This section contains articles of genealogical and historic
interest on Rhode Island in general, from old Rhode Island books and newspapers.
If you would like to contribute please e-mail me with
The Seventh Regiment of RI Volunteers in the Civil War, 1862 - 1865
by William P. Hopkins, Snow & Farmham Printers, Providence, RI, 1903
JAMES A. NICHOLAS. James A. Nicholas was employed, prior to his enlistment, by the Allendale Company in North Providence as overseer of spinning, spooling, and warping. His only and younger brother was a member of the Second Rhode Island, and, therefore, he was more strongly attracted to the field. The superintendent expressed his willingness to part with him but on that condition only, so he repaired to the Olneyville recruiting office and found they were paying but $225 bounty. He, accordingly, moved on to Newport, where they were paying $500 bounty and enlisted there, receiving that amount which he at once deposited in the savings bank in that building. In Mississippi he was sent to the hospital ill with malaria. When the regiment left he was on the hospital boat, and there, for the first time, acted as nurse. On reaching Covington, Ky., he was placed on duty as nurse at the regimental hospital, the number of sick being very large. His tour of duty was four hours on and four hours off. He continued thus until after the explosion of the Mine, when he was examined for discharge, being unfit for field duty. It was determined he could do one man's duty as nurse, and, therefore, was ordered to report at the Second Division Hospital where he served until after Lee's surrender. He was then sent back to his regiment for his muster out.
PATRICK NOLAN. Patrick Nolan, son of James and Mary Nolan, was born in County Wicklow, Ireland, in 1825. He came to the United States in 1855, and settled in Pawtucket, where he has resided ever since except when he was absent in the army. He enlisted in the Seventh, Aug. 12, 1862, and was discharged June 9, 1865. Three of his bothers were in the service during the War of the Rebellion, one in the navy, one in the cavalry, and one in the artillery.
At the time of his enlistment he was employed at Jacob Dunnell's Print Works, in Pawucket, and, on his return from the service, he resumed his occupation at the same place. For the last fifteen years he has been employed as flagman for the New York, New Haven and Hartford Railroad Company, in Pawtucket.
He married in 1852, Kate Redmand, by whom he has had seven children.
JOHN S. NOTTAGE. Sergeant John Sterry Nottage was born in Norwich, Conn., July 9, 1826. He had two brothers and one or more sisters. His father was a tin and sheet iron worker and dealer in stoves. When two years of age or thereabouts, the family moved to Providence. Soon he was sent to a private school presided over by a Mrs. Hodges, and her daughter, Julia. Later he attended the public school on Summer Street, Mr. Weston teacher. When entering upon manhood he learned the carpenter's trade, but at length ventured on a three years' whaling voyage. While thus absent his mother died, which was ever a source of grief. He was wounded in the head at Spottsylvania May 13, 1864, and was sent to Portsmouth Grove Hospital, where he was retained as at attendant upon his invalid comrades until his discharge. His wife was an invalid for many years, and he was caring for her when his younger brother, Charles H. Nottage, who had been commissary sergeant of the Fourth Rhode Island, died about 1896. He had obtained little rest day or night for thirteen weeks, and his constitution became overtaxed. In May of that year he had two paralytic shocks that rendered him unconscious, and deprived him of the power of speech. It was, indeed, barely possible to swallow food. At last the third and fatal shock supervened.
ISAAC NYE. Corporal Isaac Nye, son of Simon and Martha Austin Nye, was born in Exeter, June 18, 1837. He had one brother, Daniel, and three sisters, Martha, Clarissa L., and Celia A. Mrs. Wood, of Anthony, is the only survivor of the family. He was a carpenter by occupation, and, at the time of his enlistment, was residing with his mother at that village. At Spottsylvania, May 18, 1864, a bullet struck him in the hip, inflicting a wound from which he died at Alexandria on the 30th. His body was brought directly home, and, after appropriate services at Knotty Oak Church, was buried in that cemetery.
MANUEL OPEN. Corporal Manuel Open was born in Germany in 1832. He married Susan Abby Carpenter, of Peacedale, Nov. 7, 1858. Two sons were born unto them. The father was a weaver. He was killed at Spottsylvania, May 18, 1864. He was serving on the color guard at the time as he was unusually tall. His widow resides in Bristol.
CHARLES F. PAGE. Adjutant Charles Franklin Page, son of William and Ann McFarland Page, was born in Boston, Mass., Aug. 16, 1839. He was originally commissioned first lieutenant Company C, Sept. 4, 1862, but two days later was made adjutant. At Fredericksburg, December 13th, he was severely wounded in the hand, losing one eye and being totally incapacitated for active service. Accordingly, Feb. 23, 1863, his resignation was accepted. at one time he was a member of the firm of Page & Sturgess. He had charge of the Berkeley Mills in this State, but subsequently for a quarter of a century he was in the mploy of the Goddard Brothers. He was also a director of the Blackstone Canal National Bank. In 1888 he was obliged to give up all work and business and spend his winters in the South, but it availed little though the entire year preceding his demise he spent in the enjoyment of its salubrious climate. He died at Aiken, S.C., Oct. 6, 1891, of consumption. His remains were brought to Providence, and, after services at the Westminster Congregational (Unitarian Church, on Mathewson Street, were interred at Swan Point Cemetery.
Mr. Page married April 14, 1869, Maria Louise, daughter of Adnah and Eliza H. Sackett, who died July 21, 1870. Again, in 1876, he married Hannah J. Blanvelt, of New York City, who survived him with one son, William B. Page.
HARLAN A. PAGE. Harlan Alonzo Page, son of William and Mary Steere Page, was born at 'Page Hill', Glocester, June 14, 1842. He attended the public schools and worked on his mother's farm until he enlisted. Soon after his return he went to work for Angell & Briggs at carpentering on the Olneyville mill where he busied six months. Then he spent three months in the cloth room of the Delaine Mill. He now set up for himself as a carpenter and contractor, having picked up the profession while busied with his first employers. He purchased land in that vicinity, built houses and then sold house and lot until the number nearly reached an even hundred. He then opened a dry goods store in Olneyville, corner of High (now Westminster) and Stoke Streets, but afterward moved to Manton Avenue and then to Plainfield Street, where a grocery was combined with his other business. At present he is engaged solely in the real estate business and brokerage, and in the care of the estate of the late George D. Wilcox, M.D. He united with the Free Baptist Church of Olneyville, April 1, 1866, was one of the committee that constructed its present house of worship, and, for years, has been one of its trustees. He is also a member of Manufacturers Lodge, No. 15, Independent Order of Odd Fellows, and of Slocum Post, No. 10, Grand Army of the Republic. He married Emma Remington Randall, daughter of George Randall, May 26, 1867. She died May 1, 1868, leaving a son William Westcott, born April 16th. He next married, Oct. 5, 1869, Sarah R. Mathewson, who died Sept. 6, 1873, leaving a daughter, Emma Randall, who followed her mother Dec. 27, 1890, at the age of nineteen. For his third wife he married Malvina Shaw Mathewson. She died March 6, 1882, leaving a son, Harlan Alonzo, Jr., born July 29, 1876, and a daughter, Edith May, born May 31, 1881. When he married the fourth time he chose for a companion, Sarah Ann Garnett, by whom he has had six children: Walter Garnett, born Aug. 9, 1884, died Nov. 13, 1888; Mattie Maybel, born Nov. 22, 1885; Alice Evangeline, born May 31, 1888; Sadie Emma, born Aug. 15, 1891, died Feb. 16, 1892; Edward Garnett Harrison, born June 23, 1893, and Gladys Eveline, born July 22, 1895.
