Chapter IV - The Profession of Medicine
John Clarke Budlong, surgeon general of Rhode Island, was born in Cranston, R.I., August 28th, 1836. According to a genealogical table prepared by Joseph A. Budlong, of Providence, he is a lineal descendant of Francis Budlong, the first settler of the name in Rhode Island. The ancient record of his marriage reads thus: 'Francis Budlong and Rebecca Howard, widow of Joseph Howard, were married on Friday, March 19, 1668-9, in her father's house John Lippitt's.' Francis Budlong, his wife and all his family except an infant son, were massacred by the Narragansetts in November, 1675, near the outbreak of King Phillip's war. This child, John, was carried away a captive, but was rescued four years later by a maternal relative. He prospered, owning in 1692, 25 acres of land which rapidly increased to several hundred. Such enterprise could not fail of appropriate recompense, and accordingly we find his son, Moses, and his grandson, Samuel, contracting such favorable alliances that in the next generation, Samuel 2d, and still more completely in Samuel 3d, flowed harmoniously commingled, not only the blood of Roger Williams and the Watermans, but of the oldest and best families of the state. The last named, Samuel 3d, enjoyed the life companionship of Rachel Martin, a lineal descendant of Christopher Martin, who came over in the 'Mayflower'. To them was born the subject of this sketch.
At an early age he attended the public schools of his native town and later entered the Fruit Hill Classical Insititute, where he carried off the first honors of his class. At Smithville Seminary, now Lapham Institute, he spent a year or more pursuing special branches preparatory to studying medicine. In 1856 he placed himself under the tuition of his brother-in-law, Isaac W. Sawin, of Centredale, R.I. The next year he entered upon his first course of lectures at the Homeopathic Medical College of Pennsylvania, in Philadelphia, but his second course was deferred until the fall of 1862, that he might secure the wherewithal by teaching school in North Providence. He received his diploma March 3d, 1863, and opened an office at No. 134 North Twelfth street, which he maintained as long as he remained in the Quaker City. During the time he was attending the customary clinical courses at Pennsylvania and Blockley Hospitals, he studied surgical anatomy and operative surgery, under Doctor D. Hayes Agnew, who furnished him with a diploma certifying to his proficiency in those branches.
At the beginning of the civil war Doctor Budlong tendered his services to Governor Sprague for the medical staff of volunteers. However, not receiving orders to appear before the examining board until he was advanced in his final lecture course, permission was granted to complete his studies. In July, 1863, he enlisted in the Third Regiment of Rhode Island Cavalry, and was immediately appointed assistant surgeon of that regiment. November 16th, 1863, he was promoted to the rank of surgeon, and a month later, with the First Battalion, sailed for New Orleans, where they reported to General Banks, January 14th, 1864. During the famous Red River Campaign they were assigned to the Fifth Brigade Cavalry Division, Department of the Gulf, Colonel Gooding, U.S.A., commanding, and thus participating in the battles of Sabine Cross Roads, Pleasant Hill, Marksville Plain, Kane River, Yellow Bayou, and numerous lesser affrays. Doctor Budlong remained with the army until November 29th, 1865, when he was mustered out.
Once more a free man, he returned to his native state, and entered into partnership with his late preceptor, Doctor Sawin, at Centredale. In 1868 the senior member of the firm removed to Providence, leaving the entire field to his associate, who succeeded in building up a large practice. Finding his duties were beginning to impair his health, Doctor Budlong attempted to secure a competent and worthy associate, and was rewarded in associating with Charles A. Barnard, M.D. In 1883 he transferred to Doctor Barnard his business at Centredale and removed to Providence, where he has since resided and practiced his profession.
On June 7th, 1866, Doctor Budlong married Martha Alexander, daughter of the late Doctor and Professor Walter and Matilda (Massey) Williamson of Philadelphia. To them have been born seven sons and one daughter.
