EDWARD U. HEATH, Hack, Board, Livery, Feed and Sales Stable, Rear of No. 38 Social Street. -- The well-known, liberally patronized livery, board and sales stable of Mr. Edward U. Heath was established in 1887, by Mr. Peter Gozea, who was succeeded by Mr. C. T. Heath in 1889, and in 1891 the business passed into the hands of the present proprietor, who is a son of Mr. C. T. Heath. The establishment is first-class in every respect. The premises utilized for the business comprise a stable and yard covering one-half an acre, a one-story carriage-house 50 x 75 feet in dimensions, and a two-story stable 40 x 30 feet in dimensions. The concern is furnished with all the latest improved stable fixtures, and there are superior stalls for the accommodation of forty horses. The stables are kept open at all hours of the day and night and horses, buggies, road-carts, hacks, and teams of all kinds are furnished at reasonable rates. The turnouts are not surpassed for elegance of style, anywhere in the city, and a special feature is made of supplying carriages for weddings, funerals, etc. Particular attention is paid to the care of transient horses, and horses boarded here by the day, week or month receive the care and watchfulness of a staff of experienced stablemen. Mr. Heath is extensively engaged in buying and selling horses, and is considered an expert judge of the noble animal. He makes a specialty of boarding horses and storing carriages, employs sufficient help, and everything left in his charge receives the best of care and treatment. Mr. Edward U. Heath is a native of Worcester, Mass., but has been a resident of Woonsocket for the past twelve years. He is a member of the American Mechanics, and is popular both in business and social circles.
O. J. ROBERGE, Fine Groceries, No. 6 Market Square. -- This enterprising merchant was first established in business in July, 1888, at No. 93 River Street. He removed to No. 84 Park Avenue in 1889, when he eventually sold out his interest there and opened the store at present occupied by him at No. 6 Market Square. The premises occupied here comprise a store, 20 x 40 feet in dimensions, heavily stocked with all kinds of fine groceries, including selected teas, pure coffees, spices, foreign and domestic fruits, and a full variety of all the various lines of goods usually found in a first-class grocery store. Mr. Roberge does a large wholesale and retail trade in Woonsocket and surrounding vicinity, his goods being so widely celebrated for their superiority and rock-bottom prices. Three competent salesmen are employed the year round and contribute satisfactorily to the general operations of the house, while two wagons are required to facilitate the transfer and shipment of goods. Mr. Roberge is a native of Canada, is a young man, and has lived in Woonsocket for twelve years.
ALPHA DRUG COMPANY, Registered Pharmacists, No. 207 Main Street. -- Although of comparatively recent establishment, the Alpha Drug Company's pharmacy has already assumed a leading place in Woonsocket. It is reliable headquarters for the dispensing of pure and potent drugs, chemicals, medicines and family remedies, as well as for the careful and accurate preparation of physicians' prescriptions and miscellaneous recipes, which are compounded at all hours of the day or night. The business was initiated in August, 1891, by the present copartners, Mr. Henry A. Whitney and Mr. William E. Williams, who are both registered pharmacists and members of the State Pharmaceutical Association. Mr. Henry A. Whitney is also the sole proprietor of the now celebrated 'Stop-cough' wafers, the trade controlled for which reaches all over the United States among dealers, druggists, etc., to order. These wafers are a prompt, safe and convenient remedy for coughs, colds, catarrh, hoarseness, asthma and all bronchial or throat troubles; and they are now kept as a standard proprietary article by trade houses all over the country. The store itself, 20 x 40 feet in floor space, is handsomely fitted in carved oak, with plate glass windows, soda fountain and other superior fixtures; and a very large, complete and carefully chosen stock is always on hand, of new and pure drugs, chemicals, patent and other medicines and family remedies, surgical appliances, druggists' sundries, perfumes, pharmaceutical specialties, fancy articles, toilet requisites, and a fine line of imported and domestic cigars. The talented proprietors, Mr. Henry A. Whitney, was born in Southbridge, Mass., coming to Woonsocket twenty years ago, and is a member of the F. and A. M.; while Mr. Williams is a young man of Danielsonville, Conn. birth, having resided in Woonsocket for the past thirteen years, and is a member of the Ancient Order of United Workmen and other societies.
G. L. DESAULNIERS, Teas, Coffees, Spices, Crockery, Glass and Tinware, Lamps, Cutleries, Silver Plated Ware and the 'Kent' Pattern Table Ware, No. 215 Main Street. -- This well and favorably known store was originally founded by Mr. O. T. Paradis in 1878, and he conducted it for eleven years, and then sold out to the present proprietor, by whom the business has since been continued with uninterrupted prosperity. The premises occupied, 18 x 90 feet in dimensions, are neatly appointed throughout and perfect in convenience of arrangement for the successful prosecution of the business, while a heavy and first-class stock is constantly carried, embracing the purest, freshest and choicest teas, coffees and spices, of the finest importation obtainable in the market. Two assistants are employed, while a team is in regular service supplying customers, all orders being promptly and reliably delivered throughout the city and environs, and patrons can always rely upon getting full weight, an excellent article, as well as prompt and polite attention at all times. A fine line of crockery, glass and tinware, lamps, cutlery and silver plated ware is also carried in stock, and these are given away as presents to all purchasers of teas and coffees. Mr. Desaulniers, who was born in Canada, has resided in this country for the past dozen years, and fully merits the success and popularity he has won.
ANDREW WALTHER, Leading City Tailor, Patriot Building, No. 179 Main Street. -- One of the most popular and best patronized merchant tailors in Woonsocket is Mr. Andrew Walther, who is a practical cutter of thirty years' experience and is a leading authority on gentlemen's fashionable attire. This prosperous business was first established in 1887 by Messrs. Buckley & Grout, who was succeeded by E. A. S. Grout in 1889, the present proprietor taking control in 1891. The commodious store occupied is handsomely fitted up, lighted by electricity, and contains at all times a large and carefully selected stock of imported and domestic goods, including all the newest textures, patterns and shades, so that the most fastidious can always be suited from his magnificent display. Fashionable tailoring is here done on correct principles, all the niceties of gentlemen's attire are given strict attention, while the styles are faultless and the work of the cutter and fitter is of the most skilled and perfect character. This house confines itself to custom work only, and although it has long maintained the lead for quality, elegance and style, yet its prices are remarkably moderate. From ten to twelve skilled hands are employed and the patronage is large, first-class and influential in this city and its immediate vicinity. Mr. Walther is of German nativity, has been a resident of this country twenty years, is a member of the Business Men's Association, the I. O. O. F., the A. O. U. W. and other societies.
E. A. THAYER & CO., Choice Family Groceries, No. 266 Main Street. One of the leading wholesale and retail grocers in Woonsocket is the responsible firm of Messrs. E. A. Thayer and Co. This important enterprise was established in 1877 by Mr. F. A. Childs, and in 1888 the present firm succeeded, the partners being Mr. Elmer A. Thayer and Mr. F. A. Childs. Choice family groceries, both staple and fancy, are largely dealt in, of which the chief are China and Japan teas, noted for their purity and flavor, Java and Mocha coffees of fine aroma, pure spices, canned meats, fruits, vegetables and fish, flour, cereals, biscuits, and a full line of imported table delicacies, such as anchovies, sardines, olives, capers, jellies, preserves, etc., as well as prime fruits and nuts, each line being of the most careful selection, with every regard for quality, purity and freshness. The trade controlled reaching among private families, boarding-houses, hotels, restaurants, clubs and retail dealers, is of such volume as to keep three wagons constantly busy in making deliveries, while it furnishes regular employment for six competent assistants. The store, 25 x 84 feet in area, is finely fitted and well ordered, and the heavy assortment of goods in each line always carried is arranged and displayed to distinct advantage, making a very tempting array. The two proprietors are both natives of Woonsocket, and Mr. Elmer A. Thayer is past regent of the Royal Arcanum, past chief justice of the Iron Hall, and is a prominent member of the F. and A. M., the Independent Order of Odd Fellows and other of our leading societies.
Wm. H. BAILEY & CO., Carriages, Express Wagons, Harnesses, Horse Clothing, Robes, Whips, Mats, Surcingles, Halters, Boots and Bandages for Horses, Etc., No. 21 Social Street. -- The largest and most liberally patronized house in its line in Woonsocket is that of Messrs. Wm. H. Bailey & Co. The business was established in 1889, and a large and influential trade has been established which extends throughout the New England States. The premises occupied comprise a three-story building, 55 x 75 feet in dimensions, supplied with every convenience for the storage and handling of the large and valuable stock constantly carried, which includes buggies, carriages and express wagons, obtained of the best manufacturers and sold at prices rarely duplicated elsewhere. A complete and valuable stock of harnesses, horse clothing, robes, whips, mats, surcingles, halters, boots and bandages for horses, is also kept. The firm have been agents for the Cortland Wagon Company since 1889. Five competent assistants are employed and orders are promptly and satisfactorily filled. The trade of this reliable firm, already large, is constantly increasing owning to the excellent quality of the goods handled. Mr. Wm. H. Bailey, the active member of the firm, is a native of New London, Conn., but has been a resident of Woonsocket for twenty-seven years. He is a prominent member of the F. and A. M., the Knights of Honor and other societies.
ANDREW DONAHOE, Wholesale and Retail Dealer in Foreign and Domestic Liquors and Cigars, Agent for the Hon. Frank Jones' Ale, Portsmouth, N. H., Nos. 12, 14, and 16 Arnold Street. -- This house presents a striking instance of what may be accomplished by a steady application to business and a just and honorable course of dealing. Mr. Donahoe established his business here in 1874 and has built up an extensive and influential patronage among first-class retailers throughout New England, owing to the unrivaled quality, purity and excellence of his wines and liquors. The premises occupied comprise a three-story building, 30 x 70 feet in dimensions, admirably equipped with every facility for the accommodation and preservation of the large and valuable stock. Among the leading specialties handled by this house are the J. M. Atherton copper stilled whiskies, the Mill Wood whiskies, Frank Jones' Portsmouth ale, Daniel Laurence & Sons Old Medford rum, Bass ale and Dublin porter of the best quality for family use, while the assortment also comprises the best wines, gins and brandies, Kentucky, Bourbon and rye whiskies, and the finest foreign and domestic liquors direct from the manufacturers, all of which are noted for their purity and evenness of quality, while they are entirely free from adulteration and possess a natural flavor and fine tonic properties. He is the only wholesale agent here for Frank Jones' ale, and also carries a fine line of foreign and domestic cigars. Mr. Donahoe was born in Ireland and came to this country in 1850. By honest industry he has won a prominent position in the business world and is a director of the National Globe Bank, a trustee of the Mechanics' Savings Bank, and identified with various local enterprises.
JAMES M. McCARTHY & CO., Dry Goods, Etc., No. 193 Main Street. -- The establishment of James M. McCarthy & Co. was founded in 1889, by Vaslett & McCarthy, the present firm succeeding in April, 1892. The store and basement, 35 x 105 feet in dimensions, is finely fitted up, lighted with electricity and supplied with the cash railway system. The establishment is stocked to repletion in all departments with new, choice and stylish goods. Mr. McCarthy brings to bear special qualifications as regards executive ability, sound judgment and influential connections, and secures at the earliest moment all the latest novelties in foreign and domestic dry goods, including silks, satins and velvets; the latest shades, patterns and textures in dress goods; and the finest makes of suits and cloaks. In underwear and white goods this house permanently takes the lead and enjoys an enviable reputation for offering the greatest variety at the lowest prices. Employment is given to twenty courteous assistants. The trade of the house is both wholesale and retail. Mr. James M. McCarthy, the active member of the firm, is a native of Providence, but has been a resident of Woonsocket since 1889. He is a prominent member of several societies, is popular in business and social circles and enjoys the confidence of his host of patrons.