THOMAS D. PEARCE. Thomas Dyer Pearce died at his home near Tourgee's Mill, Quidnesset Neck, R.I., Feb. 22, 1895. He left a widow, daughter of the late Henry R. Reynolds, of Wickford. He was a member of Charles C. Baker Post, No. 16, Grand Army of the Republic, of Wickford. He was a carpenter by trade.
p. 425 - 430:
GEORGE B. PECK. Lieutenant George Bacheler Peck, eldest child of George Bacheler and Ann Power Smith Peck, was born in Providence, Aug. 12, 1843. His early education was received in the public schools of that city. He graduated from Brown University in 1864 with the degree of A.B., but in January of that same year he received an additional diploma from the same institution upon the completion of its course in civil engineering which he pursued in addition to his regular studies. This course was identical with that then pursued in that department at West Point and was attended by a class of seven, the largest on record at that time. In 1867 he also received from the University the degree of A.M. On Dec. 13, 1864, he was mustered conditionally upon the raising of a company as second lieutenant of Company G, Second Regiment Rhode Island Volunteers. He was on recruiting service until Jan. 1, 1865; on waiting orders until January 13th; on duty at the United States Draft Rendezvous, popularly known as the Conscript Camp, at Grapevine Point, Fairhaven (now a part of New Haven), Conn., until March 13th, when he sailed with his company to City Point, Va. He participated in the siege of Petersburg and the pursuit of Lee until the battle of Sailor's Creek, 5.30 P.M., April 6th, where he received a bullet through his left side, and the clothing upon his right side, three additional bullet holes, fortunately unaccompanied with serious bodily harm. When able to walk a little distance he rejoined his regiment, but soon fell a victim to the climate, and, accordingly resigned and was honorably discharged July 5, 1865. That fall he entered the office of Peck & Salsbury, coal and wood dealers, where he remained four years, but finding business distasteful, he took a winter and a summer course at the Hahnemann College, of Philadelphia, in 1869 and followed it with a parallel course in the Medical Department of Yale University, 1870-71, receiving his diploma from President Woolsey in June of the latter year, upon the occasion of his retiring from the charge of that vererable seat of learning. The next year he spent in the Sheffield Scientific School, devoting his attention more particularly to assaying, determinative mineralogy, and practical chemistry, but taking the courses in stock breeding as well as in physical and in military geography as a recreation. He was assistant chemist at the Naval Torpedo Station at Newport in 1872-4, and temporarily in charge of the chemical department of the University of Vermont in the fall of the latter year. On June 1, 1875, he commenced the practice of medicine in Providence and has prosecuted it unremittingly ever since. For upwards of fifteen years his office was in the house where his mother was born and exactly where his grandfather, John Knowles Smith, kept an old-fashioned grocery and gunsmithery during his entire life; but increasing and overwhelming cares necessitated the removal of his office to his home where himself and father were both born, the house having been built by his grandfather, Benjamin Peck, a century ago.
Dr. Peck was admitted to membership in the Rhode Island Homeopathic Society in April, 1875; was secretary from August, 1875, to January, 1883; vice-president in 1883, 4, president, 1885, 6; censor, 1887, 8, 9; treasurer, 1890, 1, 2; a term of official service covering seventeen and a half years. He became a member of the Amerian Institute of Homeopathy in 1879; was acting chairman of the section of obstetrics in 1880; its chailrman in 1881, 1886, 1888, and 1892; its secreatary in 1887, 1889, and 1890. In 1895 he was elected censor for a term of five years and re-elected in 1900. In 1895 he was also appointed chairman of the Committee on Foreign Correspondence, and reappointed in 1896. In 1902 he was appointed chairman of the Bureau of International Homeopathy. He was elected an honorary member of the Homeopathic Medical Society of the State of New York in 1882, and of the Missouri Institute of Homeopathy in 1893. He was chosen vice-president of the Western Massachusetts Homeopathic Medical Society in 1886 and 1887. Furthermore, Dr. Peck is one of the thirteen founders of Prescott Post, No. 1, Grand Army of the Republic, of which he was surgeon in 1881, 2, 3, and from 1890 to date. In 1894, 5, 6, 7, he was medical director of the department. He is a Companion of the Massachusetts Commandery of the Military Order of the Loyal Legion of the United States, was president of the Rhode Island Soldiers and Sailors Historical Society in 1892, 3, 4, 5 and vice-president for three years at an earlier period, and has been adjutant and ex-officio necrologist of the Marine Artillery Veteran Association since 1875. At the outbreak of the Rebellion, being under the military age, he enrolled himself in the First Ward Light Guard, an ephemeral volunteer organization. That fall, when the University Cadets were organized, he identified himself with them, but, as early in 1863 the Legislature decreed that every able bodied man between eighteeen and forty-five should be enrolled in some battery, battalion, or squadron, he hied (sic) himself to the state arsenal and identified himself with the Providence Marine Corps of Artillery, 'the Mother of Batteries'. During the ensuing eight years he filled for a longer or a shorter period nearly every rank, holding, the last two years, a major's commission. In June, 1863, when the rebel cruiser 'Florida' sent a boat's crew into the harbor of Portsmouth, N.H., and ran off with the revenue cutter there stationed, Governor Smith became concerned lest the Secretary of the Interior should call him to account in case of accident for not protecting his own coast with such means as he had at his disposal. Accordingly, on a certain Saturday afternoon, he ordered the Newport Artillery, with one thirty-two-pounder to Easton's Beach to defend the east passage of Narragansett Bay and the Marines with their six twelve-pounder Napoleons to 'The Bonnett', on the main land just below South, or Narragansett Ferry, where an earthwork was thrown up and garrisoned until the United States Engineers came to Dutch Island and commenced that series of fortifications that slowly have increased in size and strength until the present day. But when the news of the New York draft riots on July 4th reached Providence, Governor Smith was again disturbed and sent special orders by the Shore Line night train for one section (now termed platoon), to report immediately in that city. The horses were at once dispatched overland, and, by daylight, a scow was at the Ferry on which two peices with their caissons were speedily run and two detachments