Doctor Budlong was baptized into the fellowship of the Allendale (R.I.) Baptist church by the Reverend Francis Smith in 1857, but in 1863 he united with Grace (P.E.) church of Philadelphia. He subsequently served as vestryman in the parish of St. Thomas, at Greenville, R.I., and St. Peter's at Manton. Despite the fundamental antagonism of the respective creeds of these denominations, we find a gentleman professing successively the tenets of both, without imperiling in the least his Christian reputation, while not a few belonging to one only, find the utmost difficulty in maintaining even the pretense of piety.
On July 16th, 1863, Doctor Budlong was commissioned surgeon of the Pawtucket Light Guard Battalion; May 11th, 1874, brigade surgeon of the Second Brigade of the Rhode Island Militia, and March 8th, 1875, by vote of the general assembly, over all competitors, surgeon general of the state, to fill a vacancy caused by the death of Howard King, M.D. He was reelected to the position without formal opposition in 1879, 1884 and 1889, when but one vote was thrown against him in the entire Grand Committee.
Doctor Budlong represented the Rhode Island Homeopathic Society at the World's Convention, held in 1876, and about that time enrolled himself in the American Institute of Homeopathy, of which organization he is still a prominent member. In 1880 he was elected treasurer of the Rhode Island Homeopathic Medical Society, and the following year was chosen president of the same. He has been further complimented by election as honorary member of the New York State Homeopathic Medical Society in 1881, and of the Massachusetts Society in 1886.
The New Jersy Mutual Benefit Life Insurance company made him medical examiner in 1867, and the Hahnemann in 1869. He has also examined for the Phoenix Life, Worcester Mutual Life, the Provident of New York, and others. The Rhode Island Homeopathic Hospital has profited by his services as visiting surgeon since its opening in March, 1886. Recently he has been placed on its board of trustees. Among other positions he has held the office of chairman of the school committee. Doctor Budlong is also interested in Masonic affairs, being a member of What Cheer Lodge, the Cavalry commandery, and of the Rhode Island Sovereign Consistory 32 Scottish Rite, all of Providence. Moreover, he is enrolled in Prescott Post, No. 1, G. A. R., in the Rhode Island Soldiers and Sailors' Historical Society, and in the Massachusetts Commandery of the Military Order of the Loyal Legion of the United States.
Briefly, Doctor Budlong is of commanding presence, dignified bearing, modest and retiring, as well as forebearing disposition, kind manner and genial companionship; in harmonious relations not only with every member of the state society, but with the entire state profession as well; esteemed by all who know him, most by those who know him best.
p. 88d - 89: Robert Hall, M.D., of Providence city, is distinctively a professional man, and one who has but little time for other than strictly professional work. As a physician, he belongs to a class who lead the profession, and to whom the world is indebted, especially during these latter years, for the great progress made in the science of healing art. Doctor Hall was born in the town of West Greenwich, R.I., May 18th, 1830. His parents, Robert and Zilpha (Weaver) Hall, gave their son the work allotted to all farmers' boys, and such educational advantages as the country district school afforded. When 17 years of age, he went to the academy at Worcester, Mass., and subsequently attended the seminary at East Greenwich, R.I. When 20 years of age, he began teacing school, and the year after commenced his medical studies under Geroge D. Wilcox, now of Providence. In the spring of 1856 he received his degree of M.D., from the college of Physicians and Surgeons of New York city, and in 1857 located, in the practice of his profession, at Centredale, R.I., where he remained 14 years.
