This section contains articles of genealogical and historic interest on Rhode Island in general, from old Rhode Island books and newspapers.
Biographical sketches, "Town of Smithfield"
p. 500: Alfred M. ALDRICH is a son of Olney and grandson of Samuel. Olney Aldrich married Catharine Mann. They had three sons and two daughters. Alfred M., the eldest child, married Annie F., daughter of William Colwell. They have four children: Stella F., Lucy M., Annie M. and Austin W. Mr. Aldrich was born in Smithfield in 1829, and was married in 1853.
p. 500-1: Augustus M. ALDRICH, born in Smithfield January 11th, 1832, is a descendant of George Aldrich, who came to this country from England in 1631. He had a son Jacob, born in 1652, he a son Moses, born in 1691, he a son Caleb, born in 1725, he a son Augustus, born in 1760, he a son Arnold, born in 1794, the father of Augustus M.; William D., born in 1833; Sarah E., born in 1842, and Cyrus A., born in 1847. Augustus M. resides on the farm owned and occupied by the former generations of the family. A large elm stands in front of his house, planted by his grandmother 95 years ago. Augustus M. married in 1863, Mary M. Gifford. They have two children: William A. and Maria E. Mr. Aldrich is a Mason, and belongs to the Woonsocket Commandery. He is also a member of the Narragansett Gun Club.
p. 501: Erwin E. ALDRICH, born in 1856, is a son of Davis and Desire F. Aldrich, and a grandson of Thomas A. Aldrich. Davis Aldrich married Desire F., daughter of Willard Ballou. They had four children: Erwin E., Sylvester S., Hattie and Herbert O. Erwin E. is a bachelor, and lives with his mother in Union Village. Thomas A. Aldrich was a farmer and made a large fortune in North Smithfield.
p. 501: Mary C. ANDREWS is a daughter of James, who was a resident of Smithfield, and born there in 1799. He was a son of Jonathan Andrews, born in 1758. James Andrews married Sally Mowry in 1825. They had four children, only two of whom are living, Mary C. and Nellie A. Nellie A. married a Mr. Douglass of Connecticut.
p. 501: Fred S. BALLOU, born on the farm where he now resides, in 1854, is a son of Seril Ballou, born in 1827. His mother was Amanda M. Smith. Mr. Seril Ballou had five sons and one daughter, all born in North Smithfield. Fred S. Ballou married Nellie A. Sleeper, April 23d, 1878. They have an adopted son, Eddie. Mr. Ballou is a farmer and raises some fine stock. Mrs. Ballou was the daughter of Benjamin Sleeper, of Maine, where she was born.
p. 501: Lewis H. BALLOU, born in Cumberland, R.I., in 1824, son of Silas and grandson of Edward Ballou, married Sarah R., daughter of William Ballou. She was born in Connecticut in 1822. They have one daughter, Ella C., who married Martin M. Arnold. They all live on the farm, called the Spring Gove Farm, in North Smithfield.
p. 501: Henry A. BROOKS, born in North Smithfield December 1st, 1848, is a son of William Brooks, who was born in Ireland in 1800, came to this country when a young man, and married Rhoby Brooks. They have six children: Mary, Chloe, William, Jr., Ellen, Henry A. and George F.; all living but George F., who died in 1880. Henry A. is a bachelor, and lives on his farm with his sisters.
p. 501: Lewis M. CHILSON was born in Bellingham, Mass., in 1842, and has followed butchering for the last 25 years. He was married in Rhode Island in 1865, to Fannie M. Sherman. They have two children, Ida L. and Nettie F. Mr. Chilson came to Slatersville in 1870.
p. 501: Elisha COMSTOCK, son of Welcome and Chloe Comstock, was born in Smithfield June 1st, 1823, and has been twice married. His first wife, Anna M. Smith, had three children, and died in 1857. He was married in 1865 to Asenath, daughter of Silas Mowry. They have one son, Elisha M. Comstock.
p. 502: The firm of COMSTOCK Brothers consists of George W., Stephen S. and William F. Comstock. George W. was born in 1835, Stephen S. in 1837, and William F. in 1844. They are the sons of Simon Comstock, born in 1802, died in 1858. Simon was a son of Stephen, born in 1777. Simon Comstock married Phebe Thayer, and they had three sons and one daughter, Julia, born in 1848, married W. H. Sandford, and died in 1879, leaving one daughter, Clara A. William F. Comstock married Emma Paine, who died in 1869. Goerge W. married Mary E. Mowry, who died in 1888.
p. 502: Mary G. COMSTOCK is a daughter of Henry, whose father, Ezekiel, was a son of Hezekiah. Henry Comstock married Sarah Green, who bore him four children, and she died in 1800. He married for his second wife Clarissa Arnold. They had six children, of whom Miss Mary G. Comstock is the eldest.