Z. SYLVESTRE & BROTHER, Dealers in Hardware, Stoves, Ranges, Etc., No. 19 Monument Square. -- This business was established here in 1882, by the present proprietors, who have been steadily winning their way to popular favor and patronage. The premises occupied for the business comprise three stores, which cover an area of 75 x 50 feet. The stores are all connected and the stock in each is full and complete, comprising stoves and ranges, hardware, and household goods. Both members of the firm are practical sheet-iron workers and are prepared to furnish estimation on all classes of tinning and galvanized iron work, and are also prepared to set furnaces and ranges, guaranteeing satisfaction in every instance. Repairing and jobbing of every description receives prompt attention, and from six to twelve assistants are employed and two wagons are kept running, delivering goods. The house is connected by telephone and orders by call, No. 5231-4, will receive prompt attention. A large and influential local trade is enjoyed. Goods are sold for cash or on the popular instalment plan. The members of the firm, Messrs. Z. and D. Sylvestre, are both natives of Canada, but have been residents of the United States for thirty years and are energetic and popular business men.
J. N. CHAMBERLAIN, Photographer, Longley Building. -- The oldest-established and leading exponent of the photographer's art in Woonsocket is Mr. J. N. Chamberlain, who has the largest establishment of its kind in this community. Mr. Chamberlain, who is a native of Sturbridge, Mass., first embarked for himself in this branch of professional industry in that town about a quarter of a century ago, where he remained for a time and then removed to his present eligible quarters in this city. These premises, 30 x 40 feet in area, comprise ten rooms, which are perfectly arranged for the purposes of the business, the reception parlors being unexceptionally handsome, and adorned with many beautiful specimens of the proprietor's own work. The operating department is provided with all the latest and best improved appliances, and from five to eight skilled and efficient assistants are employed. Mr. Chamberlain makes a specialty of all branches of photography, pictures of all kinds, sizes and styles being produced, which are perfect likenesses and superior in finish, and beautiful cabinets are made at $3.00 and $5.00 per dozen. As an expert in India ink, crayon, water and oil colors and pastel work he is unsurpassed, and his pictures show that degree of elegance, neatest (sic) and beauty only attained by the thoroughly skilled photographic artist. Particular attention is given to outdoor views, and in the summer Mr. Chamberlain conducts a branch establishment at Martha's Vineyard. He also keeps on hand a fine stock of picture frames and easels suitable for all classes of work, and these are offered for sale at reasonable rates.
PHOENIX CRAYON COMPANY, A. Benoit, Manager, Nos. 84 and 88 Main Street. -- It is safe to make the statement that there is no branch of industry, art or science, in which such marked advances have been made during recent years, as in photography. Notwithstanding all that has been attained, much yet depends upon the skill and judgment of the operator in obtaining favorable and desirable results. Among the well-known and liberally patronized houses in Woonsocket engaged in this business, we desire to call the attention of our readers specially to the Phoenix Crayon Company, located at Nos. 84 and 88 Main Street. This concern so ably conducted by Mr. A. Benoit was established in 1881, at Fall River, moved to New Bedford in 1883, and has occupied the present desirable location since 1889. The premises utilized for the business comprise one floor, handsomely furnished and fitted up with every convenience, appliance and device known to the profession, including the best light, accessories, etc., and employment is afforded to four skilled and experienced assistants. Mr. Benoit is prepared to execute photography in all its branches, and in the highest style of the art, and pictures are produced in all styles from life-size to the most diminutive miniature, for lockets, and he also produces, faithful and true to life, portraits in oil, water colors and pastel, India ink or crayon, making a specialty of crayon work and of enlarging pictures of all kinds. The lowest prices prevail, and satisfaction is guaranteed in every instance. A large stock of frames is also carried. Mr. Benoit, the manager of the company, is a native of Canada, but has been a resident of the United States for twenty-two years; he is a practical photographer, a young man of enterprise and ability, as well as of high artistic attainments, honorable in his dealings and highly respected in social and commercial circles.
JOHN LEECH, Boots, Shoes, Rubbers, Etc., No. 100 Main Street. -- Mr. Leech is a native of England, and has been resident in Woonsocket since 1852. He established his boot and shoe business in 1865, and has since built up a most influential and successful concern, with a large local trade which is constantly growing. The boots and shoes handled by him are from the factories of the best manufacturers, and are noted for their perfection in durability, fit and finish. The premises occupied comprise a well-appointed store, 20 x 75 feet in dimensions, elegantly fitted with every modern improvement, and lighted by electricity, while a large and varied assortment of footwear, rubber goods, and trunks are continually on hand, at prices which will compare very favorably with those of any other house in the trade, considering the superior quality of the goods. Custom work to order is made a specialty of, and four salesmen are continually employed attending the wants of customers. Mr. Leech is a very influential citizen in Woonoslcket, having proved himself of great service to the community in general during the two terms in which he was elected member of the town council, 1885 and 1886, while he was also elected a highway commissioner in the latter year. He is of middle age, and a member of several fraternal orders, including I. O. O. F. and A. M., and the K. of H.
