Rhode Island Reading Room
These documents are made available free to the public by the Rhode Island USGenWeb Project

This section contains articles of genealogical and historic interest on Rhode Island in general, from old Rhode Island books and newspapers. If you would like to contribute please e-mail me with information.

The Seventh Regiment of RI Volunteers in the Civil War, 1862 - 1865
by William P. Hopkins, Snow & Farmham Printers, Providence, RI, 1903

p. 422 - 424:

WILLIAM A. GALLAGHER. Sutler William A. Gallagher, son of Anthony and Mary Brown Gallagher, was born near Coweset (sic), Warwick, June 30, 1837.  Her grandfather (sic) was a colonel in the Revoluntionary War.  When ten years of age he took a short sea voyage with a friend which resulted in his running away two years later and shipping first for coasting trips and then for two whaling cruises.  On each of these, however, he found it convenient to be left behind on some island of the Pacific.  Upon his final return he went to River Point and learned the moulder's trade.  But he had seen too much or too little of the world to be content.  For a time he hesitated between the army and the navy, but at last his preference was established for the former.  He relinquished his job and went to Jefferson Barracks, Mo., just below St. Louis, where he decided to join the expedition again the Mormons, then in revolt against our government (1857).  It assembled at Fort Leavenworth where he had a fine opportunity to see and study Robert E. Lee, Albert Sidney Johnston, and E. P. Alexander (all of the Southern persuasion), as well as other noted and notorious men.  He did not enlist, as he preferred to work his way across the great plains, and beside (sic), he had concluded to push through California, where he soon accumulated a respectable pile of gold.  On this trip he first acquainted himself with the sutler's art.  He purchased an assortment of staple articles and disposed of them along the road and at Salt Lake City at a good profit, having availed himself of United States transportation.  He worked in the gold mines, also at odd jobs in the mountains, but, finally, reached San Francisco, where he was a bar tender in the Orentia Hotel.  Later he returned to the mines.  In the fall of 1860 he went with a friend to the city to take a steamer for the 'States'.  While there he listened to a lecture by the noted Southern fire-eater, William L. Yancy.  He decided at once that war was inevitable, returned to camp, sold his claim, and started straightway for Rhode Island, determined to have a hand in it and to win a commission if possible.  He reacched home a little before the 'Star of the West' was fired on, when attempting to carry supplies to Fort Sumter.  He enlisted in Company A, First Regiment Rhode Island Detached Militia, and was one of the six selected therefrom to form a company of sharpshooters, which was equipped with the Burnside carbine, a breach loader, having previously familiarized himself with the Sharpe's rifle on plain and mountain.  On the very first march he was disabled (see Woodbury's History of the First Rhode Island).  When sufficiently recovered to get around he went to Washington, D. C., and commenced taking pictures for the soldiers, letter pictures, tintypes.

When the Ninth and Tenth Regiments and Tenth Battery arrived in Washington he was appointed sutler to the three commands, remaining with them even on their return to Rhode Island.  Meantime Colonel Bliss was organizing the Seventh at Camp Bliss, near Washington Park, South Providence, and, at his request, with that of other officers, Gallaghter attached himself to that command.  He accompanied it to Washington, and remained with it and served it through camps until just before the battle of Fredericksburg, Va.  During its stay there it was almost impossible to supply it with goods, as all the government wagon trains were crowded with its own supplies, and it was exceedingly hazardous to go by the regular wagon road.  When the regiment was at Amissville, Va., on its way to the Rappahannock, and after its skirmish at that place with a force of Confederates, he returned to Washington for a supply of goods.  When it had reached Falmouth he started to rejoin it with two wagons and eight animals, as the roads were almost impassable.  He had a very choice supply of goods as well as several very costly watches, belonging to generals who had left them in Washington for repairs, as well as a number of less value, belonging to members of his own command.  Having safely passed the guards at Long Bridge, who were exceedingly vigilant in their search for contraband goods, he attached himself to a train of twelve army wagons carrying supplies under escort of a number of furloughed men returning to their several organizations.  Beyond Alexandria the mud was appalling, almost disheartening.  It required severe effort to proceed.  One night, after passing a farmhouse near Dumfries, the wagons were scattered along the road for half a mile.  He decided to pass the night there, so after feeding his animals and providing for them as best he could, he returned with a soldier.  They went under a shed and watched and waited, hoping to discover some colored folk from whom a ham or a brace of chickens or some potatoes might be purchased.  After a while, he was surprised to hear the familiar jingle of a cavalry man's sabre.  The fellow rode directly under the shed, as if entirely familiar with the premises, dismounted, hitched his horse within three feet of where Gallagher stood, went to the back door of the house, gave three raps, and, after some delay, was admitted, though no light was visilble therein.  The sutler cautiously lit a match, rubbed the thick mud off the animal's brand and saw the hairless stamp, C.S.A.  The saddle was similarly branded and its horn bore a metal button with identical inscription.  The two hustled away double quick and reported to the major in command of the train what they had seen.  He told them they were afraid, that there were no rebels inside our lines.  The fact was he was feeling too good to care if he was surrounded by rebs (sic). William admits he did not rest very well that night.  In the morning at sunrise Stuart's cavalry appeared, numbering some three hundred.  The day before they had crossed one of the lower fords of the Rappahannock, and stolen past our pickets.  It was in wooded country so they had easily concealed themselves.  They straightway made for the sutler's wagons where he was trying to secrete the watches, but it was of no avail.  They pointed their revolvers at his head and ordered him off the wagon d--- quick.  No time was lost in complying with their emphatic commands.

Now it had so happened that Captain Joyce, Captain Channell, Lieutenant Manchester, and others, had given him special orders for top boots; also Colonel Bliss, Colonel Sayles, and Major Babbitt for a quantity of fine under and outer clother.  All were alke confiscated in short order.  The rebs disrobed on the muddy soil and put on whatever they could wear; such other goods as they could utilize were in like manner appropriated, while the residue, together with the wagons and the train, were burned.  The animals and the prisoners were then driven off like so many cattle.  In expectation of such a denouement Gallagher had prepared one of his best horses and had donned a pair of silver spurs which he had obtained in St. Louis, and with which he had rode across the plains.  These last saved him. He could not walk very well on account of his lame leg.  He lagged behind the squad he was with.  It was commanded by a lieutneant he had known in Utah, the officer then being a sergeant in the Tenth United States Infantry. At length, they came to a brook, when the lieutenant assisted him on to the mare, to carry him across, but the little animal would not carry both so he was compelled to wade, the Reb remarking his horse would not carry a Yank. Ere long he fell behind and out while the officer bore off the silver spurs. Next morning he came across an escaped comrade and they watched as they passed through the woodland for a house.  Fortunately they met an old darky whom they induced to bring them some hoe-cake and bacon.  Later he put them on the direct road to Alexandria.  When next he was the Seventh it was at Newport News, Va.

Mr. Gallagher accompanied the regiment through its Misssissippi campaign, but was at last stricken with malarial fever, when camped at Haynes Bluff on the Yazoo River, after its return from Jackson.  He rejoined it near Lexington, Ky., in the latter part of August, 1863, and accompanied it to Point Isabel on the Cumberland River.  Returning to Lexington for a new supply of goods he was again taken ill and compelled to return to Rhode Island.  His physical condition was now so impaired that it seemed the height of imprudence to attempt longer to discharge the duties of his position, so reluctantly he forwarded his resignation to the colonel.  He writes that during the time he was with the regiment he always tried to please the boys and to furnish them as often as possible with such things as they might crave at a price as reasonable as possible.  In general they credited him with such intentions.