turned their faces homeward in curious anticipation. Pawtuxet had been agreed upon as the point of rendezvous, for it was felt to be by no means certain that a landing could be effected at the capital. It was 8:30 P.M. when the gun carriages rolled by the Steam Mill on Eddy Street. The rumbling of the heavy wheels caused the residents to pour from every side street. Respectable citizens extended cordial welcome, the other class looked daggers, but hesitated to commit any overt act. A halt for orders was made on the Great Bridge, but at 9 P. M. the section was sent to its armory where a guard was maintained some two weeks. At this time Peck was gunner of one of the detachments. Again in 1864 at the time of the presidential election, guard duty was required of the Marines. One detachment was on duty at the armory, another at the quartermaster-general's office, Fall River Iron Works Building, South Main Street nearly opposite Power Street. It contained three thousand stand of arms, and, of course, would have been the first point of attack in the event of riotous demonstrations. Peck, by this time, had attained the rank of sergeant. He was cautioned by his father that in case option should be left those officers as to their field of duty, he should not volunteer for that post. Being a good boy, he promptly assured his parent he would not, nor did he. He simply contented himself with allowing the other fellows to volunteer to stay at home. The experiences of that week were interesting, but fortunately for the reputation of the city and state no violence was attempted. The summer of 1862 was spent by Peck as clerk in Paymaster-General Jabez C. Knight's office on South Water Street just below College Street, possibly below Leonard. Through this circumstance he assisted at and participated in the payment to the Seventh Regiment of its state bounty of $30 per man. In 1867 the personnel of the battery had become so unsatisfactory to its friends that reorganization was determined upon. But two on the entire list of officers for the preceding year were retained, one of whom was Peck. He was promoted from second lieutenant to first sergeant, but among the line sergeants under him were Lieutenant Col. John Albert Monroe, but a short time before chief of artillery of the Ninth Army Corps, and Brevt. Brig.-Gen. John G. Hazard, chief of artillery of the Second Corps. His commanding officer was Joseph P. Balch, who as major led Burside's First Rhode Island at Bull Run, and, nine years before, took the Marines to Boston, Mass., when they were the only battery of flying artillery (as the service was then denominated) in the United States outside the regular army. They encamped upon the famous Connom and aroused such enthusiasm among the populace a similar battery was soon organized there, whose officers came to Providence the ensuing winter and practically familiarized themselves with the drill in the old (then comparatively new) arsenal on Benefit Street. From the 'Hub' the movement spread through the country.
In 1876 Dr. Peck was commissioned surgeon of the Battalion of Light Artillery, Division of Rhode Island Militia, which position he retained until its disbandment in 1879. At the opening of the Rhode Island Homeopathic Hospital in March, 1886, he was appointed its admitting physician, and continued to serve as such until its collapse, Nov. 30, 1900, declining a regular staff appointment. He also served as a member of the Board of Trustees from about the date of his appointment until the charter of that institution (diffidence preventing his placing his own name at the head of the list of corporators) and alone attended to its passage through the Legislature. He had been the first physician to visit out-patients for the Rhode Island Homeopathic Dispensary and the first Homeopathisist to be employed by the City of Providence to visit its poor. (He was also the last, sundry practitioners of that school having meantime attempted the attendant responsibilities with varying success; he relinquished what he considered to be a trust only when the pressure of other duties rendered it absolutely impossible for him properly to discharge that.) Hence it is not strange that the original staff of the hospital was elected in accordance with his recommendaiton. In 1895 His Honor William A. Sweetland, Justice of the Sixth District Court, whose jurisdiction is coextensive with the City of Providence, appointed him one of the special alienists to the court. The law requires the signatures and the sworn testimony of two practitioners of medicine as preliminaries to the commitment of any person of insanity. Mr. Justice Stephen A. Cooke, Judge Sweetland's immediate predecessor, found himself compelled by false testimony so frequently to decide against his own better judgment that he directed the Chief of Police in all cases to summon one of two or three designated physicians and secure his opinion before presenting a case. At the same time he refused to consider any application until he had heard from one or another of that number. But complaint was made that these special examiners were so few it was well-nigh impossible to secure the services of any in an emergency; so Judge Sweetland added three or four at different times, one of the first being Dr. Peck whom he had frequently listened to when on the witness stand and whose appointment removed any possible imputation of discrimination as to school. Through special orders, No. 142, from the adjutant-general's office, dated June 30, 1898, he was appointed by order of His Excellency, Elisha Dyer (who had on two separate occasions for at least two consecutive years been his immediate commanding officer), 'first lieutenant to reorganize the command Battery A, Light Artillery, Brigade Rhode Island Militia, until further orders', the unmarried men of the organization with its regular officers having been mustered into the United States service. The sudden termination of the Spanish War summarily dispelled any hopes he may have entertained of again entering upon active campaigning. The only civic office he ever held was membership of the School Committee of Providence, which continued from April, 1881, to December, 1895. He is a member of the What Cheer Masonic Lodge, of Providence, of the Washington Commmandery of Knights Templar, of Newport, and of the Rhode Island Sovereign Consistory, Thirty-second Degree, Scottish Rite. He is also a member of the First Baptist Church of Newport, of the Board of Managers of the Rhode Island Baptist State Convention since 1876, treasurer of the Narragansett Baptist Assocation since 1877, and clerk from 1877 to 1886, inclusive; also from 1892 to date. In 1889 he was chosen moderator of that association, which is composed of twenty-seven regular Baptist Churches in the south part of the State, being the only layman that ever held such a position in the State. Furthermore, he is a member of the Rhode Island Baptist Social Union.