p. 502: Milton COOK, born in Massachusetts in 1812, is a son of Whipple and Lucy (Darling) Cook, who had ten children. Milton Cook came to North Smithfield in 1869. He married Louisa A., daughter of Fenner Cook, of Massachusetts, in 1841. He had nine children, only two of whom live at home. Mr. Cook is a director of the Citizens' National Bank of Woonsocket. He was overseer of poor three years.
p. 502: George DIRK was born in Plainfield, Conn., in 1811, and came to this town in 1837. He married Harriet N. Glover, of New Hampshire. Mr. Dirk was school trustee fourteen years, and a farmer, and served as overseer in a Douglass factory. He died in 1890.
p. 502: Augustus E. FIELD, born in Scituate in 1819, is the son of Jeremiah Field and Florinda Manchester, who had four sons: Henry M., Albert G., Augustus E. and Jeremiah H., all born in Providence county. Augustus E. married Barbara King in 1841. They had three children: Mary E., Helen F. and George A. Augustus E. Field came to North Smithfield in 1879. Mr. Field, in company with his son, George A., is in the pigery business, runs a farm of 300 acres, has 1,200 hogs, 10 horses, 5 yoke of oxen, 15 cows, 200 head of steers and 42 sheep.
p. 502: Mrs. Whipple M. FOLLETT has been twice married. Her first husband was Daniel Smith. They were married in 1853, and had two children: Minerva F., born in 1856, and Daniel D., born in 1858. Miverva is a teacher in a mute school in Pennsylvania. Daniel D. is a jeweler in Providence. Mr. Daniel Smith died, and his widow married Whipple M. Follett. They have three children: Edith, born 1870; Bertha, 1873; and Lewis, 1875. Edith married Elmer A. Smith, and has one daughter, Minnie, and one son, Elmer. Mrs. Follett has been mute since birth. Both her husbands could talk and all her children. She is highly educated, and is a graduate of the Hartford Institute. Her maiden name was Mowry. She is a sister of Charles W. Mowry.
p. 502-3: Joseph W. GILMORE, born in Providence in 1830, came to North Smithfield in 1878. Mr. Gilmroe was a contractor 30 years. He married Miss L. V. Drayton, of Jersey City, N.J. They have one son living in New York, J. H. Gilmore.
p. 503: John B. GREENE, born in West Greenwich, R.I., October 15th, 1843, is a son of Elisha A. Greene and Susan H. Tillinghast. He was married in 1863 to Georgianna, daughter of Warren Weaver. They have no children. Mr. Greene is a farmer and a democrat.
p. 503: Captain Philip D. HALL was born in Plainfield, Conn., on the 8th of June, 1822. His father, William Hall, was a teacher in the academy at Catskill, N.Y., and in Plainfield, Conn., after which he held various public offices in his native town. His son, the youngest of the family, was afforded many advantages in early life, which he improved, though meanwhile declining a thorough education to pursue the study of art, for which he felt a passionate devotion. Entering the studio of Alexander Emmons, an eminent artist of Hartford, Conn., he studied for some years under his guidance, and afterward under other equally excellent masters. Captain Hall has since devoted his time to art, and assiduously striven to exemplify all that is noble and good in his profession, irrespective of his surroundings. He has not painted for fame, and his environment has not been such as to inspire and encourage genius. With an unerring purpose, and with great industry, he has nevertheless persevered, and many of his best works have seen no other light than that of the studio walls. With him art is a sentiment and entirely separated from commercial values. Captain Hall possesses a cultivated mind and excellent jugement. He is honest in his purpose, and lives untrammeled by the conventionalities of social life. His highest pleasure is found in the devotion to the art he loves, in books, and in the mental resources he commands.
Captain Hall was in 1862 in command of a small company of home guards that furnished a number of recruits for the various Rhode Island regiments. With the remainder of his command he joined the Ninth Regiment, Rhode Island volunteers, during its term of service in the late war, and afterward as captain of the company, was for years connected with the state troops, his regiment forming a part of the Second Brigade of State Militia. He had previously traveled extensively in Virginia, making studies and sketches, and been made familiar with slavery in all its cruel forms. His studio and home are at present in Slatersville."