After sojourning a year or more in Providence, he removed to Ohio where he tarried until the Rebellion was well quieted.  Then he went to Texas to look after wild stray cattle, known as Mavericks.  He collected and sold a number of bunches and was doing well when he was stricken with yellow fever, and lost all he had through the treachery of his partner, who believed he was going to die.  He was successfully nursed by an old negress whom he had paid well before becoming seriously ill.  From Galveston he sailed to New York City, where for two years he was a witness runner at the Tombs Court.  Then he returned to Providence and married Mary E. Dixon, residing in Rhode Island and Massachusetts until 1878.  Then he removed to Leadville, Col., and later to Arizona, where again he became engaged in mining.  In 1884 he took up his abode at Eskridge, Kan., where he still resides.  When first crossing the plains he concluded that some day he would see that portion of the country thickly settled, and if so he would come there.  He reports that section beautiful, water good and pure, the atmosphere healthy and bracing. He had one brother in Battery D, Rhode Island Light Artillery; another in the Second Regiment, Rhode Island Volunteers, while the youngest was in the Fourteenth Connecticut Infantry.  All  are now living and in good health.

<facing page: portrait of William Gallagher - Sutler, and a second photo of his sutler business>

p. 385:

GEORGE W. GARDINER. George Washington Gardiner, son of Ray G. and Rachel Gardiner, was born in Milo, Yates County, N.Y., July 26, 1838.  His father was born in Exeter, R.I., and his mother in Benton, Yates County, N.Y.  He married Christiana F. Kingsley, a native of Rhode Island.  He was a farmer by occupation, and enlisted from Hopkinton.  He died Saturday, Oct. 18, 1862, of typhoid pneumonia, at Pleasant Valley, Md., leaving one daughter.  His remains were brought to Rhode Island about two months after his death.

p. 385 - 386:

JOSEPH W. GARDNER. Joseph W. Gardner, son of Jeffrey H. Gardner, of Exeter, R.I., was born at East Greenwich, R.I., May 31, 1836.  He enlisted at Crompton, R.I.  During the latter part of 1864 he became an inmate of the Lincoln General Hospital, at Washington, D.C.   When convalescence was fully established, he was sent back to the regiment and returned with it to Rhode Island.  He is a blacksmith by trade, and has since followed it; at River Point five years, at Knightsville three years, and at Hope Valley twenty-five years.

p. 386:

JOHN W. GAREY. John W. Garey, son of Edward and Abbie Bray Garey, was born in Providence, R.I., June 24, 1842.  He was shot through the chest at Fredericksburg, in consequence of which he was discharged from the service March 14, 1863. Jan. 28, 1864, he married Maria Ann McCormick, who still resides at the Garey homestead, 618 Wickenden Street.  Mr. Garey by occupation was an oysterman.  He died of consumption Jan. 7, 1883.

p. 386:

JAMES W. GAVITT. James Washington Gavitt, son of Robert A. and Celinda Collins Gavitt, was born in Scituate, R.I., Dec. 19, 1835.  There were six sons and two daughters in the family.  By occupation he was both farmer and stone mason. He distinguished himself at Cold Harbor, June 2, 1864, by the capture of two prisoners when himself had been disarmed (See page 354).  At the Pegram house Sept. 30, 1864, he was shot through the right thigh, an injury from which he never fully recovered.  About 1868 he married at Newport, R.I., Roxanna Mitchell, of New Shoreham.  His death occurred Jan. 19, 1895, at his place in Coventry, Kent County, R.I., about one and a half miles east of Oneco, Conn., and two and a half west of Greene.  His widow still survives him.

p. 333:

WILLIAM A. GAYLORD. Assistant Surgeon William Alvestus Gaylord, the elder of the two sons and the only children of Rufus and Abigail Riggs Gaylord, was born at Westfield, Mass., in his grandfather's house, June 17, 1820.  His father died when he was scarcely five years of age, so he remained there with his mother until she married a second time.  Even then he continued to tarry under the ancestral roof until his grandmother's death which occurred when he was about fifteen.  Then he was sent to his mother at Hartford, Conn., by whom he was almost immediately apprenticed to a Mr. Andrews, stucco worker, after the manner of that time.  When sufficiently advanced in years and strength, and knowledge (i.e., at the age of nineteen) he bought his remaining time, and, by judiciously combining labor and study, under the direction of Dr. William Marcy, an eminent practitioner of that city, succeeded, eventually, in graduating at the Harvard Medical School in 1848.  It was ever his proud boast that whatever he possessed, whether of knowledge or of worldly goods, he secured by hard work.  That he obtained a good foundation for his professional studies is evident from the fact that he taught Greek and Latin as well as penmanship in order to assist himself to his diploma.

His first location was in New Hampshire, and, as soon as he became established, he took unto himself a wife, Esther Rogers, of Hartford.  In 1855, if not earlier, he removed to Valley Falls, R.I., and a little later to Pawtucket, where he continued to reside until his death, Oct. 24, 1893. Jan. 31, 1873, he was married for a second time to Elvira, daughter of Warren Messinger and Eliza Ayer Orswell, of Shirley, Mass., who survives him with one son bearing his father's name, and a graduate of the self-same professional school exactly a half century later.  He continues his father's labors, which have proved satisfactorily remunerative.

Dr. Gaylord, Sr., served as assistant surgeon of the Seventh, Aug. 29, 1862, until Jan. 2, 1863.

p. 386:

FRANKLIN GONSOLVE. Sergeant Franklin Gonsolve, son of William and Adelina Howe Gonsolve, was born in Providence, R.I., Aug. 22, 1823.  He attended the public schools until he was sixteen years of age, when he bound himself to Wheeler & Knight, to learn the jewelry trade.  At this he continued to work until the war broke out.  Previously (in 1858) he married Mary A. Bamford.  His first service was three months in Company B, First Regiment, Rhode Island Detached Militia.  His second was in Company B of the Seventh, and his third a re-enlistment spent in Company C.  He was slightly wounded July 30, 1864, at Petersburg.  After his return home he obtained work of Wilcox, Battell & Co., jewelers, in whose employment he remained until his death by apoplexy, Aug. 17, 1895, after an illlness of two days.  He left a widow, two sons, George H., and William F., a brother and his mother.  He was a member of Prescott Post, No. 1, Grand Army of the Republic.

p. 335:

JOSEPH J. D. GRAFTON. Quartermaster Sergeant Joseph Jameson Dods Grafton was born in Smithfield, R.I., Aug. 29, 1820.  May 1, 1844, he married Harriet E. Campbell,, who was born in Bolton, Mass., April 11, 1824.  Though he enlisted in Company B, he had served some time in the quartermaster's department.  Nov. 14, 1862, John R. Stanhope, who had been serving as quartermaster sergeant, was promoted to quartermaster; he was appointed to the vacancy thus created December 31st, but it was dated back to November 3d.

Sergeant Grafton died at Providence, R.I., Nov. 7, 1889, after an illness of nearly seven years.  His widow followed him Dec. 3, 1895.  Two daughters survive them, Mrs. H. E. Hewitt Waite and Mrs. Ada M. Briggs.

p. 386 - 387:

IRA W. GRANT. Ira Whitaker Grant, fifth child of Sylvester and Susan Boomer Grant, was born at Valley Falls, Cumberland, April 12, 1842.  There were three daughters and ten sons in the family of whom only three sons are now living (November, 1902).  Ira received a common school education and was employed as a clerk at the time of his enlistment.  Two brothers, George S. and Samuel, accompanied him to the field.  He was mortally wounded at Cold Harbor, June 3, 1864.  Joseph Taylor was ordered to assist him to the rear and see him well started toward a field hospital.  Now Grant was a small man so his comrade could readily handle him.  They had reached the border of the swamp to the rear of the line of battle when he became exhausted from loss of blood.  Taylor laid him down and he fainted.  Just then a rebel shell knocked a large limb from an overhanging tree which fell and covered them both.  Taylor finally succeeded in throwing off the limb, but Grant still remained in his faint.  The former had never seen a person in that condition and had not the slightest idea what should be done.  None were near to call. Shells and bullets filled the atmosphere above them.  He feared his comrade was dead and that he would be obliged to leave him.  Just then he noticed Grant's head was settling in the swampy water to his face and lips, and began to move.  He then seized him by the shoulders and dragged him through the swamp where in places both sank knee deep in the soft mud.  Beyond they found some men with stretchers, on one of which the wounded soldier was placed and hastily borne to the field hospital.  A surgeon examined him and found that while one bullet had gone through his left thigh, another had entered his breast just below his heart.  The former was supposed to be his only injury until the search revealed the other.  He lived but half an hour longer.

p. 387:

CHARLES B. GREENE. Charles Baker Greene, son of Benjamin Greene by his second wife, was born Jan. 24, 1842.  His middle name was given him in memory of his father's first wife.  His life was spent upon a farm and consequently was uneventful. When but a youth he united with the Second Seventh Day Baptist Church, of Hopkinton, R.I., of which he remained through life a faithful and consistent member.  He died of typhoid fever at Frederick, Md., Oct. 5, 1862.  His body was brought home and interred in the family lot in the First Hopkinton Cemetery.

p. 387:

ESEK GREENE.  Sergeant Esek Greene, fourth child of Asa and Keziah Durfee Greene, was born in Glocester, R.I., May 14, 1834.  At the time of his enlistment he was a jackspinner at Mapleville.  He says he well knew the Almighty had a mortgage on him, and if He saw fit to foreclose before he returned home all right. When discharged from service he located at Worcester, Mass., where he followed the carpenter's business.  Feb. 14, 1869, at Millbury, Mass., he married Jennie M. Farnum, of Vermont, who survives him with two children, Rinaldo E. Greene, of Nasonville, R.I., and Mrs. Jennie F. Grout, of No. 223 Garden Street, Pawtucket, R.I.   In 1891 he took up his abode in Providence, R.I., but seven years later removed to Pawtucket, where he carried on the fish and oyster business.  Sergeant Greene and William A. Baker carried Captain Wilbur off the field when wounded at Fredericksburg.  The sergeant with Lieutenant Moore was on detached service at the United States draft rendezvous at Grapevine Point, Fairhaven, now New Haven, Conn., from September, 1863, to June 20, 1865.  He left the regiment at Cincinnati, and never saw it again.  He died Feb. 7, 1901, at Pawtucket, R.I.

p. 345:

THOMAS GREENE. Captain Thomas Greene, son of Nathaniel Greene, and grandson of Abraham Greene, who was own cousin to the blacksmith Greene of Revolutionary fame, was born in North Kingstown, R.I., Nov. 23, 1812.  He worked on a farm until he was twenty years of age when he learned the carpenter's trade, subsequently carrying on that business until the outbreak of the Rebellion. Having already possessed himself of some military knowledge, he assisted in recruiting the First and Second Regiments of Infantry, and, when the Seventh was called for, he commenced to recruit for that also.  On July 16th he had secured thirty men for which he received his commission July 26th.  He was present in every engagement in which the regiment participated up to April 24, 1864, when he was discharged on a certificate of physical disability. For years after returning home, he was an invalid from the effects of the Mississippi climate and fever.  He busied himself with farming in a small way.  In July, 1895, he was thrown from his carriage and severely injured, residing at the time near Barrington, R.I.  Private Charles T. Greene of Company I, who was discharged March 27, 1863, because of wounds received the preceding December, was the captain's son.

p. 360 - 361:

JOSEPH GROVES. First Lieutenant Joseph Groves, son of Philip and Elizabeth Groves, was born in Glasgow, Scotland, Nov. 30, 1837.  He immigrated when eighteen years of age and learned the plumber's trade of his brother Robert in Providence, R.I.  He had three other brothers, John, Peter, and Philip, also five sisters, Margaret, Mary Ann, Katie, Belle and Joanna.  There were but three of the sisters living in 1894.

He was married three times.  By his first wife he had a daughter Josephine and a son Robert who married and was living in Woonsocket in 1894.  His second wife was childless.  This third, Mary Ronan, now resides with her son, Joseph Ronan Groves, at 1021 Green street, Selma, Alabama.  He died of a severe hemorrhage at Olneyville Jan. 17, 1880.  His remains were interred in St. Francis Cemetery.  The later years of his life he was a painter by trade.

p. 387:

STEPHEN A. HARRINGTON. Sergeant Stephen A. Harrington, the youngest of seven girls and six boys, children of Thomas and Rhoda Harrington, was born in Johnston, R.I., Sept. 12, 1837.  He lived at home with his parents until he enlisted, most of the time having been spent in school.  He married, but his wife is dead.  But one son, Allan Harrington, of Danielsonville, Conn., survives.  Mr. Harrington died in Scituate, R.I., April 6, 1889.

p. 388:

WILLIAM HARRINGTON. Sergeant William Harrington was born in Foster, R.I., May 6, 1842.  He lived with his grandparents until ten years of age.  Then he went to his parents' home and worked in a cotton mill until he was fifteen.  One brother labored there with him.  He died Aug. 31, 1863, at Camp Parke, near Camp Nelson, Ky.

p. 332 - 333:

JAMES HARRIS. Surgeon James Harris, son of Benjamin Cushing and Eliza Green Harris, was born at Providence, R. I., Feb. 23, 1827.  His early education was obtained at Hartshorn's preparatory school, from which he entered Brown University in 1843.  His parents, however, removed to New York City during the ensuing twelve months, so his attendance was naturally transferred to the University of New York, where he was graduated in 1847.  Later he studied medicine, attending two courses of lectures at the College of Physicians and Surgeons in that city, and later one at the Philadelphia College of Medicine and Surgery, receiving its diploma in 1852.  From December of that year to December, 1854, he resided at the Emigrant Hosptial, Ward's Island, as a member of its staff.  On the expiration of his term of service he at once went to the Crimea securing on the way a contract through which he received the rank of an army surgeon and a salary of 120 roubles per month in gold. He commenced work in the city of Sevastopol, March 22, 1855, remained there through three of its five bombardments, the first having occurred before his arrival and the last after his departure.  He received his dismissal on account of illness; he has been the victim of typhoid fever and was long convalesing.  In appreciation of his services, however, he subsequently received through the Russian minister at Washington the order of St. Stanistas Class III., and two medals, the Crimean (for the whole war) and that for the 'Siege of Sevastopol', to the worn with the ribbons of St. George and St. Andrew respectively.  The mortality of the American physicianw there was terrific; ten of the twenty of whom the doctor heard perished from disease, among whom was a Dr. Draper, of Providence, to whom he carried a note of introduction, but whom he found already dead.  The diseases to which they were exposed were typhoid fever, smallpox, and cholera, the latter being of a rapid type.  He says: 'I was not good for much when I reached home, but I got careful nursing from my dear old mother, and it was not long before I was in practice in St. Louis.'

When the Rebellion broke out he repaired at once to his native state, and was appointed assistant surgeon in the First Regiment Rhode Island Detached Militia.  As Dr. Harris was out for business and the First was but for three months, he secured an order from Colonel Burnside, then commanding the brigade, transferring him to the Second Rhode Island, and was told his commission would be forthcoming in due time.  He actually served on the staff of that regiment, and is so borne in the 'Revised Register of Rhode Island Volunteers'.  He was riding with Colonel Slocum not ten minutes before the latter received his mortal wound.  When the brigade, to its great surprise, was ordered to move to the rear, Dr. Harris decided, with a number of other surgeons, to remain at Sudley Church and care for the wounded. Consequently he was taken prisoner July 21, 1861, and sent to Richmond, where he was conditionally paroled (not to leave the city) August 13th. September 19th, he was fully paroled and afterward informally exchanged.  He was discharged as from the First Rhode Island September September 23d, the uncertainty attending the duration of his detention in Dixie causing the governor to fill his position in the Second with another.  A letter from the surgeon general's office, dated July 26, 1862, tendered him the charge of the Portsmouth Grove Hospital, but he preferred field service, and accepted a commission in the Seventh dated Aug. 18, 1862.  The intervening time he had spent in hospital work about Providence.

Soon after the regiment took the field he was detached therefrom, and served on brigade or other staff duty, though at one time he had charge of the corps hopsital.  He was medical inspector of the corps on Burnside's staff; surgeon-in-chief Second Division, Ninth Corps, from Oct. 19, 1864, until May 18, 1865, when he was made medical inspector of the corps.  He was mustered out June 9th.

In 1867 he went as surgeon on the 'Stonewall' to Japan, where he has 'lived for the most part ever since in quiet and simple enjoyment, though Japan has lost the glamour it had in 1868.  I have made two visits home, find there also change and most things strange and little to my taste.'  He retired from practice in 1890 and devotes his leisure to the study of anthropology.
He never married.

p. 388:

ORREN HARRIS. Sergeant Orren Harris, son of Jencks and Rachel Harris, was born in Smithfield, R.I., Sept. 26, 1809.  He lived on his father's farm until he became of age when he went to Providence and was clerk for the hotel known as the American House, on North Main Street, for a number of years.  During the gold fever of 1849 he went to California and labored as a miner for four or five years.  Returning home he assumed the management of the old Hoyle Hotel.  After his return from the war he resumed work at that ancient landmark as bartender for Palmer Dorrance and his successor, Ezra Wells.  He was struck by a train of cars while walking on the tracks between Pawtucket and Providence, and instantly killed in January, 1879.  He had married Sophie O., daughter of Daniel and Mary Mathewson, of Johnston, by whom he had two sons, Rollin Mathewson and Daniel Jencks.

p. 367:

CYRUS B. HATHAWAY. Second Lieutenant Cyrus B. Hathaway was born in May, 1832.  His mother was left a widow when he was very young, but she managed to educate him in the best schools of Pawtucket.  Subsequently he learned the jeweler's trade, and when the North was called to arms he went forth as a private in Company E of the First Rhode Island.  On resigning from Comppany D, Jan. 13, 1863, he re-entered the jewelry business.  At the time of his death which occurred in Seekonk, Mass., Dec. 10, 1879, of pneumonia, he was the senior member of the firm of Hathaway & Carter, jewelers, Pawtucket.  He was a modest, unassuming officer.

p. 36:

CHARLES T. HEALEY. Second Lieutenant Charles T. Healey, oldest son of Bartholomew and Mary Brown Healey, was born on Kingston Street near the corner of Bedford Street, Boston, Mass., Nov. 17, 1835.  The family remained there until he was six years old when it removed to South Boston, where he attended the public schools, graduating from the Mather School when fifteen years of age.  His occupation prior to the outbreak of the Rebellion was that of an engineer. Jan. 31, 1860, he married Katherine Aloysia Riley, who was born in Boston, Oct. 29, 1840.  Soon after himself and wife opened a millinery and choice feather business at No. 208 Hanover Street.  In 1884 it was removed to No. 100 on the same street, and was there located at the time of his death.  He was residing then on Chandler Street, West Somerville.  For two years he suffered from slowing increasing paralysis which terminated in a shock July 10, 1885, from which he died two days later.  His remains were interred at Mount Hope.  He was a member of Post 1, Grand Army of the Republic.  It is not known how he became interested in the Seventh, but he opened a recruiting office for that regiment on Dock Square and supplied a number of recruits, including Lieut. James F. Merrill.

Mrs. Healey subsequently became Mrs. C. A. Belford.

p. 388:

CHARLES E. HILL. Sergeant Charles E. Hill was born in England Jan. 21, 1835, and came to America in 1856.  He enlisted in Scituate Aug. 8, 1862, and served with his company until Aug. 8, 1864, when he was discharged to accept a commission in the One Hundred and Nineteenth United States Colored Infantry, which he joined at Paducah.  For many years he has resided in Chicago, Ill.

p. 361:

WILLIAM HILL. First Lieutenant William Hill, son of Jerah and Amy Whipple Hill, was born in Foster, R.I., July 22, 1838.  Quite early in life he repaired to Providence and learned the carpenter's trade.  Aug. 24, 1856, he married Eliza Wood, who preceded him to the spirit world a little more than a year. He was mustered as first lieutenant of Company B, but the excitement of army life proved greater than he could bear and epilepsy speedily supervened.  In less than eight weeks, Oct. 26, 1862, at Pleasant Valley, Md., he resigned and was honorably discharged.  He returned at once to Providence where, on Manton Avenue, he spent most of his life, though for a brief season, about 1890, he made his home in Malden, Mass.   He died Nov. 6, 1900.  His remains were interred in Pocasset Cemetery.  A son, William Henry Hill, of Olneyville, R..I., and a daughter, Lilian Creed, of Pawtucket, R.I., survive him.

p. 388:

JOSEPH H. HOLBROOK. Joseph Henry Holbrook, son of Joseph and Mary Ann Staples Holbrook, was born in Johnston, R.I., July 26, 1842.  He received a common school education. He lived at home on a farm in Glocester, R.I., until he enlisted.  He had two sisters, only one of whom is living, Mrs. Phebe A. Phillips, of Allendale, North Providence, R.I.  The mother, now nearly eighty years old, resides with her.  He died in Mississippi July 21, 1863, about the time the regiment recrossed the Big Black River on its return to Milldale from Jackson.

p. 388:

FRANCIS B. HOLLAND. Francis B. Holland, son of Daniel and Frances Crumb Holland, was born in Voluntown, Conn., Sept. 6, 1844.  His mother died at that time.  He became a resident of Peacedale, R.I., prior to the Rebellion.  He married Julia Armstrong, a native of South Kingstown, Feb. 17, 1867.  They have two daughters and three sons.  He is by trade a carpenter.

p. 430:

EBEN HOLLIS. Eben Hollis, son of Taber and Elizabeth Brown Hollis, was born in Warwick, R.I., March 12, 1835, and was consequently older at the time of his enlistment, than most of his comrades in Co. F.  He was of a quiet disposition, but had plenty of that quality popularly known as 'sand', and was considered a good soldier by his comrades.

His hearing was permanently impaired by the bursting of a shell near the mine at Petersbug, although he continued in service till the regiment  was mustered out.  He enlisted from North Kingstown, and, on being discharged, returned to that town, where he resided continuously till his death which occurred since most of the matter in this work was in type, on Dec. 5, 1902. On the completion of the Wickford Branch Railroad, he was employed by the Newport and Wickford Steamboat and Railroad Company for a period of twenty-two years.  During the last five or six years of his life, he was in a feeble state of health and unable to pursue any active vocation.

Sept. 12, 1853, he was married to Waity Gardiner, of North Kingstown, daughter of James Gardiner, who, with their two daughters, survive him.

He became a member of Charles C. Baker Post, No. 16, Dept. of R.I., Grand Army of the Republic, soon after its organization and always took a lively interest in all that pertained to the veteran soldiers.

p. 388 - 390:

CHARLES W. HOPKINS. Charles Wyman Hopkins, son of Pardon and Lydia Ann Lillibridge Hopkins, was born in Exeter, R.I., Aug. 8, 1839.  His ancestors were early settlers of Rhode Island and active in the establishment of national independence.  He was educated in the common schools, and at East Greenwich Seminary.  In early life he worked with his father at the carpenter's trade and assisted him in his duties as town clerk of West Greenwixh, their residence being at Noose Neck Village.

He taught school a number of years and was teaching the village school at Noose Neck at the time of his enlistment.  One of his pupils, Chester Lewis Franklin, a fine young man, enlisted with him and was fatally wounded at North Anna.

He enlisted as a musician Aug. 14, 1862.  The training and leadership of the musicians at Camp Bliss was at first entrusted to Samuel D. Spink, of Providence, a man well qualified for the purpose.  After a short time, by his direction, it was transferred to Hopkins, who served in that capacity until detailed for duty at headquarters.  At dress parade, Camp Casey, Arlington Heights, Va., Sept. 19, 1862, the adjutant announced that in compliance with orders of Colonel Bliss, Charles W. Hopkins should have command of the band of the regiment and drill them.  The band at that time was composed of fifteen members and was said to be the best in the brigade. September 25th, the band of the One Hundred and Twenty-third New York applied for instruction which was given them.

He served at various times as regimental and brigade clerk; was appointed chief clerk of the commissary department of the First Brigade and as such had charge of issuing rations to its several organizations; also was responsible for money received from sales to officers, often amounting to large sums, which, for security at night, he would place between himself and the ground.  He was offered promotion in his regiment, but a fine saddle horse and other advantages which his position afforded, caused him to decline.  On the march from Pleasant Valley, Md., to Fredericksburg, he was taken sick with cold and fever, and, after a week or more of transportation in ambulances over the extremely rough roads of that region, was finally sent with others to Georgetown, where he arrived Nov. 18, 1862, and, after a delay of hours in a cold storm, was assigned to the College Hospital at that place.  While there he was treated successively for typhoid fever, measles, and diphtheria.  His final recovery, however, was largely due to the faithful administrations of his nurse, Miss Phebe A. Miller, of Franklin, N.Y., formerly a teacher, whose unwearied attention and kindness to himself and others placed in her care he gratefully acknowledges and desires to place on record.  She has doubtless passed on beyond, where no words of commendation from him can reach.  A notable event at the hospital was the arrival of the wounded from Fredericksburg after hours of exposure, chilled and suffering.  After having sufficiently recovered, he was given a leave of absence, Feb. 2, 1863, and returned home for rest and recuperation.  March 11th he reported at Armory Square Hospital, Washington, where he was detained for a few days, and, later, March 23d, rejoined his regiment near Fortress Monroe.  From this time on he participated in all the campaigns in which the regiment was engaged.

During its occupation of Lexington, Ky., he served as clerk at the provost marshal's office at that place.  The city being under martial law all offenders were promptly haled before Captain A. M. Channell, the imcumbent of that office, and often during his absence the clerk officiated as both judge and jury.

Many and various were the incidents which occurred during the months of our sojourn in that city.  The fine orchards in the suburbs which were under the protection of our guards furnished a bountiful supply of the most luscious peaches, grapes and other fruits.  The impressment of a large number of negroes for work on a military railroad caused a ripple of excitement as no distinction was made in their selection.  Furthermore, they knew not for what they were destined.  The result at times was startling and sometimes amusing.  Another event was the arrival of several hundred refugees from Tennessee, men, women, and children destitute of the means of subsistence. On one occation, when several paymasters on their way to the West stopped over night at Lexington, leaving their treasure, said to amount to several millions in greenbacks in a number of portable iron safes at the office for safe keeping, he remained over night with the guard to watch them.  A quantity of rebel correspondence which had been captured found its resting place in the office, a selection of which came into his possession.  A sample appears at the close of this sketch.  One day, a fine looking man with but a slight trace of his African descent came into the office and related his pitiful story; his master had become offended with him and had sold his wife and child to be taken far away.  He did not know just where, but to some plantation he imagined down the Mississippi.  Hopelessly, a letter was written as the poor man dictated, and many times with tearful yeys he called at the office for a reply which never came.  All that remained to him of his family was his baby's shoe which he carried in his pocket.  His offence was working for a Union officer.  At another time a large number of men who had straggled from their regiments were sent to Louisville, Ky., under guard in his charge.  At Petersburg, while the Pennsylvania regiment was tunnelling the mine, he had the rare experience of entering it and hearing the unsuspecting enemy in the fort some twenty or thirty feet overhead at work.

During the last week of the war at Farnville, Va., the commissary of the First Brigade being the post commissary, he had charge of issuing rations to the whole Northern army stationed there and to the Southern soldiers as they were paroled and given requisitions for rations.  Many of them were fine looking men, especially officers in their gray uniforms, who, one and all, denounced the murder of President Lincoln.

The campaign in Mississippi so completely debilitated him, that, after returning North, under the advice of the regimental physician, Dr. Sprague, he was obliged to start for home at once, but a few days before the return of the regiment.  A long-lingering illness was the result.  When sufficiently recovered he purchased the village store at Noose Neck, was appointed postmaster and there remained until 1869, when he removed to Providence.  Later he had charge of the A. & W. Sprague store at Central Falls until their failure, since which time and from March 12, 1874, he has been in the employ of the Providence Gas Company, a period of twenty-eight years as paymaster, cashier, and clerk.  He is a member of Rodman Post, No. 12, Grand Army of the Republic, Providence, R.I.

He was apointed secretary of the Seventh Rhode Island Veteran Association, Oct. 8, 1890.  He is a member of the historical committee and also of the publications committee.

He married May 1, 1860, Jane Frances Knight, daughter of Rev. Daniel R. Knight, of Exeter, R.I.  Their only child, Anne Miller, is the wife of Dr. George S. Mathews, of Providence, their residence being No. 417 Cranston Street, Providence, R.I.

<facing page:  Portrait of C. W. Hopkins, followed by sketch and portrait of William Palmer Hopkins.>

p. 391 - 392:

WILLIAM P. HOPKINS. William Palmer Hopkins, son of Pardon and Phoebe Ann Palmer Hopkins, was born at Nooseneck, West Greenwich, R.I., July 10, 1845.  He is a descendant of the ninth generation from Walter Palmer, of Nottinghamshire, England, who came over in John Endicott's great expedition of six ships loaded with freemen to settle on the Western continent.  This occurred in 1629.  Walter at first settled in Charlestown, Mass., but in 1643 moved to Seekonk, Mass., and, in 1663, to Pawcatuck, now Stonington, Conn., being one of the first settlers of that town.  He was appointed constable in 1658, being six feet seven inches high and weighing over 300 pounds in his homespun stockings. Incidentally it may be mentioned one Ulysses S. Grant was also a descendant of the ninth generation from said Walter Palmer.  William attended the village school, but also acquired a varied mechanical training afforded by the carriage and carpenter business conducted by his father.  His mother died of consumption Feb. 13, 1857, in the thirty-fourth year of her age.  He remained at school, however, until secession came.  On the first anniversary of the battle of Bull Run, July 21, 1862, he went to Providence and enlisted at Chester Turner's recruiting office on the second floor of Harrington's Opera House building on Washington Street front and nearly opposite the Aldrich House (hotel).  In due course of time he was registered at Camp Bliss in Cranston.  Later he was assigned to Company D, but when the veterans and the recruits of the Fourth Regiment Rhode Island Volunteers were united with the Seventh that company was absorbed by Company I Feb. 1, 1865.  He was with the regiment during its entire term save when absent on a thirty days' furlough from Feb. 7 to March 9, 1864, the command being then stationed at Point Isabella, later called Point Burnside, on the Cumberland River, Kentucky.  He was mustered out with the survivors of the regiment June 9, 1865, at Alexandria, Va., and, upon its arrival in Providence, was honorably discharged.

For three years after the war, he lived in Providence, R.I., but was sent in 1868 as the representative of a Providence house to the mills at Lawrence, Mass., where he has since resided.  His employment has generally been of a mechanical character; an experimenter, demonstrator, and constructor of new machines and devices.  From 1875 to 1898 he was in the employ of the McKay Shoe Sewing Machine Association at Lawrence, which subsequently became the Stanley Manufacturing Company.  During this time he became the patentee of a number of inventions.  More recently he has been employed by the Reece Button Hole Machine Company, of Boston, Mass.   On Sept. 27, 1875, he married at Lawrence Anna Sophila, daughter of William H. and Eleanor Burnham Chase, of Lubec, Me.  He is a member of the General Lawton Post, Civil War Veterans of Lawrence, and is a trustee thereof.  When the Rhode Island Adjutant General's Report of 1865 was revised and reprinted in 1892 his services were sought by Adjt.-Gen. Elisha Dyer (since governor) as reviewer of the section relating to the Seventh Regiment, for which service he received the general's thanks.  On Dec. 22, 1900, he was appointed by Governor Gregory a commissioner to visit the Vicksburg National Military Park to locate and establish the position of the Rhode Island troops at the siege of that city.  With Maj. Ethan A. Jencks, Vicksburg was visited in January, 1901.  As the latter died soon after his return Mr. Hopkins prepared the report of the commission and presented it to Gov. Charles D. Kimball, Goveror Gregory having died in office.

His interest in his former comrades is attested not only by the unfailing regularity with which he has attended the association's reunions summer and winter, but especially by this volume, the colleciton of whose subject matter has required years of persistent labor, travel of thousands of miles, a correspondence covering every portion of this country, and an intimate personal acquaintance with every surviving member of the command.  He is recognized aurthority on all matter pertaining to the history of the Seventh Rhode Island.

<facing page:  portrait of William P. Hopkins>

p. 334:

Harris HOWARD. Chaplain Harris Howard it is been found impossible accurately to trace.  He was discharged from the National Soldiers' Home, Togus, Me., March 20, 1890. It is there recorded his nearest friend was Mrs. S. E. Ingalls, Belvidere, Ill.  A letter to her address was returned.  The city clerk of that city believes (Sept. 5, 1900,) him to be he who came there about 1840 with his father Deacon Tinker, and was named Harris H. Tinker.  There was a brother, John B. Tinker, who removed several years ago, possibly to Iowa.  There were two sisters, both now deceased.  If, he, indeed, was Harris H. Tinker, evidently he believed his surname to be too trifling for the cloth.  A letter from Mrs. J. B. Tinker, dated Kansas City, Mo., Oct. 3, 1900, states that 'Father Tinker was striken with paralysis Sept. 16, 1899.  He cannot see to read your letter, and he is so deaf we cannot talk to him enough to make him understand what you want to know.'

p. 345 - 346:

EDWARD L. HUNT. Captain Edward Livingston Hunt, son of Livingston and Eliza Carpenter Hunt, was born at 'Hunt's Mills', Seekonk, Mass., but now East Providence, R.I., Feb. 22, 1835.  He had two sisters and two brothers, William Henry Hunt, who served in the First Rhode Island Cavalry from the beginning to the end of its existence, and J. Newton Hunt, of Battery F, Eleventh, and Second Rhode Island Volunteers.

Young Hunt enlisted as private in Company I, Aug. 18, 1862, was mustered in September 6th, promoted second lieutenant of same October 24th, and, in January, 1863, was in command of it.  March 1st he was commissioned first lieutenant of same, and May 3, 1864, its captain, but was not mustered as such until November 1st.  He was transferred to Company E by order dated Oct. 21, 1864.  He is borne on the rolls as responsible for Company C, Fourth Rhode Island Vounteers, during the months of October, November, and December, 1864, and January, 1865, and for Company D, Seventh Rhode Island Vounteers, during February and March.

On the arrival of the regiment at Cincinnati from its Vicksburg campaign, Lieutenant Hunt received a sick leave of absence for thirty days, which was subsequently extended fifteen days.  He rejoined his command at Lexington, Ky., but was informed he was on detached duty as assistant provost marshal, and directred to report to Capt. A. M. Channell, provost marshal.  He remained in that position until Dec. 24, 1863, when he was relieved by Lieut. E. T. Allen.  That very day the regiment started on its severe march to Point Burnside, and, consequently, he shared in its hardships with his men.  For a number of days succeeding Jan. 20, 1864, he discharged the duties of post adjutant during the absence of the regular imcument of that position.  January 30th he accompanied a working party sent out to repair the roads toward Knoxville.  He returned north with his regiment and corps and participated in the battles of the Wilderness, Spottsylvania, North Anna River, and Cold Harbor, where he received a sunstroke, and whence he was sent first to Fredericksburg and next to Annapolis.  When convalescent, by order of the War Department he was appointed assistant provost marshal of that city, but was relieved in time to take part in the battle of Poplar Spring Church September 30th.  With the exception of a brief leave of absence (until May 15, 1865,) granted on account of a wound received at Petersburg, April 2d, Captain Hunt continued with the regiment until its final muster out.

Subsequent to the close of the Rebellion, and for many years, Captain Hunt served on the police force of the City of Providence.  Later he was engaged in the insurance business, and still later for fifteen years he was associated with the Inman Brothers, civil engineers and contractors, 27 Thames Street, New York City.

p. 393:

JOHN K. HULL. Sergeant John Knowles Hull, son of Benjamin and Roby Knowles Hull, was born in South Kingstown June 9, 1841.  He attended school there during his boyhood and afterward took a course in the Normal School, then located at Bristol.  He taught successfully in Portsmouth, Block Island, and his native town, where he was engaged at the time of his enlistment.  He was killed early in the morning of July 13, 1863, before Jackson, Miss., while on picket.  He was relieving Sergeant Tisdale of the Thirty-fifth Massachusetts, who had been stationed at a tree in advance of the line of battle.  The bullet first struck Tisdale's musket passing between the ramrod and the barrel and shattering the wooden stock.  It then passed through Hull's chest, from front to back.  The former lost the musket, which naturally he prized highly, when he was taken prisoner at the Pegram house Sept. 30, 1864.  Two sisters survive Sergeant Hull, two brothers had gone before.

p. 393:

BENJAMIN S. HUNT. Benjamin Schofield Hunt, son of Benjamin D. and Elizabeth Schofield Hunt, was born in North Kingstown March 29, 1845.  His life was spent on the homestead farm until he enlisted.  A number of his relatives and friends were going, and naturally he desired to see the world and enjoy a change from farm life.  He was killed at Fredericksburg Dec. 13, 1862.

p. 361:

GEORGE B. INMAN. First Lieutenant George B. Inman was born in Burrillville, R.I., March 18, 1843.  He attended school winters in the proverbial little country district schoolhouse until he was sixteen years of age, when he commenced teaching. Later he attended the State Normal School, then at Bristol, until he connected himself with this regiment.  He served with the ambulance corps from Oct. 15, 1862, until December, when, on the 28th, he was discharged on tender of resignation.  Returning home he completed his normal course and taught for several years, meanwhile studying civil and hydraulic engineering.  He then associated himself in New York with his brother Williard F. under the style of Inman Bros. as engineers and water works contractors.  The firm has built many works in different sections of the country besides planning many water and gas works, reservoirs, railroads, etc., in whose construction they had no part.  From 1888 to 1893 he was in England selling water and gas bonds.  From 1872 to 1875 he was captain of Company A, Providence Horse Guards; a little later he was major on the staff of General Husted, of New York, and in 1881-2 he was colonel on the staff of General Cornell, of Kansas, at a time when he was building water works and gas works all over that state and Wisconsin.  He was a member of Slocum Post, No. 10, Grand Army of the Republic, of Providence, R.I.  In 1870 he married Nellie R. Kent, of Providence, R.I.   They have no children.

p. 393:

ALONZO L. JENKS. Orderly Sergeant Alonzo L. Jenks, son of Nathan C. Jenks, was born in Central Falls, R.I., Sept. 15, 1844.  When twelve months old his parents removed to Providence, R.I., where his education was secured in the public schools.  When of sufficient age his father required his assistance in the management of a livery stable, of which he was proprietor.  In the spring of 1861 Mr. Jenks purchased a farm in Cranston and there the family resided when Alonzo enlisted.  When discharged from the service he secured a situation with a grain dealer with whom he lived.  His evenings, however, were spent at Bryant and Stratton's Commercial College for an entire year. Then upon the invitiation of his uncle, he became bookkeeper of the Fales and Jenks Machine Company, of Pawtucket.  After some years he contracted the Western fever, and, disposing of what real estate he was possessed of in Rhode Island, took his wife and infant child to Los Angeles, Cal. There his wife became an invalid, finally necessitating his bringing her remains to his native state for interment.  When last heard from he was the wholesale agent of a Massachusetts whip manufacturing company at Denver, Col., though subsequently it was reliably reported that he had removed to Butte, Montana.

p. 346 - 347:

ETHAN A. JENKS. Captain and Brevet Major Ethan Amos Jenks, son of William A. and Hannah Phillips Jenks, was born in Plainfield, Conn., May 30, 1827.  Both his grandfathers Amos Jenks and Col. Israel Phillips, of Foster, R.I., were natives of Rhode Island.  When but a year old his parents recrossed the border, and, as soon as he was was of sufficient age, he attended the district school three or four months in each year, until nearly seventeen. He was employed almost wholly upon his father's farm until that father's death in 1859, when he assumed its care and continued it until the opening of the war.  He at once volunteered in Company K, First Regiment Rhode Island Detached Militia, and was mustered out at the expiration of its term of service in 1862.  It was his intention to re-enlist in the Fourth Regiment Rhode Island Volunteers, but he was suffering from a lingering disease that continued until the spring of 1862.  His next opportunity was with the Seventh.  As second lieutenant of Company H he was less noticeable than some of the other officers, but he was anxious to learn all the practical warfare essential to the proper discharge of duties pertaining to his branch of service.  It soon became evident to many that sterling patriotism was the controlling motive of his life.  He was quiet, pure, and simple.  Little did the men think that the comparatively old and somewhat uncouth subaltern, who had spent almost his entire life upon a farm, would become one of the best, bravest, and most conspicuous of their officers, a firm friend to each man; that his integrity and his keen sense of honor would be so often tested and always unfailingly, even at critical junctures, that he could ever be relied upon under all circumstances, and that his reputation to the close of life would remain in every particular, absolutely untarnished.  And yet, such today is the glad testimony of those who had ample opportunity to observe him and to weigh him.

In January, 1863, we find him in command of a company, but it was not until March 3d that he received his commission and was mustered as captain of Company I.  June 29, 1864, he received a major's commission and was borne on the rolls as awaiting muster thereon until he was mustered out.  Ten days prior to its date he was slightly wounded in the shoulder blade while superintending the digging of rifle pits in a ravine across (west of) the Norfolk and Petersburg Railroad, a little to the left of the place where the regiment was accustomed to cross when it passed to and from the main front line, held near the subsequent mine.  The night was very dark, the rebel firing was desultory, the blow was sidewise and very light.  He was conversing with Sergt. William H. Johnson at the time; the hour was between ten p.m. and one a.m., on the 20th.  He was absent fifteen days with leave from Jan. 27, 1865, and again in March as a member of a general court-martial.  He was made brevet major of volunteers to date from April 2, 1865, for gallant and meritorous conduct before Petersburg, Va.  June 9th he was mustered out.

At various times Major Jenks was in command of the regiment, and at important and critical periods, but he always enjoyed the full confidence of all.  They recognized the fact that unflinching devotion to duty was his prominent characteristic, and yet he was careful and considerate of the interests of others and of the sensibilities of those placed under his command.  He was always foremost in the hour of danger and conflict. Indeed, he once remarked to Colonel Bliss that he did not like the dress parade business, but he was just the man for a fight.  The survivors have testified to their appreciation of his worth by annually re-electing him president of their veteran association from the death of Major Joyce until Aug. 22, 1893, when he positively refused to served longer.

After the war Major Jenks completed a course in law and was admitted to the Rhode Island bar.  Later he was made a deputy collector in internal revenue in the Providence office, but the position was discontinued Jan. 1, 1894.

In January, 1901, Major Jenks and William P. Hopkins were appointed by Governor Gregory, pursuant to a resolution of the General Assembly passed in May, 1900, commissioners to fix the position occupied by the Rhode Island troops at the siege of Vicksburg.  That very month they visited the scene of their former hardships, only to be royally served, and there promptly discharged the duties assigned them.  On the ensuing thirteenth of May Major Jenks passed from earth in a sudden attack of angina pectoris, lacking but seventeen days of completing his seventy-fourth year.  His funeral was solemnized at his late home on Central Pike, Johnston, Thursday, May 17th. The bearers were Hon. Henry J. Spooner, Hon. Daniel R. Ballou, Maj. James T. P. Bucklin, and Charles W. Hopkins, all of Rodman Post, No. 12, Grand Army of the Republic, of which he was a member at the time of his decease.  Among those in attendance were Post Department Commanders Brevet Brig.-Gen. Charles R. Brayton, Capt. Walter A. Read, Lieut. Charles C. Gray, and Lieut. Charles H. Williams.  Floral pieces were sent by Rodman Post, General Brayton, and others.  The regimental veteran association acted as guard of honor at the house and at Pocasset Cemetery, where his remains were entombed.

Major Jenks was twice married.  His second wife, who survives him, is a daughter of the late Asa Tourtellot, of Johnston.

p. 361 - 362:

WILLIAM H. JOHNSON. First Lieutenant William Henry Johnson, son of William Swan and Mary Mowry Johnson, was born in Worcester, Mass., Jan. 19, 1835.  When seven years of age his parents removed to Lowell, where he attended the public schools six years.  The next two he spent at the Nashua, N. H., Academy.  Next he was apprenticed to the printer's trade, which he practiced, after fulfilling his time, a year at Keene, N.H., and a second at Buffalo, N.Y., whence he repaired to Boston where he settled for life.  Chancing to spend a few days in Newport, R.I., in the summer of 1862, he met Thomas C. Brownell who was recruiting for the Seventh, and was induced by him to enlist in Company I. He was soon made a corporal, and, in May, 1863, a sergeant.  Jan. 29, 1864, he was transferred to Comapny D with the rank of first sergeant, and as such was in command thereof until August, two of the commissioned officers being absent on detached duty, and one a prisoner of war.  This period covered the eventful campaign from the Wilderness to Petersburg, during which every man in the company did his full duty on all occasions.  July 25th he was commissioned second lieutenant, but never mustered as such.  October 26th he was mustered as first lieutenant and was assigned to Company E, which he commanded from January, 1865, to May.  He was mustered out with the regiment.  He participated in all the battles in which the Seventh was engaged.

At the close of the war Lieutenant Johnson returned to Boston and resumed his former occupation.  Since 1868 he has been employed by the 'Boston Transcript'  Sept. 21, 1878, he married Susie Ellen, daughter of Joseph Follansbee and Sarah Whitmore Flanders, of Newburyport, Mass., but the ceremony took place at Wilmington, Mass.  She survives him.  He died at his summer home in Bennington, Vt., from a carbuncle on the neck, June 10, 1898. He was a member of William H. Smart Post, No. 35, Grand Army of the Republic, of Cambridge, Mass.

'He had no enemies'.

The full page portrait of Lieutenant Johnson herein contained was provided by his fellow employees of the 'Transcript' office as a slight token of their love and esteem."

<facing page:  portrait of William H. Johnson>

p. 393:

BENJAMIN F. JOSLIN. Benjamin F. Joslin's sketch could not be secured.  The following trifling incident, however, well illustrates the character of the man.  Immediately after being relieved from a position where for several hours he had been exposed to a severe cross fire from the enemy's rifles, he was congratulated upon his escape without injury and complimented for his presence of mind under such a withering blast.  'Yes.' he quickly stuttered, 'but I was more interested in absence of body just about that time.'

p. 347 - 349:

WILLIAM H. JOYCE. Captain William Howard Joyce, son of Capt. John and Emily Joyce, was born at Brookeborough, near Enniskillen, County Fermanagh, Ireland, July 24, 1825. He was educated in the best private schools of the place whence he graduated from one ranking with our high schools at the age of sixteen.  Then a private tutor was engaged to prepare him for college with the ultimate purpose of taking orders in the Church of England, but after six months journeying in that direction he decided  he did not like the road, so he went to Dublin and was clerk in the dry goods store of Todd, Burns & Co., until he was twenty-one.  He next sought his fortune in the New World.  On arriving in New York City he met Richard Davis, a dry goods merchant of Providence, R.I., who induced him to enter his employ in that city.  In 1859 he received a more favorable offer from Thomas Cosgrove, for long years a popular storekeeper in the Arcade, and remained with him until the outbreak of the war.

In response to the first call for troops Mr. Joyce enlisted in Capt. William W. Brown's company of the First Rhode Island Detached Militia, and creditably acquitted himself during its three months of service. Subsequently he recruited a company for the Seventh, and was mustered as first lieutenant, Company D, Sept. 4, 1862.  On Jan. 7, 1863, he was commissioned captain of Company F.  In July, 1865, he was 'promoted major for gallant and meritorious service during the war,' but was not mustered in.  The following items from his army life are characteristic of the man, though of themselves trifling:

One comrade writes that Major Joyce could at any time display a spotless white collar, polished boots, and a carefully brushed uniform, the quickest of any man in the command, not excepting the colonel, though Captain Potter was a close second.  I well remember his comments under trying circumstances.  Some of them might not look well in print, but he put a good deal of life into the camp experience of the men, and no one was more favorably known by them.  Captain Allen reports this exhibition of his wit at an hour when some other men lose theirs: 'At Jackson, Mississippi, July 13, 1863, when the enemy were shelling us pretty lively, Major Joyce came up the hill, to where my company (A) was catching it in good shape (being on the right and in full view of the enemy), for the purpose of ascertaining how we were getting on.  I remonstrated with him and advised him to go back to his company as he might get hit.  Major Joyce replied, "All right; I don't want to be a dead hero, had rather be a live coward," and stood there talking half an hour longer.  There was no fear in him.'  Captain Allen continues, 'What a dapper fellow he was.  Even then he had on a new paper collar and his boots were polished.'

On re-entering civil life his first hree years were spent with Maj. Z. C. Rennie in the pension business.  Aug. 8, 1870, he was commissioned internal revenue storekeeper, and, on July 25, 1871, inspector in the custom house, which position he retained nine years.  Then he resumed the pension business on his own account, continuing therein until his death, except the year in which Grover Cleveland was elected President for the first time.  The 'Evening Telegram', then owned by David O. Black, had become sadly run down. Mr. Joyce had occasionally contributed to its editorial articles.  One day the proprietor met him and told him he must take charge of that paper, practically permitting him to set his own terms.  After thirty-six or forty-eight hours of deliberation, Mr. Joyce accepted its care, and, ere, long, placed it in a position of such weight and power, that its utterances were quoted and its opinions heeded.  At the end of a year, however, he retired from journalism as a profession forever, though still contributing to the daily press as fancy, or topics of public importance impelled.

Major Joyce died on apoplexy May 6, 1890, but he had been an invalid for quite a long time.  The funeral was solemnized at the Trinity Methodist Episcopal Church, and was attended by representatives of both the veteran associations with which he was connected and of Rodman Post, No. 12, Grand Army of the Republic, of which he was a member.  He was made a Mason in Good Samaritan Lodge of Kentucky, Grand Master McCulloch of that state officiating, at the same time Dr. Sprague joined the fraternity, but never affiliated with the craft here.  For two years he was a member of Olive Branch Temple of Honor.  As best proof of the estimation in which he was held by those who thoroughly knew him, it should here be recorded that he was elected president of the Seventh Rhode Island Veteran Association upon its organization and continued in that position during life.

The following notice is one of the many given by the press throughout the country at the time of his death:

He was a Providence Journalist and Independant Republican. Providence, R.I., May 7.  - Major William H. Joyce, at one time editor of the 'Telegram', of this city, died last night of hemorrhage of the brain at his residence on Bridgham Street.  Major Joyce was for a number of years connected with the United States Custom House of this district; after leaving the government service he resumed his practice as pension attorney. He was stricken with illness about a year ago, and ten days ago had a third shock that compelled his retirement to the bed.

As editor of the 'Telegram' Major Joyce was a fearless and independant writer, and an exponent of the equal rights and suffrage extension advocated so many years by the Democracy of Rhode Island, and finally with such signal success.  The journalistic as well as the legal fraternity loses a brilliant mind by the death of Major Joyce.'

April 23, 1861, Mr. Joyce married Margaret Frances, daughter of James Archibald and Anna McArthur Donald, by whom he had five sons and one daughter.  All survive him save a son that died in infancy.  His remained were interred at Riverside Cemetery, Pawtucket, which adjoins Swan Point Cemetery, Providence."

<facing page:  portrait of Major William H. Joyce>

p. 394:

JEAN A. A. JOYEAUX. Jean Antoine Auguste Joyeaux was born of a good family among the Alps, near Grenoble, Sept. 25, 1835.  His education was obtained at that city and at Paris, where he graduated at the age of eighteen.  He taught three years and then joined his regiment, the Nineteenth Infantry, in 1856.  With it he participated in the Italian War and was present at the battle of Solferino. Thereafter his duty was entirely garrison until he left his native land to fight in America.  Reaching New York at Christmas, 1862, he accompanied Mr. and Mrs. Hazard of Peacedale, R.I., where he was manufacturing army blankets.  Mrs. Hazard returned to France in September, 1863, when Joyeaux went to Providence where he met Lieutenant Weigand, by whom he was enlisted in the Seventh.  He left Providence with the lieutenant and five other recruits for Lexington, Ky., where the regiment was then stationed, but he alone accompanied the officer to their destination.  He was assigned to Company E, where he had for a messmate Corp. Philip Prue, a Canadian.

Joyeux became at once a conspicuous figure about camp, for he was an expert swordsman, and soon was giving lessons to Colonel Bliss and the other officers, hence he was generally called 'Professor'.  As often as these fencing exercises took place a large audience assembled to witness them. Whenever his foil went home the boys all shouted: 'Hurrah for the Zou Zou', for he frequently sang the French song 'Le Zou Zou'.  On the march toward Point Burnside in 1863 he took a severe cold the night the regiment reached Camp Nelson.  Accordingly he was left in the hospital there where he was seriously ill two months.  Then he was made clerk at post headquarters and thus occupied when the Ninth Corps came North.  He subsequently joined the regiment at Alexandria.  At Spottsylvania , May 12th, he was wounded about two p.m.  The bullet struck the ring finger and the little finger of the left hand, then followed the musket barrel scratching the forefinger of the right hand.  He could not speak English very well, but when the bullet struck him he exclaimed: 'I'd rather have been killed in the French army than lose two fingers in the American army!'   He was at once sent back to Alexandria.  During Early's raid on Washington Joyeaux was returned to the regiment, but a few days later he was sent back to the hospital where he remained until the muster out of the command.  From 1865 to 1869 he taught his native language at the Caldwell Institutue, Danville, Ky.; the next seven years at Univerity Institute, Lexington, Ky.; three years at the Young Ladies' College, Memphis, Tenn.; since 1890 at Chattanooga, Tenn.  The 'Professor' married in Cincinnati, Ohio, Lollie Alice Adams, of Georgetown, Ky.  They have three children, Marie, Lila, and Henry.  The family resides in Lexington on account of his father-in-law, who passes his summers there.

7th Regiment Continued

These documents are made available free to the public for non-commercial purposes by the Rhode Island USGenWeb Project. Transcribed 2000 by Beth Hurd
MailIf you have a (pre-1922) contribution from a Rhode Island book or newspaper you would like to share, please send me an e-mail with the publication title, author, and publisher. Thanks.