A detailed account of Lieutenant Peck's army experiences may be found in the publications of the Rhode Island Soldiers and Sailors Historical Society under the titles of 'A Recruit before Petersburg', and 'Camp and Hospital'. He is also the author of a 'Historical Sketch of the Narragansett Baptist Association', besides very many scientific and semi-scientific papers (a number of which have been reprinted) based on original investigation or observation and presented as reports to his national medical society, or as contributions to the leading periodicals of his school. Some of the more important of these were entitled 'The Chemical Relation of Remedies', "Pabula Neonatorum', ' Symptomatology vs. Pathology', 'The Faith Cure, its Facts and Fallacies', 'American Women Childing', being an analysis of upward of fifty thousand accouchments of American women collated by himself from the attending physicians, and demonstrating an adaptability on their part for maternity superior to that of European women, 'The Practical Relations of Homeopathists to the Germ Theory', 'The Rational Treatment of Certain Puerperal Disorders, and 'Homeopathy vs. Illiteracy'. The most accurate and therefore the most complete report on the condition of homeopathy in the United States that has been published in very many years, if ever, was that prepared for the International Congress at Paris, July 18-21, 1900, at the request of its general secretary, Dr. Leon Simon, of Paris. In addition to these he furnished the 'Providence Daily Journal' with a series of 'Pencil Jottings' on divers (sic) topics between 1868 and 1872, also with other articles and reports, one of which on 'The Claims of the Militia upon our Young Men', was copied extensively through the country. A few papers contributed to the 'Christian Secretary', of Hartford, since merged with the 'Examiner', of New York, with some biographical sketches and memorial addresses, sum up the bulk of his work, although reference should be made to a history of the Rhode Island Homeopathic Hosptial, whose manuscript was long since completed but whose publication has been deferred that all his spare time might be devoted to the preparation of this volume; also to his address upon the centennial anniversary of the Providence Marine Corps of Artillery, Oct. 30, 1901, which with appended notes will form a complete history of that famous organization and will appear at the earliest possible date. In all the years since he became established in his calling, he has taken but a single vacation unconnected with professional or ecclesiastical work, and that was to the Pacific coast somewhere in the eighties, when the National Education Association met at San Francisco. It was then he invited his sister, Annie S. Peck, M.C., the well-known Alpinist, to accompany him to the summit of Mt. Shasta, it being her first ascent to any considerable elevation. He is not a politician, as is evident from the fact that upon a certain occasion he declined the tender of a nomination to the General Assembly at a time when a Republican nomination was tantamount to an election, but he has been an unswerving Republican in principle, since the days of the 'Fremont and Freedom'. Though he objects to being considered as endorsing all the acts of all alleged Republicans, he is unable to see how he can cast his vote for any other party without injury (so far as any single vote can work injury) to his city, state, and country. He is unmarried, but has two brothers, John B. Peck, A.M., of Wakefield, erstwhile an engineer officer in the United States Navy, and William Thane Peck, D. Sc., principal of the Providence Classical High School, each of whom has a daughter in college at Wellesley, and at Brown University, respectively. His nephew, William Burgess Peck, A. B., of Providence, is heir presumptive to his place in the Military Order of the Loyal Legion.
<facing page: portrait of George B. Peck>
PELEG E. PECKHAM. Captain and Brevet Major Peleg Edwin Peckham, son of Rowland and Mary Johnson Peckham, was born in Charlestown, R.I., April 6, 1835. He had three brothers and three sisters, a sister being the sole survivor of that family in 1899. Their grandfather, Peleg Peckham, was a soldier of the Revolution, and stationed at Fort Greene, Newport, R.I. At the age of sixteen young Peleg set out to learn the carpenter's trade, working thereat each summer, but teaching school winters. May 2, 1860, he married at New York City, Marth E. Ennis, who was born in Charlestown, R.I., April 15, 1834.
Aug. 1, 1862, Mr. Peckham enlisted as a private in Company A, but was mustered as fourth sergeant September 4th, commissioned second lieutenant Company E, Jan. 7, 1863; first lieutenant of same March 1st; captain Company B, July 25, 1864, and brevet major of volunteers July 30th. From January, 1865, he served as acting assistant adjutant-general on the staff of his brigade commander, Gen. John I. Curtin, until he was mortally wounded early in the day, April 2d. The brigade staff were lying in the rebel trench in front of Fort Hell waiting for something to eat. There was continuous firing, but a somewhat heavier momentary fusilade caused them to rise, when a bullet struck him over the right ear coming out at the eye. He was taken to the Cheever house which General Curtin had occupied as headquarters, though most of the staff, including Major Peckham, had tented in the yard. He received the unremitting attention of Dr. W. R. D. Blackwood, of the Forty-eighth Pennsylvania, the brigade surgeon, but with little avail. He did recover sufficiently to say to the doctor, 'Write to my wife and tell her.' Later he was sent in an ambulance to the City Point Hospital, where he died next day, April 3d.
His remains were brought to his native State and interred in River Bend Cemetery, Westerly, where a handsome monument has be erected to his memory. His only son, Dr. Frank E. Peckham, is a resident of Providence.
<facing page: portrait - Maj. Peleg E. Peckham>
p. 335 - 337:
STEPHEN F. PECKHAM. Hospital Steward Stephen Farnum Peckham is the son of Charles and Hannah Lapham Farnum Peckham. His grandfather, Thomas Peckham, was deputy collector of the port of Providence from 1811 - 1843. He is a lineal descendant of John Peckham, who, with the Clarkes and other Baptists, settled in Newport, R.I., about 1638. On his father's side he is descended from John Howland, of the Mayflower, whose son Jabez was one of the original settlers of Bristol, R.I., and, on his mother's side, from Richard Scott, John Lapham, and other early Quakers who settled in and around Providence. On both sides he came from Governors John Coggeshall and Jeremiah Clarke, and others of the followers of Anne Hutchinson, who founded the town of Portsmouth, R.I., in 1638. He may therefore be said to be a pure Rhode Islander.
He was born at Fruit Hill, North Providence, March 26, 1839. His childhood and youth were spent upon his father's farm, and in attendance upon the village school in its neighborhood. The winters of 1853, 1854, and 1855, were spent at the Friends Yearly Meeting Boarding School at Providence. The winter of 1856-7 was devoted to a special course in chemistry in the laboratory of Brown University. In the spring of 1857 he entered the drug store of Albert L. Calder, in Providence, where he remained two years, and acquired a thorough knowledge of pharmacy under the efficient instruction of that master of the art. In the fall of 1859 he returned to Brown University, and completed the work required for the B. P. course as a special student with the class of 1861. In consequence of events incident to the outbreak of the Civil War, he did not graduate.
During the fall of 1861 and winter of 1861-2 he was engaged with the late Hon. Messrs. Elisha Dyer and N. P. Hill, the latter then being Professor Hill, in the construction, equipment, and operation of a petroleum refinery in Providence, R.I. The technology of the plant was entrusted wholly to Mr. Peckham, and was entirely successful, but, from lack of capital and other causes, was not remunerative. Consequently, in the early summer of 1862, Mr. Peckham withdrew from the enterprise, soon after enlisting in the Seventh Rhode Island Volunteers, Aug. 15, 1862. He was immediately made hospital steward of the regiment with Dr. James Harris as surgeon. He served with the regiment until the Ninth Army Corps hospital was organized for the Wilderness campaign, when he was assigned to duty there. Soon after, he was placed in charge of the medical records under the medical director of the Ninth Army Corps at corps headquarters. There he remained under Drs. McDonald and Taylor until January, 1865 when he was sent to Philadelphia in charge of the chemical department of the United States army laboratory, where he remained until discharged from the service by orders from the war department May 26, 1865.
Returning to Rhode Island on June 13, 1865, he married Mary Chase, daughter of Charles M. and Adriana Fisher Peck, of Providence, and with her sailed on June 15, 1865, from New York for San Fransisco. Arriving there about July 10th, he immediately proceeded down the coast to the Ojai Ranche, in the neighborhood of Santa Barbara, where he remained a year as chemical expert for the California Petroleum Company. He then entered the service of the California Geological Survey under Prof. Josiah D. Whitney. After a careful examination of all the operations then being carried on for oil, and the preparation of an elaborate report upon the Oil Interest of Southern California, he returned to New England to make a technical examination of the California bitumens and report upon the same. This examination was made in the laboratories of the Providence Franklin Society and of Prof. Cyrus M. Warren, at Boston.
In 1867 he was engaged as tutor in chemistry by Brown University. In 1868 he went to Cambridge, Mass., and, in the laboratory of the Lawrence Scientific School, again took up his researches upon the California bitumen.
During 1869 he held the chair of chemistry at Washington College, Washington, Pa., and, during 1870 and 1871, at the Maine State College, Orono, Me. During the summer of 1871 he conducted from Prof. J. D. Whitney an analytical investigation of Pacific Coast Coals, upon which he made a report. During 1872, he was at Buchtel College, Akron, Ohio, where he held the chair of chemistry and physics. In 1873 he accepted the chair of chemistry in the University of Minnesota, at Minneapolis, Minn. He was also chemist to the Geological Survey of Minnesota and to the State Board of Health. In the latter capacity he made in 1877 an extended research and report upon the water supply of the Red River Valley. In 1878 he investigated the extensive flour mill explosions that occurred in Minneapolis, May 8, 1878, making a report thereon that attracted wide attention in insurance and scientific circles, both in the United States and Europe.
In 1881 he again returned to Providence to take up the preparation of a mongraph on petroleum for the tenth census of the United States. This work was in its extended title a treatise on the 'Natural history, technology, and uses of petroleum', including statistics of the production, manufacture, and commerce of petroleum during the census year in the United States and foreign countries. It was at the date of its publication the most exhaustive work on the subject ever issued, and required several years in its preparation, appearing in 1885. In 1889 he removed his family to Ann Arbor, Mich., where he established a laboratory for the analytical and technical examination of problems relating to bitumens. In 1893 he returned to the Pacific coast and remained until December, 1894. While there he was engaged in the investigation of problems relating to the technology of California bitumens. In August, 1893, he read a paper upon 'Petroleum in its Relation to Asphaltic Pavements' before the Congress of Chemists that met in association with the World's Columbian Exposition, and, in June, 1894, he read another paper before the Congress of Chemists that met in San Francisco, in association with the Mid-Winter Fair, upon the 'Nitrogen Content of California Bitumens'. This latter paper has been quoted from Boston to Calcutta.
Returning to Michigan in December, 1894, he visited en route the bitumen deposits of Northern Texas and the Indian Territory, and arranged as an expert for the Peoria Asphalt Paving suit. He sailed in February, 1895, for Trinidad, West Indies, and examined the celebrated Pitch Lake, returning in March. The examination of the specimens brought from Trinidad with a second trip to the Indian Territory, occupied the summer of 1895, the trial of the case coming off in November. Various technical and analytical problems filled 1896, and, in March, 1897, a third trip was made to the Indian Territory, from which he returned in November to read before the League of American Municipalities at Columbus, Ohio, an address upon 'How to obtain a good asphalt street for the least money.' In August, 1898, he was called to the city of New York to conduct a laboratory for the commission of accounts. This very confidential and responsible position he has since held.
Besides the monograph on petroleum, he has published an elementary textbook on chemistry (Louisvile, J. P. Morton & CO., 1873,) as well as the articles on Petroleum and allied subjects, for the ninth edition of the 'Encylopedia Britannica', 'Appleton's American Encyclopedia', 'Johnston's Encyclopedia', etc., as well as numerous articles contributed to scientific periodicals in both Europe and America, chiefly upon chemical and mineralogical subjects. He is considered one of the first authorities living on the subject of bitumens.
Mrs. Mary C. Peckham died March 20, 1892, in Ann Arbor, deeply lamented by a wide circle of friends to whom her brilliant social and intellectual gifts had greatly endeared her. Professor Peckham was married Aug. 1, 1902, to Hattie Catherine Wait Van Buren, M.D., of Brooklyn, N.Y., daughter of Bartley Lansing and Margaret Josephine Williams Van Buren, of Lebanon Springs, N.Y. By his first marriage he had Edward Hall, born in San Francisco, April 2, 1866; died in Orono, Me., Jan 31, 1871; Herbert Edmund, born July 24, 1871, A. B., University Mich., 1894, a physician; Anna Hope, born April 17, 1873, Chicago Kindergarten College, 1899; Mary Wythe, born March 27, 1875, Pratt Institute, 1901.
Professor Peckham received the honorary degree of A.M. from Brown University in 1870. He is a member and Fellow of the American Association for the Advancement of Science, the New York Lyceum of Natural History, the American Chemical Society, the Society of Chemical Industry, the Franklin Institute of Philadelphia, the American Philosophical Society, etc.
<facing page: portrait of Hospital Steward Stephen F. Peckham>
CHARLES H. PERKINS. Charles Henry Perkins was the son of Josiah and Malinda Smith Perkins. He was a descendant of the sixth generation from Francis Eaton, who came over in the 'Mayflower'. He resides at Lime Rock.
JAMES T. PHELPS. First Lieutenant James Thomas Phelps, son of William Bowman and Matilda and Williston Phelps, was born in Bristol, R.I., Feb. 15, 1842. His education was obtained in the public schools of that town. At one time the family circle contained four boys and five girls. Upon attaining suitable age he went to New York City and learned the jeweler's trade with an elder brother. Since leaving the service he has been employed in the rubber business at the place of his nativity. Sept. 1, 1868, he married Almy Malvina, daughter of Hector and Mary Bolton Page, who presented him with two girls, Mary Matilda, afterward wife of Edgar Webster, of Chepachet, but dying Sept. 28, 1891, exactly three months from her wedding day, and Emilie Frances, wife of Frank Bliss Wilson. She has lost an infant son, aged one and a half years, but has a daughter nearly as old, named Claudia. Mr. Phelps is a member of and an officer in Babbitt Post, Grand Army of the Republic, and the Royal Arcanum.
p. 406 - 407:
CHARLES L. PORTER. Orderly Sergeant Charles Lyman Porter, son of Lyman Edmans and Mary Silver Porter, was born Nov. 28, 1844, at East Thompson, Conn. He was a resident of that town when he enlisted. He was appointed a corporal almost at once, and was selected to be one of the original color guard. In March, 1863, he was returned to his company and the latter part of April made orderly sergeant, which position he retained until he was mustered out. At Cold Harbor, June 3, 1864, he received a severe gunshot wound in his left leg. Feb. 23, 1864, he married Florence Jane Joslin. After the war he settled in Willimantic, Conn. He was a shoemaker by trade. The last ten years of his life he was watchman at the No. 1 thread mills in that city, but six weeks before his demise he resigned on account of ill-health, and, in company with a lad about eight years old, went fishing. He waded into the water on his way to a certain rock. Just as he stepped upon the rock he put his hands to his head, called the boy's name and fell backward into the water, which, at that point, was about six feet deep. The boy could not reach him so ran to the house for help, when the body was recovered as soon as possible. Medical aid was summoned, but all attempts at resuscitation were ineffectual. He left a widow, a son, and a daughter. He was a member of the Grand Army of the Republic and of the Royal Arcanum.
HENRY C. POTTER. Corporal Henry Christy Potter was born Aug. 18, 1816. His father, Christy Potter, was colonel of the United Train of Artillery in 1826; his paternal grandfather, Henry Potter, of South Kingstown, bore the title of major, while his maternal great-grandfather was Joseph Smith, of Lexington, Mass., a Revoluntionary soldier. He married Jan. 2, 1842, Emerilda Wheldon, daughter of Rev. Thomas Baxter, of Cape Cod. She died Feb. 11, 1891. Six children were born to them: Eliza Carter, Oct. 27, 1842; John Henry, April 23, 1844; Annie Emerilda, Sept. 14, 1846; Ella Maria, Aug. 3, 1850; Pearl Amelia, Jan. 6, 1853, and Mary Dean, Feb. 1, 1856. Of those, only Ella and Pearl were living in 1899.
FRANCIS W. POTTER. Corporal Francis William Potter, son of Jesse and Elizabeth Sherman Potter, was born Dec. 27, 1827. His father and mother were hard working, respectable people. Francis received his education in the public schools of Johnston. By occupation he was a blacksmith. He married Ruth E. Paine Feb. 28, 1858. She was born Oct. 9, 1838. They had children: Elizabeth, deceased; Francis W., a blacksmith at Pawtucket; George W., a clerk at Providence; Willett E., a sergeant of police, Providence. At the time of enlistment he was employed at his trade by Daniel W. Mowry, of Chepachet. He was mortally wounded April 13, 1864, by the bursting of a shell at Spottsylvania; both legs were amputated. He was buried with his fallen comrades on the battlefield. For thirteen years the widow toiled in a cotton mill at Rockland, striving with what she earned and the pension allowed by government to give her children a common school education. The eldest son she sent to a collegiate institute. After a widowhood of fifteen years Mrs. Potter was maried to Stephen H. Olney, who died about 1894. She now resides with her youngest son at No. 43 Potter Avenue as does also her second son.
JAMES N. POTTER. Captain James Norris Potter, youngest of the four children of John Norris and Martha Maria Yeomans Potter, was born in Newport, R.I., May 17, 1841. His education was obtained solely from the public schools of that city, hence at an early age he could avail himself of an opportunity to enter the private office of Robert Lenox Kennedy, of New York City. This he relinquished only for the purpose of entering Duryea's regiment of Zouaves. For some reason, however, he changed his plans and was mustered as second lieutenant Company C, Seventh Rhode Island Infantry, Aug. 6, 1862; commissioned first lieutenant of same March 1, 1863, and captain April 30, 1863, but was not mustered as such because of an insufficient number of men therein until June 30, 1864. During the months of January, February, and March, of that year and while in Kentucky, his health became much impaired. One day before Petersburg he was sunstruck, and never was a well man afterward. At times he would suffer excruciating pains in his head. Dec. 30, 1864, he was detached for service at Concord, N.H., and so borne until May 25, 1865. He was mustered out July 2, 1865, to date from June 9th.
Captain Potter died very suddenly November, 1869, in Providence, R.I. He left a brother, William Y. Potter, of that city, and a sister, Mrs. Charles B. Whiting, of Newtonville, Mass. His father survived him eighteen years and one month. He is remembered as replete with kindness and thoughtfulness for those about him. He was especially neat in his habits, and, after a hard march or an engagement, was first to appear in a thoroughly brushed uniform, polished boots, and a clean white collar.
p. 352 - 354:
JAMES H. REMINGTON. Captain James Henry Remington, son of Benjamin F., was born at Warwick, R.I., Nov. 9, 1838, on the old homestead, which, up to 1892, at least, had been in the Remington family since it was purchased from the Narragansett Indians. The father was a member of the Rhode Island legislature at the time Thomas Wilson Dorr interrupted the peace of that state for a period with his insurrection. He at once forsook his seat and enrolled himself in the force that crushed out Dorr's Rebellion, and restored order in the community. Young Remington was so thoroughly prepared for college at the East Greenwich Academy, that, in 1862, he was graduated as valedictorian at Brown Univeristy. His oration, which was on the 'Scholar's Relations to Humanity,' was delivered in the uniform of a captain of infantry beneath the traditional scholastic gown. He was mustered as captain of Company H Setpember 4th, and was dangerously wounded at Fredericksburg December 13th, his jaw being shattered, on account of which he was discharged for disability May 2, 1863. At the April state election he was chosen to the Rhode Island House of Representtives and attended the May session of the same, but so anxious was he to be doing something for his country he subsequently resigned his seat and accepted a captain's commission in the Veteran Reserve Corps, popularly though irreverently designated the Invalid Corps, to date from June 27, 1863.
During the winter of 1864-5 his regiment was stationed at Elmira, N.Y., for guard duty over the rebel prisoners located there. His leisure moments were now devoted to the study of law. Later he was ordered to Albany as judge advocate of a general court-martial for the trial of deserters and other military offenders. Here his studies were prosecuted under more favorable circumstances. Dec. 30, 1865, General Hooker, by order of the secretary of war, appointed Captain Remington judge advocate of the court of inquiry convened at Rochester, N.Y., to investigate certain charges against Col. E. G. Marshall, a graduate of West Point, attached to the Fifth United States Infantry, who had previously distinguished himself as the commander of the Thirteenth New York Volunteers. The case was hotly contested for several weeks, but resulted in the exoneration of the colonel. In this famous trial he clearly exhibited the ability, learning, and tact that afterward distinguished him at the bar. Subsequently he served at Winchester, Wytheville, and Norfolk, Va., as military commissioner, assisting in the reconstruction of the state and gaining the respect of all parties for his firmness and impartiality. He resigned in September, 1868, having been commissioned major by brevet for gallantry and good conduct to date, from March 13, 1865, and henceforth devoted his attention exclusively to the law.
Dec. 8, 1868, Mr. Remington was admitted to the bar at Norfolk, and immediately commenced practice in the courts of Virginia. Pending reconstruction he was appointed by General Canby, who commanded the first military district of Virginia, attorney for Norfolk, Princess Anne, Nansemond, South Hampton, and Isle of Wight counties. So satisfactorily did he discharge his duties that when the state had become reconstructed, he was at once elected by the people attorney for Norfolk County and the City of Portsmouth. When the organization of the Grand Army of the Republic commenced he became one of its leader, and it was largely through his personal influence that the Department of Virginia was established. In December, 1870, he was appointed its commander by Gen. John A. Logan, then commander-in-chief of the order, but previously had been chosen commander of the Farragut Post at Portsmouth.
Though Mr. Remington's practice became extensive, and an honorable reputation attained, he desired a larger field for the exercise of his talents, and, accordingly, removed in April, 1872, to New York City, making his home, however, in Brooklyn. For a number of years he was a member of the firm of Ulman, Remington & Porter, later of that of Ten Eyck & Remington. Though thoroughly acquainted with every branch of the profession he devoted most attention to commercial, tax, patent, and real estate law, and the construction of wills. He was one of the earliest members of the New York State Bar Association, which was organized in 1877, and materially aided it in the attainment of its present influential position. He was president of the United States Law Association from 1881 until his death. As such it was his duty to prepare yearly a digest of the commercial and business law of the several states, which made him a recognized authority on those subjects.
Beside all this he found time to acquaint himself with the treasures of literature and art, and, as well, to contribute largely to the magazines and the leading journals of the day. For a more detailed analysis of the man and his work, the reader is referred to a sketch by L. B. Proctor in the 'Albany Law Journal' for April 2, 1892.
Mr. Remington was a member of the Plymouth Church, Brooklyn, and for many years a warm friend and admirer of Henry Ward Beecher. Though not an active club man, he was a member of the Montauk Club and of the Brooklyn Riding and Driving Club. He was also a supporter of the Brooklyn Institute of Arts and Sciences.
Oct. 14, 1868, he married Ellen F. Howard, of Brooklyn, who proved a most admirable companion. She preceded him by a comparatively short interval to the spirit world. Himself passed from earth Feb. 16, 1899, leaving a son and a daughter, whose pen has already challenged the admiration of the press and of the public.
p. 407 - 408:
SAMUEL E. RICE. Sergeant Samuel Edward Rice, only son of Samuel R. and Sarah Rice, was born in East Greenwich, March 4, 1843. He was educated at the public schools and Greenwich Academy. He was a soldier from a child. When very young he formed a little company of boys and was its captain. He joined the Kentish Guards when only sixteen and was sergeant in that organization when he enlisted. He was exceedingly patriotic and was anxious to take part in the struggle from its very beginning. He was with difficulty dissuaded by his friends because of his youth from joining the Second Regiment in which very many of his associates were enrolled, but when the Seventh was organized he enlisted much against the wishes of his parents.. He asserted that the war would terminate in a year and that if he lived to come home his relatives and friends would be proud of him. But alas! he never came home. He was mortally wounded at Spottsylvania Court House, May 18, 1864, and died the same day. An officer says in a private letter published in the 'Providence Press': 'The shelling was the heaviest we have yet experienced. One struck in Company H, taking off five legs and one arm; another in the color guard, going through one of the corporals and wounding one or two others. If you could have seen Sergeant Rice with his left leg and right arm torn off, the flesh quivering, a wound in his side and another in his right leg, look up as we passed by him to take a position a little nearer and say in a contented, yet, cheerful tone, 'Boys go in, I can't be with you any more, I have done all I can for you', you would have realized some of the horrors war can bring. Dr. Sprague reported that seven were severely wounded by that same shell, five of whom died almost immediately afterward. He was taken to the field hospital about two p.m. and expired almost without a struggle at five p.m. During the interval he was perfectly sensible and apparently free from pain. He had no fear of death and his last words were: 'Tell them all at home I die like a man.' He was first buried on what was called the 'Harris Farm', a place near the Ny River (north side) on the road to Spottsylvania Court House. The house stood in some distance from the road. His grave was just outside the garden fence in the second row and the first, reckoning from the road. A piece of shelter tent cloth was wrapped around his head in order to identify him and a headboard was erected, but the absence of the right arm was the best clue to recognition. The left leg was simply badly shattered below the knee. Afterward his remains were removed to the Fredericksburg National Cemetery where they rest in Division A, Section C, Grave 576. A stone has been erected to his memory in the family burial lot in East Greenwich, and it is decorated every Memorial Day. He was beloved by his comrades, both as a soldier and as a man. He was regimental postmaster after Chaplain Howard resigned.
p. 408 - 409:
PRESTON B. RICHMOND. Preston Baker Richmond, son of Isaac B. and Abigail Brown Richmond, native of Little Compton, R.I., was born in Savannah, Ga., April 5, 1832. At one time he was a merchant in Benicia, Cal., but for thirty years he has carried on a dry goods and grocery business in Little Compton. During Buchanan's administration, he held the office of postmaster. At the outbreak of the Rebellion he attempted to raise a company, having had the promise of a captain's commission under Colonel Sayles, but, not succeeding in this as soon as he desired, reported at the front and served as private in the battle of Fredericksburg. He was one of the detail that brought in the colonel's body. A little later he was appointed postmaster at Ninth Corps headquarters, which position he retained until mustered out at the close of the war. The exposures of three years produced asthma which eventually induced heart disease resulting in sudden and unexpected death Sept. 12, 1883, in Providence, whither he had gone with his wife and two sons in the hope of benefiting his health. He served the town several years in the capacity of treasurer and collector, and, except during a few months, was the only secretary employed by the Tiverton and Little Compton Mutual Life Insurance Company prior to his death. For many years he was treasurer of the United Congregational Church and Society. He married April 5, 1854, Eliza Gray Brown, of Little Compton, by whom he had Willard Preston, April 15, 1856, and Isaac Lester, Jan. 12, 1862, deceased. He also married June 8, 1870, Maria Macie, daughter of Hon. Gideon H. Durfee, of Tiverton, Mass., by whom he had Gideon Henry, March 13, 1871, and Charles Durfee, September, 1875.
HENRY ROBERTS. Orderly Sergeant Henry Roberts was born in Broomfield, Mass., April 1, 1838. His real name was Edward A. Root. He originally enlisted from Stafford, Conn., July 22, 1861, in Company K, Fifth Regiment Connecticut Volunteers. For an account of his military record see page 19. He was well liked while with the Seventh and would attract attention anywhere. He died Feb. 24, 1885, at Auburn, N.Y., when in the employ of the Auburn Tool Company as a plane maker.
ROLAND GIBSON ROWLAND. Captain Rowland Gibson Rodman, youngest son of Samuel and Mary Peckham Rodman, was born in South Kingstown, R.I., Jan. 10, 1828. At the age of eighteen he was admitted to the firm of Samuel Rodman & Sons, the largest manufacturers in the United States of that grade of coarse woolens for plantation use, known as Negro cloth. Six mills were kept in constant operation for the Southern trade, which was their sole market. Their business was ruined by the Rebellion, for the slaves when freed would no longer wear the style of goods furnished them when in bondage.
In 1856 Mr. Rodman married Maria Macie, daughter of Hon. Nathaniel B. and Harriet Green Durfee, of Tiverton, R.I., by whom he had five children, Roland Gibson, Jr., Harriet Green, Marcie Durfee, Nathaniel Durfee and Edgar Green. In the summer of 1862 he recruited a company of ninety-four men for the Seventh, for which he received a captain's commission in September. At the battle of Fredericksburg, he was severely wounded in the right shoulder, by which he was disabled for months, and for which he received an honorary discharge Feb. 27, 1863. Returning to his native state he re-engaged in manufactures, but in 1887 he removed his family to Ashland, Wis., where he died of apoplexy March 10, 1901.
Brig.-Gen. Isaac P. Rodman, who was mortally wounded at Antietam, while in command of a division, was his eldest brother.
BRIDGMAN C. ROOT. Second Lieutenant Bridgman Chapin Root, only son of Elisha King and Charlotte Chapin Root, was born at Collinsville, Conn., Oct. 19, 1836. His mother was a direct descendant of Deacon Samuel Chapin, of Springfield, Mass., who came to this country in 1642. His father was for several years foreman in Colonel Colt's fire-arms manufactory, and, on his death, was elected president of the corporation and superintendent of the works. Bridgman possessed a very delicate physique, and hence was educated at a private school for boys in Hartford, where his father then resided. Prior to the outbreak of the Rebellion he was engaged in the stationery business at Providence, R.I., and, accordingly, when Sumter was fired on, he enlisted in Company C, First Regiment Rhode Island Detached Militia. Subsequently he applied for a commission in the Seventh, and was appointed to Company F. He was tall and dark-eyed, in fact a fine looking officer. He served as aid to Brig. Gen. Gabriel Rene Paul, from September 19th until Dec. 8, 1862, when he was compelled to resign because of severe attacks of asthma. Ere long, he received a clerkship in Surgeon-General Barnes's office at Washington. Next he was appointed custodian of the vault at the Bureau of Engraving and Printing. Afterward he was made assistant to chief of the bureau. It was while holding this office that he died of consumption, April 14, 1873.
Lieutenant Root in 1864 married Zelina McIntire, of Washington, who survived (for nearly twenty years) with two children, Bridgman Cranch Root, of Bridgeport, Conn., and Mrs. John Stokes Adams, of Philadelphia, Penn.
CHESTER P. ROUND. Chester Phillips Round, youngest of the seven children of George and Hannah A. Phillips Round, was born in Foster, R.I., July 2, 1840. As the son of a poor, but thrifty farmer, he grew to manhood with few of the advantages of education boys of the present day enjoy, attending school only during the winter months and working on the farm through the summer. Moreover, being of a mischievous temperament, and, receiving little intellectual stimulus from the brief opportunites of study afforded, he never mastered those principles of knowledge that otherwise would have been his. At the outbreak of the Rebellion he decided his highest duty was to his country, and, accordingly, he enlisted after due deliberation and at a time when its necessities were most pressing. He visited home but twice during his three years of service, from which he emerged enfeebled in health, because of the privations and struggles experienced, and yet with enough of his former vigor remaining to make him after the lapse of thirty-seven years, a genial, energetic, middle aged man. During all this period he has devoted his time and attention to the jewelry business in which he is at present engaged. Mr. Round married Jan. 16, 1866, Emma, daughter of Job Whipple and Maria Margaret Howard Hill, of Foster, by whom he had one daughter, Eda May, who is a teacher in the Manual Training High School. He is a member of Hamilton Lodge, No. 15, A. F. and A. M., of What Cheer Lodge, No. 24, Knights of Pythias, and of Westminster Lodge, No. 78, New England Order of Protection, the establishment and maintenance of which has been chiefly the result of his personal labor.
At the battle of Spottysylvania, Va., May 12, 1864, he received a gunshot wound in the index finger of the left hand and was sent to the Mt. Pleasant Hospital, Washington, D.C.
p. 409 - 410:
JOSEPH ROWE. Orderly Sergeant Joseph Rowe, son of James and Rachel Galloupe Rowe, was born in Boston, Mass., March 8, 1812. His mother was of the family from which Galloupe Island was named. About 1830 he married Susan H. Sweet, of Foxboro, Mass., a connection of the Edward Everett family. To them were born, William D., March 5, 1832; Joseph Robert, Sept. 24, 1834, deceased April 7, 1900; Adaline Roberts, Nov. 6, 1836; Susan Frances, March 15, 1839; Charles H., May 22, 1841, deceased; Ellen Sweet, March 12, 1844, deceased; James Edgar, June 10, 1846, who served in the Seventh as a drummer, and when last heard from was residing in Missouri; George E., Nov. 4, 1852, deceased. Sergeant Rowe died May 14, 1878. His widow was residing with her youngest surviving daughter at No. 157 West Canton Street, Boston, Mass., in December, 1900. The sergeant must have been one of the oldest members of the regiment, was absent very little during his term of enlistment, and with his son, James Edgar, who was a member of the same company, was mustered out of service at the muster out of the organization. His father was a soldier in the war of 1812, dying at New Orleans, La., in 1815. He assisted in the defeat of the British at Chalmette.
JOHN H. ROWLEY. Sergeant John H. Rowley, son of William and Chloe Simmons Warren Rowley, was born in Crompton, R.I., Dec. 8, 1840. When four years of age the family removed to Manton where he lived off and on a number of years. He attended school in that village until he was fifteen when on a certain noon he failed to return to dinner. His parents did not see him again for a year and a half. The intervening time was spent among the farmers of Ogle County, Ill. When he did come back he set about learning the nail maker's trade. This he mastered before 1860, for that year he opened a grocery store in Manton. One day in 1862 he drove into Providence with a load of grain and drove back in a bran (sic) new suit of soldier clothes, having meanwhile enlisted. He had secured a furlough so he could sell out his store, and, when that was accomplished, he reported at Camp Bliss. He sought no detail for special duty but served with his company through its marches and battles, except when he was severely wounded July 30, 1864, at the Mine explosion, Petersburg, Va. He was taken thence to the Portsmouth Grove Hospital, whence he returned to the regiment just in season to participate in the Pegram House engagements, September 30th. He was mustered out with his regiment in 1865. In September of that year he married Aminda Melissa, daughter of Caleb and Lucinda Brown Harrington, of South Killingly, Conn. They have no issue. He opened a livery and sale stable in Providence, but the latter branch of his business became so extensive he was obliged to relinquish the former. He also deals in real estate to a limited extent. At one time he was a member of Hope Lodge, No. 4, Independent Order of Odd Fellows.
The Newport County Reading Room Index More Biographies & History .