August 20th, 1861, he was married to Susan Wood Randall, daughter of Stephen and Adaline Randall of Warwick, R.I. Her father was a manufacturer. He was also the inventor of a machine for cottonizing flax, which was in general use for several years. After the war, he went South, and was engaged for some time in the erection of cotton mills. In 1871 Doctor Hall removed to Providence and formed a partnership with Doctor A. B. Foster, with whom he remained 11 years. In 1883 he purchased the handsome home where he now resides. Doctor Hall practices homeopathy, although a graduate of the old school, being convinced that the system of homeopathy is superior to that of allopathy. After his graduation in medicine, he attended other hospitals and colleges that he might the more thoroughly prepare himself for his chosen field of labor. He attended lectures at the Bellevue Hospital, at the Bellevue Hospital Medical College, and at Blackwell's Island Hospitals, and afterward completed his post-graduate course by spending five months in the hospital at Vienna, Austria. He is a member of the Rhode Island Homeopathic Society, and of the American Institute of Homeopathy. Doctor Hall's practice is general in its character, but he has had marked success in gynecology, and in the treatment of fever. During the epidemic commencing in the fall of 1883 and ending in the spring of 1884 he treated 65 cases of typhoid fever without losing a case. During the epidemic influenza, of the winter of 1889-90, he treated a large number of cases - over seven hundred in two months' time - without the loss of a single patient. He is decidedly a successsful practitioner of medicine, and has had a very extensive business for many years.
Among the physicians of the town of Glocester of former times the following may be mentioned. Doctor Samuel Mowry, who practiced in Chepachet for over 40 years, was educated at Dudley and Amherst academies, and attended medical lectures in Boston in 1825 and 1826. He was admitted a member of the Rhode Island Medical Society in 1838. He died at Providence. Doctor Reuben Mason practiced for a great many years in Glocester. He was a surgeon in General William West's brigade in the revolution. Doctor Allen Potter settled in the western part of Glocester in 1825 and practiced medicine there until overcome by the infirmities of age. He studied medicine with his father in Massachusetts three years, and two years with Doctor Hubbard, of Pomfret, Conn. Doctor Jervis J. Smith was the son of Rufus Smith of Burrillville. He studied medicine with his uncle, W. Smith, M.D., and was admitted a member of the Rhode Island Medical Society in 1833. He settled in Chepachet and had a large practice in the vicinity. He was a prominent Mason. He died in 1864, and was buried at Swan Point Cemetery, Providence.
George Henry Kenyon, A.M., M.D., was born in the city of Providence on the first day of April, 1845. He is the eldest son of George Amos and Isabella Greene (Brown) Kenyon. His ancestors on his father's side came from England, and were among the early settlers of that portion of Rhode Island known as the 'South County', locating somewhere in either North or South Kingstown. His maternal ancestors came originally from Wales, and located in the vicinity of Wickford, R.I. The place first occupied by the first of the family, Beriah Brown, has ever since been, and is now occupied by his descendants. He came in the year 1640 and 20 years later built the house which now stands there and which is still occupied by his direct descendants.
Doctor Kenyon received his early education in the public schools of the state, and then spent two and a half years in study at the Friend's Boarding School in Providence. There he prepared for college and entered Brown University, where he graduated, receiving the degree of A.B. Subsequently the degree of A.M. was conferred upon him by the same institution. Early in life he had acquired a strong desire to study medicine and during the last two years in college devoted much of his time to that end, taking a course in practical chemistry in the laboratory at Brown. He entered the office of Doctors Capron & Perry as a student, and from there went to the medical department of the University of Vermont, where he graduated as Doctor of Medicine in June, 1866. Returning to Providence, he joined the Rhode Island Medical Society at the annual meeting in June, 1866, and commenced at once upon the practice of his chosen profession. Soon after he became a member of the Providence Medical Association, which association he has served both as secretary and president. He was also for a time the treasurer of the Rhode Island Medical Society. He is also a member of the American Medical Association.
During an active and busy life he has also found time to pay some attention to matters other than medicine. In 1862 he enlisted as a private in the Tenth Regiment of Rhode Island Volunteers, serving in the Army of the Potomac during the term of enlistment. Some years later he became a member of the Grand Army of the Republic, joining Prescott Post, No. 1, of Providence, in which he held the position of post surgeon for two or three years, and is at present the medical director of the Department of Rhode Island, G.A.R. Uniting with the militia of the state he was for a number of years surgeon of the United Train of Artillery, which position he resigned in 1883 to accept the appointment on the governor's staff of assistant surgeon general of the state, which position he still occupies.
He has given some attention as well to fraternal societies, more particularly to Freemasonry. He is a member of Rising Son Lodge, No. 30, A.F. & A.M., having passed through the various offices in that body, Calvary Commandery, K.T., of the Rhode Island Sovereign Consistory Scottish Rite, and has also held various offices in the Grand Lodge and is at this time serving his second year as grand master of Masons in Rhode Island. To this order he has devoted much time and attention, making steady progress in advancement, until crowned with the 33d degree.
Stanistas A. Bouvier, M.D., was born in St. Marcel, in the province of Quebec, May 5th, 1864. He attended St. Aime Academy, and graduated from Victoria College, Montreal, in 1888. He then joined his family at Marlboro, Mass., and soon after commenced the practice of medicine at Manville, where he has continued until the present time.
Hiram Bucklin, M.D., was born in Seekonk, Mass. (now East Providence, R.I.), in 1803. He studied medicine under Doctor Artemus W. Johnson, and graduated from Brown University. He practiced medicine at Valley Falls for 20 years, and died there, April 17th, 1845.
Frank George Burnett, M.D., was born in Dudley, Mass., May 30th, 1860. He was fitted for college at Nicholas Academy, in that place, and after taking a course of lectures at the University of Burlington, Vt., and at the Long Island Hospital, Brooklyn, N.Y., he received the degree of M.D. from the University of New York, in 1885. He commenced practice in Windsor, Conn., in the same year, but in the winter of 1888 he removed to Pawtucket, where he now practices. He is a member of the Hartford County Medical Association, and the Connecticut and Rhode Island medical societies.
p. 89 - 91: John J. Baxter, M.D., son of Charles and Elizabeth (McQueeney) Baxter, was educated at Christian Brothers' High School in Providence, and graduated at the University Medical College of New York in 1885. During the same year he began the practice of medicine in Woonsocket, where he still continues. He married Jennie C., daughter of Thomas Furlong, of Providence, in 1886. He is a member of the hospital staff, and also a member of the Rhode Island Medical Society.
Doctor Charles A. Barnard, of Graniteville, is a native of Macon, Ga., where he was born August 16th, 1843. When he was quite young his father removed to Providence, where he received a liberal education. He afterward graduated at the New York Medical College, in 1878. He studied medicine, preparatory to his lecture course, under Doctors Wilcox and Barrows of Providence. Doctor Barnard is health officer for the town of Johnston, and is also medical examiner for the district.
Doctor Sanford S. Burton, son of John and Harriet T. Burton, natives of England, was born at Providence, August 4th, 1862. He was educated in the city schools, and in the medical department of the University of Vermont, and in the College of Physicians and Surgeons of Baltimore, graduating thence in 1883. He was a student of Doctor Timothy Newell of Providence. Upon his graduating he immediately began the practice of his profession in Providence. He was surgical externe of the Rhode Island Hospital from 1883 to 1886, and physician of the Providence Dispensary in 1883 and 1884. He was also medical examiner for the Metropolitan Life Insurance company in 1884 and 1885. He was married April 21st, 1886, to Antoinette W., daughter of Orrin T. and Mary J. Angell, of North Providence. They have two children: Maud A., born August 26th, 1886, and Sanford S., Jr., born October 30th, 1887.
Doctor Israel Bowen, born January 27th, 1812, in Coventry, R.I., was a son of John and Sally Bowen. He attended the common schools of his native town, and the Casteton Seminary of Vermont. He studied medicine with Doctor Carpenter of Foster, and afterward graduated at the Vermont Medical School in 1837. He came the same year and commenced the practice of medicine in Johnston. He was married in 1839, to Ruth M Waterman of Coventry, daughter of Stephen and Eliza Waterman. He practiced until his death, which occurred May 27th, 1879. He left three children: John E., Abbie M. and Annie S.