(overlay: photo engraved portrait of P. D. Hall)
p. 503: Dwight F. HAMMOND, born in Glocester, R.I., in 1809, is a son of Nathan and grandson of Amos Hammond. Dwight F. married Abby Hendrick. George W. is the only child living. He married Julia Chapman. They have one child, Francis D. Dwight F. Hammond came to Smithfield in 1851. Mrs. Hammond died in 1866.
p. 503-4: J. P. HARRIMAN was born in Maine in 1846, and spent his boyhood days in Pascoag. He enlisted in the Eighteenth New Hampshire regiment, and served in the war of the rebellion. He came back to Providence county and married Lucy F., daughter of Charles Wight. They have one son, James P. Harriman. Mr. Harriman is the inventor and owner of a patent attachment for a rotary knitting machine. His father was the Reverend D. P. Harriman, a well-known clergyman of Pascoag.
p. 504: George H. HELM, of the firm of G. Helm & Son, of Slatersville, is a son of George Helm, who was born in Germany in 1834, came to this country and settled in Norwich, Conn., and came from there to Slatersville. He married Grace McKeag of Connecticut. They have nine children. The firm of George Helm & Son was formed in 1881 and does a general mercantile business.
p. 504: John H. HIGGINS was born in Warwick., R.I., August 4th, 1831. He came to Forestdale in 1870 to take charge of the Forestdale Manufacturing Company's mills, still occupying the position. He was married in 1854 to Sarah F., daughter of Dean Kimball. They have two sons: Frank L., who is with his father in Forestdale, and is a mechanic, and George F., who is a bookkeeper in Woonsocket. Mr. Higgins' mother's name was Arnold. Her ancestors came from England in 1635. His father's ancestors came from England in 1770.
p. 504: Charles H. HOBBS is superintendent of the Slatersville Mills and has held that position for five years. He was born in Maine in 1848. He is a prominent republican and a member of the republican state committee. He is a director in the First National Bank of Smithfield.
p. 504-5: Ansel HOLMAN -- David Holman, the father of the subject of this sketch, was a progressive farmer in Warwick, Mass. His son, Ansel Holman, one of nine children, was born August 18th, 1808, in Warwick, where he resided until his 21st year. His educational opportunities were somewhat meagre, but a taste for reading and a thoughtful habit of mind caused him, nevertheless, to become a well-informed man. He learned the blacksmith's trade in the town of his birth, and on his change of residence to Forestdale, in Providence county, engaged in work with the firm of Mansfield & Darling. On the death of the last named partner he formed a business relation with Henry Mansfield, and for several years engaged in the manufacture of scythes. The firm became embarrassed and on its dissolution Mr. Holman continued business for two years with Henry S. Mansfield as partner. On his retirement from this partnership he was made foreman of the works and filled this position until the property was converted into a cotton mill, when with George Johnson as a partner he engaged in the manufacture of scythes in Burrillville, R.I. After a successful business career of 13 years a disastrous fire, causing a total loss, ended this business venture, and his experience as a manufacturer.
Mr. Holman was much interested in public matters and filled many offices in the town of North Smithfield. A republican in politics, he was for nine years clerk of the town, justice of the peace, and trial justice, and for two terms a member of the Rhode Island legislature. He was a member of the Slatersville Congregational church and for 40 years one of its exemplary deacons. His death occurred September 4th, 1885. Mr. Holman's first wife, to whom he was married in 1834, died in 1846. Their children, Martha P., Sarah Augusta and Ansel P., are all deceased. His second union was with Nancy W., daughter of Isaac and Hannah Tabor, of North Smithfield, on the 29th day of February, 1848. Their children are two sons: Isaac T., born July 11th, 1851, and Theodore F., February 22d, 1858. Isaac T. married Jenny Bowen, of the same town, and has had three children: Florence (deceased), Ansel and Bertha A. Theodore F. married Alla M. Marsh, of North Smithfield, and has a daughter, Emma E., and a son, Harvey E."
(overlay: engraved portrait of Ansel Holman)
p. 505: James I. HOTCHKISS was born in Smithfield in 1842. His father, Edward, was born in Woodbridge, Conn., in 1799, and married Joanna Aldrich. James I. is their only child. He married Abbie F. Dodge, and they have seven children: Isabelle C., Mabel R., Bertha E., Adelia E., Joanna F. A., Ethel M. and Edward C. Isabelle C. was married July 28th, 1889, to John W. Paul. Mr. Hotchkiss is superintendent of the cemetery at Union Village, and a farmer and bookkeeper, also land surveyor. His mother was an Aldrich, and a director descendent from the three Adrich brothers that came from England about 1635.
p. 505: Mary E. INMAN is a daughter of Daniel M. and Mary Inman. Daniel was a son of Daniel and grandson of Samuel Inman. He married Mary Saunders in 1839, and they had three children: Urania, Lucy and Mary E. Mary E. is the only one of this family living.
p. 505: James KELLY & Son have been established in business 14 years in Waterford, in the coal and wood trade and livery business. The firm consists of James Kelly and Michael F., his son. James was born in Ireland in 1825, and married Elizabeth Carlton, also a native of Ireland. He came to Waterford in 1850. They have five children: Michael F., William, Elizabeth, John and Margaret. The firm of James Kelly & