCormick.

 

Abbeville, Aikin, Allendale, Anderson, Bamberg, Barnwell, Beaufort, Berkeley, Calhoun, Charleston, Cherokee, Chester, Chesterfield, Clarendon, Colleton, Darlington, Dillion, Dorchester, Edgefield, Fairfield, Florence, Georgetown, Greenville, Greenwood, Hampton, Horry, Jasper, Kershaw, Lancaster, Laurens, Lee, Lexington, Marion, Marlboro, McCormick, Newberry, Oconee, Orangeburg, Pickens, Richland, Saluda, Spartanburg, Sumter, Union, Williamsburg & York

 

( Be sure to visit http://rootsweb.ancestry.com/~scoconee/history-county.html. )

 

 

HISTORICAL DISTRICTS & COUNTIES:

 

During the Colonial Period, the land along our Atlantic Ocean coast was divided into Parishes.  Then as people migrated towards Cherokee Land, Districts and Counties were formed. 

 

Bartholomew County was established in 1785 from Charleston District. It was abolished in 1791.

 

Beaufort District was established in 1768 from Granville County. It was abolished in 1800.

 

Berkeley #1 County was established in 1682 from Craven County. It was abolished in 1768. 

Berkeley #2 County was established in 1785 from Charleston District. It was abolished in 1791. 

Berkeley #3 was established in 1882 and remains today.

 

Camden District was established in 1768 from Craven County. It was abolished in 1800.

 

Carteret County was established in 1684 from Colleton County. It was abolished in 1708.

 

Charles Town District was established in 1768 from Berkeley and Colleton Counties. It was renamed Charleston District in 1785, and It was abolished in in 1800.

 

Charleston #1 County was established in 1785 from Charleston District. It was abolished in 1791.  Charleston #2 was established in 1800 and remains today.

 

Cheraws District was established in 1768 from Craven County. It was abolished in 1800.

 

Claremont County was established in 1785 from Camden County. It was abolished in 1800.

 

Clarendon #1 County was established in 1785 from Camden County. It was abolished in 1800. 

Clarendon #2 was re-established in 1855 and remains today.

 

Colleton #1 County was established in 1682 from Craven County. It was abolished in 1768. 

Colleton #2 County was established in 1785 from Charleston District. It was abolished in 1791. 

Colleton #3 was established in 1800 from Charleston District and remains today.

 

Craven County was part of Carolina's first charter in 1664. It was abolished in1768.

 

Georgetown District was established in 1768 from Craven County. It was abolished in 1800.

 

Granville #1 County was established in 1708 from Carteret County. It was abolished in 1768. 

Granville #2 County was established in 1785 from Beaufort District. It was abolished in 1791.

 

Hilton County was established in 1785 from Beaufort District. It was abolished in 1791.

 

Kingston County was established in 1785 from Georgetown District. It was abolished in 1801.

 

Lewisburg County was established in 1785 from Orangeburg District. It was abolished in 1791.

 

Lexington #1 County was established in 1785 from Orangeburg District. It was abolished in 1791.  Lexington #2 was re-established in 1804 from Orangeburg County and remains today.

 

Liberty County was established in 1785 from Georgetown District. It was abolished in 1798.

 

Lincoln County was established in 1785 from Beaufort District. It was abolished in 1791.

 

Marion County was established in 1785 from Charleston District. It was abolished in 1791.

 

Ninety-Six District was established in 1768 from Indian lands. It was abolished in 1800.

 

Orangeburgh District was established in 1768 from Orangburgh Township and Amelia Township. Name changed to Orangeburg District in 1783. It was abolished in 1800.

 

Orange County was established in 1785 from Orangeburg District. It was abolished in 1791.

 

Pendleton County was was established in 1789 from Cherokee Indian lands. It was joined to the Washington District in 1791 along with Greenville County. In 1798 Washington District was renamed Pendleton District, including Pendleton County and Greenville County. In 1800 Pendleton County and Greenville County emerged. The remaining Pendleton County was It was abolished in in 1826. 

 

Pendleton District was was established in 1798 by renaming Washington District and was abolished in 1800.  Pendleton County was abolished in 1826.

 

Pinckney District was established in 1791 from Ninety-six District and Cheraws District. It was abolished in 1800.

 

Salem County was established in 1792 from Claremont County and Clarendon County. It was abolished in 1800.

 

Shrewsbury County was established in 1785 from Beaufort District. It was abolished in 1791.

 

Spartan County was established in 1785 from Ninety-six District. Name was changed to Spartanburg County in 1791 and remains today.

 

Washington County was established in 1785 from Charleston District. It was abolished in 1791.

 

Washington District was established in 1791 from Cherokee Indian lands. Washington District included Greenville County and Pendleton County.  Washington District was renamed Pendleton District in 1798.

 

Winton County was established in 1785 from Orangeburg District. It was abolished in 1791.

 

Winyah County was established in 1785 from Georgetown District. It was abolished in 1800.