William James Burge, M.D., was born April 12th, 1831, being the son of Reverend Lemuel Burge, whose wife was Elizabeth Ellery Shaw, daughter of William Gorham Shaw. Doctor Burge was educated at home, at the Washington Academy in Wickford (his native place), at the Greenwich Academy, and under the tuition of Reverend Doctor Crane, by whom he was fitted to enter as a sophomore at college. At this point, however, he changed his course, and commenced at once the study of medicine, under the care of Doctor James H. Eldredge, of East Greenwich. He was graduated from the College of Physicians and Surgeons of New York City, March 11th, 1853. He located for six months in New York, and occupied a chair at the Central Dispensary, and filled the office of an attache of the New York Lying-in Asylum. He removed to Salisbury, Conn., where he practiced for a year, and then associated himself with his brother, Doctor J. H. H. Burge, in Brooklyn, N.Y. After three years spent there he spent three years in Taunton, Mass., when the war broke out, and he entered the navy as a surgeon and served four years. At the close of the war he located in Atchinson, Kansas, where he practiced for eight years. He then returned to Rhode Island, and since then has practiced here, being located at Pawtuxet, in the town of Cranston. He has been twice married; first to a step-daughter of Bishop Vail of Kansas, by whom two daughters are living - Mrs. Jeter of Bethlehem, and Miss Bessie Vail Burge; and second to Mrs. M. D. Arnold, daughter of the Hon. James R. Doolittle, of Racine, Wis., by whom he has two daughters - Dorothea Brenton and Sara Doolittle.
Elwood Adfer Ballou, M.D., was born in the town of Burrillville, on the 24th of September, 1858. There he resided until 1864, when his mother died and he was placed under the care of a farmer in Smithfield, Mr. T. E. Phetteplace, with whom he lived about 20 years. He attended the common schools during the early years, afterward the State Normal School and Mt. Pleasant Academy. In 1884 he entered the office of Doctor E. B. Smith, in Providence, and studied medicine with him one year. He then attended lectures at the University Medical College in New York, and at Dartmouth Medical College, where he graduated November 23d, 1887. He commenced the practice of medicine at Greenville the next year, and has remained there to the present time. He was married March 1st, 1882, to Harriet M. Conant, at Northbridge, Mass., and they have a son, Thurston P., six years of age, and a daughter, Elnora E., four years of age.
Albert F. Barry was born in Nashua, N.H., in the year 1866. His boyhood was spent under favorable circumstances, he attending the public schools, and later receiving the instruction of a private tutor and a college course, graduating at the University of New York City. He began practice in that city, but came to Providence in February, 1889.
George Leonard Barnes, M.D., son of George L. and Eliza G. Barnes, was born in Smithfield, March 9th, 1839. He was brought up in that town, where he received his early education. After taking a partial course at Brown University he attended the University of Pennsylvania, where he graduated in 1865. He then opened an office in New York city, in the fall of that year. In May, 1866, he established himself in the practice at Hudson, N.Y., and after remaining there two years he settled in Providence, where he was very successful in his practice. He was married to Nettie Carr, April 3d, 1866. Four children have been born to them: Frederick A., Bradbury J., Carrie L., and Bradbury L. The first and last are living, the other two died young. About the beginning of 1884 his mind began to fail, and he gradually became incapacitated for his work. The disease grew upon him, and December 29th, 1885, he was taken to Butler Hospital, and is still an inmate of that institution. He was one of the founders of the Homeopathic Dispensary and Homeopathic Hospital, both of Providence, and was a prominent member of the Rhode Island Homeopathic Society. His father had been a successful lawyer in Providence, and at his wish the son had adopted the profession of medicine. On the death of his father a large property had fallen to the son, and the subsequent loss of this was the occasion, if not the cause, of the development of the mental disease which retired him from active duties at an early age.
p. 91 - 94: R. Frank Cooke Browne, M.D., was born at Warren, R.I., October 6th, 1855. He was the son of S. Carter Browne, D.D., and his wife Maria Russell Browne. He was educated privately until able to complete his studies at grammar and high school. He then entered the employ of Albert L. Calder, in the drug business, and in 1873 he became a student of E. T. Caswell, M.D., then surgeon to the Rhode Island Hospital. In May, 1874, he entered the medical department of Boston University, remaining there until the spring of 1876. In September of that year he entered the office of Doctors Schneider & Boynton, of Cleveland, Ohio, where he could have unusual advantages in the study of surgery in the hospital practice of his instructors. He was among the surgeons on the relief train from Clevelend to the scene of the terrible disaster at Ashtabula in the winter of 1876-77. He completed his studies at the Cleveland Medical College in the spring of 1877, but remained in the employ of Doctors Schneider & Boynton till the following July. In September he was married to May Logan, daughter of William Logan, of Cleveland, and soon after removed to Warren, R.I., where he commenced practice, and soon saw a very prosperous business accumulating on his hands. In the midst of it, in November, 1882, he was prostrated by a stroke of paralysis, having already been prostrated by one stroke while at Cleveland. On September 20th, 1883, his wife died, and he now determined to abandon his practice for the time being. He spent the winter in study in the hospitals of New York city, and sailed for Europe in the spring of 1884. After visiting the hospitals of London, Paris and Vienna, he returned to Rhode Island, resuming practice in the city of Providence. He soon after formed a partnership with William Caldwell, M.D., but failing health obliged him to retire from the excessive work of a city practice, and he located at Riverside, in East Providence, where he still resides, practicing his profession, and contributing to professional and general publications of the time. He is actively interested in the political affairs of the state, and gives his allegiance to the democratic party. In religious matters he is a churchman, having been a vestryman of St. Mark's church, and is a member of several of the secret societies of the state.
Asa W. Brown, M.D., is of Puritan stock, being of the ninth generation from the "Mayflower", and was born in Sterling, Conn., September 28th, 1813. His father was Daniel Brown, a farmer in moderate circumstances. The family lived in Sterling until our subject was three years old, when they removed to Killingly. Our subject attended the common schools of the time, and at the age of 18 began teaching school, and after his 21st year received an academical education, for which he paid out of the small earnings of his school teaching. Having a fixed desire to enter the medical profession he labored against unfavorable circumstances for many years, but finally graduated from the Homeopathic College of Cleveland, Ohio, in the spring of 1853. He soon after commenced practice in Centreville, R.I., but his health being poor he removed to Mystic Bridge, in the hope that the change might benefit him. There he remained until 1872, when he was obliged to give himself rest for a time on account of his health. In 1874 he located in Providence and soon had a large practice, and is still engaged in that field, enjoying good health and actively attending to business, at the age of 76 years. He has been three times married; first, at the age of 24, to Lucy M. Pray, by whom he had one daughter; second, to Maria Kies, by whom he had one son; third to Mrs. Lucy A. Brigs (sic), when he was 69 years old. She is still living. Mr. Brown tried several other pursuits in early life, previous to entering the medical profession, but in none found his congenial or successful calling until he found it in this, but here he has been uniformly successful.
Miss Lucy H. A. Brown, M.D., daughter of Doctor Asa W. Brown by his first wife, was born in Killingly, Conn, June 8th, 1841. Her mother died when Lucy was but two months old, but just before her death she had given her babe to her sister, who afterward proved to be a kind mother to her infant charge. On reaching years of helpfulness to herself Miss Brown learned telegraphy, and followed the art for two years, and afterward engaged as book-keeper and as cashier in business houses in Providence. In 1877, at the suggestion of a phrenologist, and in the face of discouragement of her friends, she determined to study medicine. After studying with Doctor Jewell, of Catskill, N.Y., for one year, she entered the Homeopathic Hospital College of Cleveland, Ohio, in the fall of 1880, and graduated from that institution with an honorable record of standing (over 90 per cent.), March 8th, 1882. She then came to Providence, and May 9th opened an office on Chestnut street. With health somewhat depleted by close application to her studies, the work of her practice soon began to wear upon her health, and after two years she was so far broken down that a change was necessary. She left this field and located at Normal Park, Ill., where she procured a license and practiced. In about two years her health was restored, and she returned to Providence, at first occupying the office with her father. Her practice soon grew so large that she opened an office by herself, at 336 Willard avenue, where she is now located, in the enjoyment of a good practice.
L. H. Beaudry, M.D., was born December 23d, 1842, in St. Damase, St. Hyacinthe county, Quebec; being the son of Francis X. and Eusebie (Hebert) Beaudry. His father was a farmer, and is still living in Canada, at the age of 89 years. Our subject went to the parish school from 1850 to 1855, and from the latter date to 1861 attended St. Hyacinthe College. After leaving college he was for a time engaged in farming, with his father. He was married about that time, to Marie P. Lucier of his native town. They have had twelve children, of whom six died in infancy. Those living are: Marie Louise, now the wife of Doctor L. P. de Prandpie of Fall River, Mass.; Louis Philippe; Rodrigue D., Victorine H.; Edgar and Bertha. From 1866 to 1868 young Beaudry engaged as a teacher at St. Pie, Bagot county, Quebec, and in the latter year he began to study medicine at McGill University, Montreal. After graduating there with honors, in 1871, he practiced medicine 15 years at St. Cesaire, Rouville county, Quebec. Where there he held the office of councilman for two years, postmaster two years, and inspector of licenses under the federal liquor law, two years. From that place he removed to Pawtucket, where he has practiced since May 1st, 1886, being well patronized.
George A. Brug, M.D., the son of Philip and Marguertia Brug, was born in New York city, May 29th, 1853. He was educated in the public schools of Providence, R.I., and after graduating from the classical department of the high school, entered Brown University. After remaining there two years he took two courses of medical lectures at Bowdoin College, and one course at Detroit Medical School. He graduated with honors at Bowdoin in June, 1875. In September following he went to Europe, where he visited the principal hospitals in London, and after visiting other countries, spent eight months in hospital work in Vienna and six weeks in Paris, and four months in Strasburg in study. Returning to Providence he opened an office at 212 Broad street, and afterward moved to 137 Washington street. He has been engaged in practice in Providence for the past 11 years. He is a member of the Rhode Island Medical Society, the Providence Medical Association, and is connected with a number of charitable and beneficial orders, a surgeon in different organizations of militia, and has served as medical externe at the Rhode Island Hospital. He was married to Miss Eliza Cambell, at Norfolk, Mass., January 1st, 1879, and has three children: Philip G., Eden M. and Grace E.
Edwin Boulster, M.D., was born in North Smithfield, July 4th,
1843, his parents being Warren and Samantha M. Boulster. His education
was confined to the common schools until he was old enouph to earn the
means with which to pursue it further. He learned the trade of a
brass moulder, and by working at that and other kinds of work he was able
to pay his way at higher schools. He spent several terms in Lapham
Institute, North Scituate, and afterward learned the trade of a carpenter
and joiner, working in that line for several years. In 1872 and 1873
he took his first course in Bowdoin College, and in 1874 entered the Eclectic
University of Philadelphia. Graduating there in March, 1875, he went to
Burrillville and began practice. After eight years spent there he
entered a partnership with Doctor A. S. Wetherel at Woonsocket, but retained
his office in Burrillville. He is still practicing in both places,
mostly in Woonsocket. He was married in 1887, to Eudora E. Burlingame.
The Profession of Medicine Continued
The Newport County Reading Room Index More Biographies & History .