F. F. JENKS, Wholesale Commission Merchant in Hay, Straw, Potatoes, Onions, Apples, Salt, Scraps, Shells, Etc., Corner Front Street and Hamlet Avenue. -- For enterprise, drive and success, Mr. F. F. Jenks takes a prominent place among the reliable commission merchants of this city. He established business here Jan. 15, 1892, and his operations have been attended with remarkable success. He is a wholesale commission merchant, dealing in hay, straw, potatoes, onions, apples, salt, scraps, shells, etc. His storehouse and office cover an area of 700 square feet. Mr. Jenks is in daily receipt of consignments of hay, straw, potatoes, onions, apples, salt, scraps, shells, etc., from New York and Rhode Island, which are quickly disposed of with advantage to shippers and receivers. Liberal advances are made on consignments when desired, and his favorable relations with shippers enables him to fill the largest orders with dispatch and at the lowest market quotations. He has at all times a large stock of hay, which he sells by the bale or in car lots, and the wants of the trade in this section are ministered to with eminent satisfaction and success. Mr. Jenks is a native of Cumberland. He is a prominent member of the I. O. O. F., the American Mechanics and the Red Men, and is highly esteemed in business circles.
C. F. HIXON, Dealer in New and Second-Hand Furniture, Ranges, Stoves, Etc., Etc., Nos. 32 and 36 North Main Street. -- One of the oldest established and most popular business houses of Woonsocket is that of Mr. C. F. Hixon. Founded in 1869 by Mr. Hixon, the business of this house has secured a strong hold on public favor and confidence. A large and commodious double store, 50 x 125 feet in dimensions, is occupied, and this is neatly arranged and well ordered throughout for the handling and display of the stock, while three courteous assistants are employed to attend to the wants of customers. A large and varied assortment of everything in the line of furniture, both new and second-hand, is carried, also stoves of all kinds, both for heating and cooking purposes, ranges, etc., and a special department is devoted to tin work of every description, which is here manufactured to order at short notice. New goods of all kinds are exchanged for old, and a specialty is made of selling second-hand furniture on commission, while the same is also here stored at the most reasonable rates. Mr. Hixon, who is a practical and go-ahead business man of long experience, as well as an able auctioneer, will always be found strictly honorable and reliable in all his transactions, who spares no pains to render the fullest satisfaction to every patron, while he keeps two wagons constantly busy calling for and delivering goods. This is the largest and best establishment of the kind in town, and the prices prevailing are so low as to defy successful competition. Born in Woonsocket, Mr. Hixon is prominently identified with the interests of this town, in which he has always resided.
HENRY T. WALES, Light and Heavy Teaming, No. 42 South Main Street. One of the largest and oldest-established light and heavy teaming businesses in Woonsocket is that conducted by Mr. Henry T. Wales. The enterprise was initiated by one William Elliot, in 1859 and in 1885, the present proprietor purchased it. At that time, he had but six horses, and conducted it in only a small way; but by energy, enterprise and honorable dealings, the business has since been steadily and continuously developing in both volume and scope, until it in now found necessary to maintain twenty-eight teams of various kinds, and to regularly employ thirty careful and skilled assistants. All kinds of light and heavy teaming are undertaken promptly and with every care for the merchandise, etc., handled, families are removed and parties accommodated, while the moving of pianos and heavy hauling, trucking, and teaming, including the transfer of safes, machinery, iron, etc., constitute the specialty of the business. Ample stabling is provided in a two-story building, 50 x 110 feet in size, constructed with every regard for efficient light, heat, drainage, ventilation and cleansing. Mr. Henry T. Wales was born in Woonsocket, in 1842, and is a member of Smith Post No. 9, of the Grand Army of the Republic. He served in the late war from 1861 to 1864, in the Second Rhode Island Volunteer Infantry, Company 7, for one year as second assistant engineer, for a like period as first assistant, and for three years as chief engineer. Moreover, Mr. Wales, who is one of our best known figures in business circles, has served fourteen years in the Woonsocket Fire Department, and he is prominent among the Odd Fellows, being a member of Eureka Lodge, No. 28, as also of the Grand Lodge of Rhode Island.
WOONSOCKET ONE PRICE CLOTHING CO., Levi Provensal, Proprietor, No. 137 Main Street. -- This flourishing business was established here by Mr. Provensal in 1888, and has since been conducted by him with uniform success and prosperity. The commodious store, 20 x 60 feet in dimensions, is a model of tasteful and convenient appointment, and with its ornamental fixtures and well-displayed stock, at all times presents a most attractive appearance. In the large and complete assortment will be found everything that is new, seasonable and desirable in the line of ready-made clothing, in all sizes, styles and grades for men and boys, and all of these goods are most perfectly made, being cut according to the latest decrees of fashion and finish in the most superior manner. A fine stock of gentlemen's furnishing goods is also carried, embracing all the latest novelties of the day in handsome neckwear, gloves, hosiery, suspenders, under-garments, shirts, etc., while a specialty is made of the newest styles in hats and caps of all kinds, and in each department of the store, the goods have been most carefully selected from the best manufacturers in the country, while they are offered for sale at such low prices as defy competition. Three courteous assistants are employed and polite and prompt service is accorded to all. Mr. Provensal is a native of Canada, but twenty-six years ago he came to this country, and for the past decade he has resided in this town.
AUBUCHON BROS., Fine Groceries, No. 183 South Main Street. -- Of the firms handling a general line of fine groceries, teas, coffees and spices in Woonsocket, that of Messrs. Aubuchon Bros., whose store is situated at No. 183 South Main Street, is one of the leading in the line. Both J. C. L. and A. P. Aubuchon are natives of Canada, whence they came to the United States some twelve years ago, when they established the flourishing concern which forms the subject of this review. Mr. J. C. L. Aubuchon is also proprietor of a prosperous and well-patronized dry goods house located at No. 4 Market Square. The premises occupied comprise a commodious and elegantly appointed store, 22 x 60 feet in dimensions, centrally located, and stocked at all times with a full line of fine and staple groceries of the very finest quality, and kindred articles, such as teas, coffees, spices, sugar, flour, butter, eggs, cheese, etc., all of the very best quality and lowest possible prices consistent with the cost. A stoaff of competent and obliging salesmen and two wagons contribute satisfactorily to the general operations of the house, which has a large and influential local trade. The copartners are young men and members of the society known as L'Institute Canadien.
CHARLES E. COOK, Plain and Fancy Job Printing, No. 84 Main Street. -- One of the most reliable printing establishments in Woonsocket is that conducted by Mr. Charles E. Cook, who is a native of this town, and a practical printer himself. The premises occupied comprise a floor, 30 x 40 feet in dimensions, fully equipped with electric-power machinery, cylinder and jobbing presses and everything pertaining to the printing industry, including a full and complete stock of new type in all the latest styles and designs. A staff of skilled compositors is constantly employed, fulfilling orders which come in daily in large numbers, from leading merchants and business men in the city and surrounding vicinity. All kinds of printing is done on short notice, quick work being a specialty of this house. Every facility is possessed for turning out all printing orders, and job printing of every description is executed with promptitude and economy, while the establishment is noted for honorable dealing. Mr. Cook is a young man of considerable influence in Woonsocket and a member of several fraternal societies.
TURNER & WELLES, Hack, Boarding, Feed, Livery and Sales Stable, Rear of Central Block, No. 160 Main Street. -- The oldest-established hack, livery and sales stable in Woonsocket is that located in the rear of Central Block, owned and conducted by Messrs. Turner & Welles, who lay just claim to controlling the largest business of the kind here. The stable was founded many years ago at the old stand, and in 1881 it was bought out by the present active proprietor, Mr. Hervey S. Turner, his partner, Mr. George M. Welles - one of our best-known citizens - being treasurer of the City Lumber Company, director of the First National Bank, trustee of the People's Savings Bank and closely identified with other mercantile enterprises here. Hacks, carriages and vehicles of various other kinds are to let for all occasions, being of handsome appearance, well trapped and equipped, and accompanied by competent coachmen attired in neat and stylish livery. Horses are bought, sold and exchanged on commission, and are boarded by the day, week or under contract, particular care and attention being devoted to the feed, grooming, etc., of transient horses. Moreover, a blacksmith-shop is maintained in connection, 20 x 40 feet in size, fully equipped with appliances, tools and accessories for horsehoeing and a general line of light and heavy carriage repairing; in addition to which there is also a harness-shop, containing a large and carefully selected stock of new and second-hand harnesses, saddles, bridles, whips, blankets, rugs, mats, brushes, and every requisite for the stable, coach-house and harness-room. The premises utilized comprise a carriage-house of three floors, each 40 x 65 feet in area, having a capacity for one hundred carriages and wagons; the stable is contained in a two-story building, 40 x 100 feet in size, with stalls, loose boxes, etc., affording accommodation for sixty horses and embracing all the latest sanitary improvements, a full equipment of ecurial requisistes being at hand. The firm have twenty-five fleet and quiet horses of their own, for livery and other purposes, and the business furnishes regular employment for twelve competent assistants. Mr. Hervey S. Turner, who is a gentleman of middle age, was born in Worcester, Mass., and has resided in Woonsocket since 1878; while Mr. George M. Welles - also of middle age - is a native of Plymouth, Conn.
CHOQUETTE BROTHERS, Meats and Groceries, No. 43 North Main Street. -- This firm, although of recent origin, having been inaugurated within the past year, has already developed a large and permanent patronage. The store, 20 x 40 feet in dimensions, is neatly and appropriately fitted up with special reference to the business, which involves the handling of large quantities of meats and groceries, and it may be asserted safely that in quantity, freshness and variety, the stock carried here has no superior. In the general complete assortment will be found prime beef, veal, lamb, mutton, pork, salted, smoked and corned meats of all kinds, hams, tongues, etc., also vegetables and fruits of every variety in their respective seasons, and everything in the line of staple and fancy groceries, including the choicest teas, coffees, sugars, spices, canned goods of all kinds, table delicacies, sauces, family flour, cereals, prime butter, eggs, cheese, lard, household specialties, etc., etc. Three courteous assistants and a wagon are required in permanent service for the prompt fulfillment of orders. Both members of this firm were born in Canada, but for the past fifteen years have resided in Woonsocket and are popular members of several French societies.
EMILE O. PARADIS, Picture Frame Manufacturer, No. 323 Main Street. -- Mr. Emile O. Paradis, manufacturer of picture frames, enjoys an enviable reputation in his line throughout the trade in the New England States. Mr. Paradis embarked in this business for himself in 1886, and, being thoroughly experienced and conversant with every branch of this industry, has since developed a large and substantial wholesale and retail trade, extending throughout this entire section of the country. The attractive and convenient store is stocked with a large and comprehensive assortment of works of art of all kinds, picture frames, moldings, etc., all in the greatest variety, from which the most fastidious patron can made selections. From six to eight skilled and proficient workmen are given constant employment, and the main feature of the business is the manufacturing of picture frames of every kind, including white and gold, silver, gilt, hardwood, etc., all in the latest and most fashionable designs, styles and patterns, suitable for all classes of pictures, and all orders for the same are promptly and satisfactorily executed. Four traveling salesmen are kept busy on the board. Born in Canada, Mr. Paradis has resided in this town since 1888, and is a popular member of several French societies.
PARIS CLOTHING HOUSE, Mr. Henry Martin, Proprietor, No. 164 Main Street. -- The Paris Clothing House conducted under the proprietorship of Mr. Henry Martin, at No. 164 Main Street, was established in 1889. The store is one of the attractions of this busy thoroughfare and contains at all times one of the best and most complete assortment of men's, youths' and boys' clothing to be found in Woonsocket. The stock embraces every grade from the cheapest to the most expensive, and in correctness of style, variety of pattern, excellence of material and artistic finish, the productions represent the very best that the market affords. Mr. Martin carries no trashy goods, preferring to serve his customers with garments that are reliable and such as will bear the most searching examination. The prices, however, will be found fully as low as those asked for inferior clothing elsewhere. A specialty is made of fitting short, fat men, and the patronage is large, first-class and influential from city and country. Mr. Martin is a native of Canada and a resident of Woonsocket for a number of years.