 

 

ADJACENT COUNTIES:

 

ABBEVILLE (est. 1785):

 

- Greenville,SC - located to the North

- Anderson,SC - located to the North

- Laurens,SC - located to the Northeast

- Greenwood,SC - located to the East

- McCormick,SC - located to the Southeast

- Elbert,GA - located to the West

 

AIKEN (est. 1871):

 

- Saluda,SC - located to the North

- Lexington,SC - located to the Northeast

- Orangeburg,SC - located to the East

- Barnwell,SC - located to the South

- Burke,GA - located to the Southwest

- Edgefield,SC - located to the West

- Richmond,GA - located to the West

 

ALLENDALE (est.1919):

 

- Bamberg,SC - located to the Northeast

- Colleton,SC - located to the East

- Hampton,SC - located to the Southeast

- Screven,GA - located to the Southwest

- Burke,GA - located to the West

- Barnwell,SC - located to the Northwest

 

ANDERSON (est. 1826):

 

- Pickens,SC - located to the North

- Greenville,SC - located to the Northeast

- Laurens,SC - located to the East

- Abbeville,SC - located to the South

- Elbert,GA - located to the Southwest

- Hart,GA - located to the West

- Oconee,SC - located to the Northwest

 

BARNWELL (est. 1798):

 

- Aiken,SC - located to the North

- Bamberg,SC - located to the East

- OrangeburgSC - located to the East

- Allendale,SC - located to the Southeast

- Burke,GA - located to the Southwest

 

CHEROKEE (est. 1897):

 

- Cleveland,NC - located to the North

- York,SC - located to the East

- Union,SC - located to the South

- Spartanburg,SC - located to the West

- Rutherford,NC - located to the Northwest

 

CHESTERFIELD (est. 1798):

 

- Anson,NC - located to the North

- Richmond,NC - located to the Northeast

- Marlboro,SC - located to the East

- Darlington,SC - located to the Southeast

- Kershaw,SC - located to the Southwest

- Lancaster,SC - located to the West

- Union,NC - located to the Northwest

 

DILLION(est. 1910):

 

- Robeson, NC - located to the North

- Columbus, NC - located to the North

- Horry, SC - located to the East

- Marion, SC - located to the South

- Florence, SC - located to the Southwest

- Marlboro, SC - located to the West

 

EDGEFIELD (est. 1785):

 

- Saluda, SC - located to the Northeast

- Aiken, SC - located to the East

- Richmond, GA - located to the Southwest

- Columbia, GA - located to the Southwest

- McCormick, SC - located to the West

- Greenwood, SC - located to the Northwest

 

GREENVILLE (est. 1798):

 

- Henderson, NC - located to the North

- Polk, NC - located to the Northeast

- Spartanburg, SC - located to the East

- Laurens, SC - located to the Southeast

- Abbeville, SC - located to the South

- Anderson, SC - located to the Southwest

- Pickens, SC - located to the West

- Transylvania, NC - located to the Northwest

 

 

HAMPTON (est. 1787):

 

- Bamberg, SC - located to the North

- Colleton, SC - located to the East

- Beaufort, SC - located to the Southeast

- Jasper, SC - located to the South

- Effingham, GA - located to the Southwest

- Screven, GA - located to the West

- Allendale, SC - located to the Northwest

 

HORRY (est. 1801):

 

- Columbus, NC - located to the Northeast

- Brunswick, NC - located to the East

- Robeson, NC - located to the Northwest

- Georgetown, SC - located to the Southwest

- Marion, SC - located to the West

- Dillon, SC - located to the Northwest

 

JASPER (est. 1912):

 

- Hampton, SC - located to the North

- Beaufort, SC - located to the East

- Chatham, GA - located to the South

- Effingham, GA - located to the West

 

LANCASTER (est. 1798):

 

- Union, NC - located to the North

- Chesterfield, SC - located to the East

- Kershaw, SC - located to the South

- Fairfield, SC - to Southwest

- York, SC - to West

- Chester, SC - to West

- Mecklenburg, NC - located to the Northwest

 

MARLBORO (est. 1798):

 

- Richmond, NC - located to the North

- Scotland, NC - located to the Northeast

- Robeson, NC - located to the East

- Dillon, SC - located to the East

- Florence, SC - located to the South

- Darlington, SC - located to the Southwest

- Chesterfield, SC - located to the West

- Anson, NC - located to the Northwest

 

McCORMICK (est. 1914):

 

- Greenwood, SC - located to the Northeast

- Edgefield, SC - located to the East

- Columbia, GA - located to the South

- Lincoln, GA - located to the West

- Elbert, GA - located to the Northwest

- Abbeville, SC - located to the Northwest

 

OCONEE (est. 1868):

 

- Jackson, NC - located to the North

- Transylvania, NC - located to the Northeast

- Pickens, SC - located to the East

- Anderson, SC - located to the Southeast

- Hart, GA - located to the South

- Franklin, GA - located to the South

- Stephens, GA - located to the Southwest

- Habersham, GA - located to the West

- Rabun, GA - located to the West

- Macon, NC - located to the Northwest

 

PICKENS (est. 1826):

 

- Transylvania, NC - located to the North

- Greenville, SC - located to the East

- Anderson, SC - located to the South

- Oconee, SC - located to the West

 

SPARTANBURG (est. 1785):

 

- Rutherford, NC - located to the North

- Cherokee, SC - located to the East

- Union, SC - located to the Southeast

- Laurens, SC - located to the South

- Greenville, SC - located to the West

- Polk, NC - located to the West

 

YORK (est. 1798):

 

- Gaston, NC - located to the North

- Mecklenburg, NC - located to the Northeast

- Lancaster, SC - located to the East

- Chester, SC - located to the South

- Union, SC - located to the Southwest

- Cherokee, SC - located to the West

- Cleveland, NC - located to the Northwest

 

 

If your hunting for a SC Cemetery, be sure to visit SC Cemetery GPS Project at http://rootsweb.ancestry.com/~scoconee/Cemetery_GPS/