CHARLES O. ARNOLD, Hardware, Cutlery, Ranges, Furnaces, Jobbing, Etc, No. 7 South Main Street. -- A deservedly popular and prosperous house which has always maintained an enviable reputation for handling only first-class goods is that of Mr. Charles O. Arnold. The business was established in 1844, by A. S. Arnold, who died December 10, 1891, and his son, Mr. C. O. Arnold, succeeded to the control, January 1, 1892. The premises occupied comprise two floors, 40 x 41 feet in dimensions, also a store, 25 x 48 feet in area, which is admirably arranged and supplied with every facility for transacting business. The stock carried is full and complete and embraces hardware of every description, such as merchants' wrought iron and cast steel, blacksmiths', wheelwrights' and contractors' supplies, builders' hardware of every description, in all the very latest and improved styles, also seeds and farmers' implements of all kinds. Mr. Arnold carries only excellent and reliable goods, conducts his business on the soundest principles of integrity, and spares no pains to meet the wants of his patrons. Mr. Charles O. Arnold is a native of Woonsocket, a member of several fraternal orders and of the Agricultural and Horticultural Societies of Rhode Island.
F. A. JACKSON, Pharmacist, No. 90 Main Street. -- This business was first established in 1834 by Dr. Stockbridge, and, after several changes, Mesrs. Jackson & Childs succeeded in 1876. Since the retirement of Mr. Childs, in 1879, Mr. Jackson has very successfully conducted the business alone. The store is 20 x 40 feet in dimensions, attractive in situation, surroundings and interior appointments, and provided with all available facilities whereby business may be promptly and properly transacted. The stock is always full and complete, and embraces drugs, chemicals, pharmaceutical preparations, fancy and toilet articles, cigars and tobaccos, also confectionery and druggists' sundries in great variety. A specialty is made of the careful compounding and dispensing of physicians' prescriptions. Mr. Jackson is a native of Chelsea, Mass., an ex-president of the Rhode Island Pharmaceutical Association and a member of the same. He is a member of the F. and A. M., and the I. O. O. F., the A. O. U. W. and other societies, and is a gentleman of high standing in all the walks of life.
SHELLEY AUSTIN, Choice Family Groceries, No. 7 Monument Square. -- Mr. Austin, who is a native of England, has resided in this country for the past forty years, and in 1887 embarked in his present enterprise in this community, which from the first has met with such signal success and prosperity. The store and basement, each 20 x 65 feet in dimensions, are perfect in convenience of arrangement for the handling and sale of the stock, while the exigencies of the business are such as to require the services of from three to four competent assistants, and two teams in permanent attendance. The assortment of goods carried embraces everything in the line of choice staple and fancy groceries, including pure and fresh teas and coffees, spices, sugars, condiments, canned goods in infinite variety, sauces, table delicacies, cereals, farinaceous goods, dried fruits, crackers, cheese, eggs, household specialties, etc., specialties being made of fine creamery butter, flour and Horsford's baking powder. All of the supplies handled represent the best class obtainable in the market, and Mr. Austin is prepared to offer substantial inducements in regard to both reliablility and superiority, quality of stock and economy of prices. All orders are promptly filled and delivered, the telephone call being No. 5127-2. Mr. Austin is a member of the F. and A. M., I. O. O. F. and other fraternal orders of this character.
S. TREITEL, Merchant Tailor, also Dealer in Ready-made Clothing, Hats, Caps, and Gents' Furnishing Goods, Nos. 2 and 2 1/2 Main Street. -- This enterprise was inaugurated by the present proprietor in 1873. From the outset, the patronage accorded the house has been generous and flattering. The premises occupied comprise a corner store 60 feet deep, handsomely fitted up, in which is stored and displayed a complete and comprehensive stock of ready-made clothing, embracing all the desireable shades and grades and including the latest styles and patterns in the market. Mr. Treitel procures his supplies from the best sources and guarantees the quality and character of every article leaving his establishment. As a merchant tailor he enjoys a high reputation. He employs a full force of skilled cutters and tailors, and the garments produced are unsurpassed in style, fit, finish and workmanship. This department is under careful supervision, and the work is closely scrutinized through the various stages of completion, and the highest standard of excellence is invariably maintained. A full stock of foreign and domestic cloths and cassimeres is carried, comprising the most fashionable designs and patterns and the freshest novelties, the assortment being so complete as to meet every demand of customers. Mr. Solomon Treitel is a native of Germany, but has been a resident of the United States for twenty-six years. He is a member of the F. and A. M., the I. O. O. F., and other societies.
JOSEPH L. HULBERT, Machinist, Etc., No. 73 Bernon Street. -- A prominent machinist and maker of textile machinery in Woonsocket is Mr. Joseph J. Hulbert, who enjoys a high reputation for reliability and for turning out the finest work in each branch of the trade. The business was established in August, 1882, by Mr. Joseph J. Hulbert, who possesses a long and varied practical experience ranging over a period of twenty-four years, and devotes his close personal care and attention to the prompt and accurate fulfillment of each order with which he is entrusted. Steam-engines of any pattern, from two to forty horse-power, are built to order, as also Greenhalgh patent stop motion for woolen and worsted yarn spoolers; woolen and worsted yarn spoolers are manufactured with or without Hulbert's new device for lifting weights off the spool; and all kinds of rubber tools are made to order, such as rollers, stitchers and boot-heel molds complete; while a special branch of the business consists of machinery repairs and general machine jobbing of every description. The premises utilized comprise a building, 32 x 68 feet in size, fully equipped with all improved iron, steel and general metal-working machines and appliances, such as planers, drills, lathes, etc., a 4 1/2-horse power electric motor being the actuating force used, and regular employment is furnished eight skilled mechanics. Mr. Joseph J. Hulbert was born in Vermont, coming to Woonsocket twelve years ago, and is a prominent member of the F. and A. M., the Order of Red Men, the Independent Order of Odd Fellows and other of our leading societies.
THE JENCKES' TEAMING COMPANY, All Kinds of Light and Heavy Jobbing, Office, Providence and Worcester Railroad Depot, Telephone 5210-2. -- Many years ago Mr. Anson C. Wheelock saw the great opportunity that was offered for a business specially devoted to this line of work, and acting on this foresight he laid the foundation of the great business now carried on by the Jenckes' Teaming Company. Mr. Wheelock was succeeded by Mr. Andrew N. Jenckes, who organized the present company in 1883. Mr. Andrew N. Jenckes died in 1884, then his brother Mr. Horace Jenckes succeeded to the control of the company and carried on the business until his death in October, 1889, when he was succeeded by his son, Mr. Nelson Jenckes, who now acts as agent for the company. The business employs from twenty to twenty-five men and over twenty wagons, which include both light and heavy trucks adapted to moving of every description. The stables are 40 x 110 feet in dimensions, and afford accommodations for from twenty-five to thirty fine horses. They are very handsomely appointed and neatly kept. A specialty is made of moving pianos and valuable goods of all kinds which require the greatest care and skill in handling. The company does a large business such as moving safes, heavy machinery, boilers, merchandise, etc., and also does a general express and forwarding business to all parts of the United States. Careful attention is given to moving of every description. The office of the company is conveniently located in the Providence and Worcester Railroad Depot, and has telephone connections and every facility for the prompt execution of orders. Mr. Nelson Jenckes, who is now at the head of this important business, is a native and prominent citizen of Woonsocket.
J. B. PROCTOR, Blacksmith and Wheelwright, No. 73 River Street. -- The wheelwright shops of J. B. Proctor, located at No. 73 River Street, are popularly regarded hereabouts as one of the most reliable of the kind in Woonsocket. The business was established fifteen years ago by Mr. Proctor, who is a thoroughly practical man in this line, and, himself, works at the fire every day, taking active part in the prompt and accurate fulfillment of each order with which he is entrusted. Express wagons are built to order to any pattern or style, upon the most approved principles of construction, from carefully selected materials; a general line of blacksmith and wheelwright work is undertaken, including forging, light and heavy carriage and wagon work, etc., while a leading specialty is made of horseshoeing, resetting light tires, painting and varnishing fine carriages. Moreover, a large number of new and second-hand wagons, suitable for various purposes, are on hand for sale. The premises utilized comprise two spacious two-story buildings, each 50 x 100 feet in size, used as carriage repository and paintshop, well stocked with the necessary supplies. The blacksmith and wheelwright shop, 50 x 70 feet in area, is fully equipped with forges, fires, tools and appliances for turning out the best work at short notice; regular employment being furnished for eighteen skilled workmen. The business was initiated by the present proprietor in conjunction with his brother, Mr. J. G. Proctor, but the latter retired in 1886. Mr. J. B. Proctor - now of middle age - was born in Massachusetts, and came to Woonsocket when a child, and is a member of several fraternal orders.
R. T. L'ESPERANCE, Plumber, Steam and Gas Fitter, also Tin, Sheet-Iron, Copper and Brass Worker, Pumps, Bath Tubs, Water-Closets, Lead and Iron Pipe Fittings, No. 54 1/2 Main Street. -- A well-known and reliable plumber, steam and gas fitter in Woonsocket, is Mr. R. T. L'Esperance. All kinds of plumbing, gas and steam fitting are undertaken, and excuted in a thoroughly workmanlike and satisfactory manner, with promptness and at reasonable prices, including a general line of jobbing and repairing, drainage and ventilation, as well as contracts for new work, such as the supply and fitting in thorough working order, of water-closets, urinals, bath tubs, washbowls, sinks, tanks, gas brackets, chandeliers, radiators, etc. In addition, every description of tin, zinc, sheet-metal, copper and brass work is undertaken, and estimates for any class of job are cheerfully furnished upon application. The business was established in 1883, by the present proprietor, who is a thoroughly practical plumber and sheet-metal worker. A large trade is also carried on as a dealer in pumps, bath tubs, water-closets, lead and iron pipe, fittings, gasfitters' and plumbers' supplies, and all the latest improved sanitary appliances, and of the whole a heavy and carefully chosen stock is always carried. The store is well fitted and fully equipped, and eight skilled artisans are regularly employed. Mr. L'Esperance is a young man, and although born in Canada, he has lived in the United States for twenty-nine years, coming to Woonsocket fifteen years ago, and is a member of several French societies. During May of this year, Mr. L'Esperance opened a branch store, at No. 29 Spring Street, Worcester, Mass.
MULLEN & DEMPSEY, House Furnishing Goods, Parlor Suits, Chamber Sets, Stoves, Ranges, No. 251 Main Street. -- The establishment of Messrs. Mullen & Dempsey was founded in 1884 and has become widely known as preeminent in its line of enterprise in this section of the State. The firm are extensive dealers in parlor suits, chamber sets, stoves, ranges, crockery, glass, wooden and tinware, and carry on the business on both the cash and instalment plan. The building occupied contains three stories, 30 x 100 feet in dimensions, affording ample accommodation for the convenient display and inspection of the immense stock of goods constantly carried. The firm have acquired an intimate knowledge of all the requirements of the trade in every branch of the business. The stock of stoves and ranges comprises all the most valuable improvements made for cooking and heating, while in furniture the assortments include the finest and most desirable parlor, chamber and dining-room suits, hall, library, office and kitchen furniture. The firm are also prepared to do all kinds of sheet-iron work at short notice, employing from four to six skilled workmen. The trade of the house is large in the city and its vicinity. The members of the firm are Messrs. J. Mullen and D. Dempsey, the former a native of Waterford, Mass., and the latter of Providence, R. I. Both gentlemen are highly esteemed in the business and social circles of the city.
G. W. EATON & SON, Meats, Vegetables, Produce, Fruit, Etc., No. 16 North Main Street. -- As far back as 1870, the business of this house was founded by Mr. Geo. W. Eaton, in New Hampshire, but eight years later he removed to this city, and took up his stand at his present desirable location, while in 1881 he admitted his son into the firm, under the above style. The store, 25 x 40 feet in dimensions, is neatly and orderly appointed throughout, and provided with all the necessary conveniences, including excellent refrigerating facilities, for the handling and preservation of the stock, while from three to five competent assistants and two teams are kept busy in supplying the demands of the trade. The assortment includes the primest fresh meats of all kinds, such as lamb, beef, pork, mutton, etc., also smoked and salted meats, the different varieties of fruits and vegetables in their respective seasons, the choicest and best creamery butter, cheese, fresh eggs, and farm and dairy produce, generally. In every instance these goods include the best supplies obtainable in the market, and fresh invoices are received daily. All orders receive immediate attention, telephone call being No. 5127-4, and a large, permanent and liberal trade is catered to throughout this community. Both members of the firm are natives of New Hampshire, and popular members of several social orders.
GEO. C. KNIGHT, Machinist, Manufacturer of Worsted and Woolen Yarn Spoolers, and Clocks for Elliott Cloth Folders, No. 28 Allen Street. -- One of the leading machinists in Woonsocket is Mr. Geo. C. Knight. Mr. Knight undertakes all kinds of light machine work to order; such as fitting, turning, planing, the finishing of castings, general jobbing and repairing and the making of small machine parts, etc.; while he makes a specialty of all descriptions of mill work and jobbing and repairing on textile machinery; besides which he is a manufacturer of worsted and woolen yarn spoolers, and clocks for Elliott cloth folders. Mr. Knight is a practical machinist of long and varied experience, and, himself, takes active part in the prompt and accurate fulfillment of all orders undertaken. The business was established many years ago by Mr. O. S. Fuller, who died fourteen years back, and subsequently the plant was purchased by Messrs. H. Jeffrey & Co., from whom Mr. Knight rents the shop. This latter is on the ground floor, 50 x 50 feet in size, and contains an elaborate equipment of iron-working machines and all necessary appliances, tools and accessories pertaining to the industry, an 80-horse power steam-engine being the motive force used, and an adequate staff of skilled machinists is regularly employed. Mr. Knight is a native of Woonsocket.
DEAN & GRAVEL, New York Butter Store, Dealers in Choice Groceries, Flour, Teas, Coffees, Etc., No. 263 Main Street. -- A reliable and first-class grocery house of Woonsocket is that known as the New York Butter Store. Founded in 1891 by the present proprietors, the business at once bounded into popular favor and success. The store, 25 x 60 feet in dimensions, is neatly and attractively appointed throughout, and perfect in convenience of arrangement for the successful prosecution of the business, while the demands of the trade are such as to require the services of from four to six efficient assistants and two delivery teams. It is stocked to repletion with a superior line of the choicest staple and fancy groceries, including the finest and purest teas, coffees, sugars, spices, condiments, table delicacies, family flour, cereals, household specialties, the primest butter, cheese, eggs and lard, canned goods in great variety, etc., in short, everything to be found in a first-class family supply store of this character. All orders, of any magnitude, are promptly filled and satisfactorily delivered at short notice, and the trade supplied is of both a wholesale and retail character. Mr. Dean was born in Providence, while Mr. Gravel is a native of Blackstone, this State, and both are members of the highest standing in several fraternal orders.
M. F. McKENNA, Practical Embalmer, Funeral Director and Undertaker, Hacks and Carriages Furnished, No. 140 Arnold Street. -- Mr. M. F. McKenna is recognized as a thoroughly trustworthy and leading funeral director and undertaker. Born in Cranston, R. I., Mr. McKenna has resided in Woonsocket for the past fourteen years, and in 1889 he embarked in his present enterprise. The warerooms are a model of tasteful and convenient appointment, being equipped in the most approved style for the required purposes, and the services of three competent assistants are required in permanent employment. A large and complete stock of coffins, caskets, robes, shrouds and funeral furnishings of all kinds is found here, the goods being so varied in character as to be suitable for the plainest or the most imposing of ceremonies. An expert embalmer, Mr. McKenna takes full charge of funerals, supplying everthing that is necessary, including hearse and carriages, and thus relieves friends and relatives entirely of all the anxiety naturally incident to such sad occasions. He brings to bear upon this business ten years of practical experience, and the considerate and efficient manner in which he performs all his duties, especially commends him to a large and discriminating circle of patrons. His charges are at all times reasonable.
PEVEY & ANDREWS, Dentists, No. 158 Main Street, opposite Post-Office.
-- This firm is well and widely known and confers a dignity upon the dental
profession, that is felt and appreciated by the entire community.
The business was originally established by Dr. A. A. Pevey. In 1880
the firm of Pevey & Baker was organized, who were succeeded by Pevey
& Andrews, in 1884. Dr. Pevey died in 1889, after a long, honorable
and useful career, and Dr. Andrews has since associated H. N. Berthiaume,
D. D. S., with himself in the profession, without change in the firm-name.
The operating and extracting rooms are perfectly equipped with every comfort
and convenience for the accommodation of patients and for prompt and successful
work. There is no branch of the dental profession of which this firm
are not perfect masters. Their practice is large and influential, and to
seek their service once is to be their patron always. Dr. Andrews
is a native of Vermont, an expert and practical dentist, and a young man
of large experience, wide acquaintance and high repute. Dr. Berthiaume
is a Rhode Island man by birth, a graduate of New York College of Dentistry,
and a talented member of the profession.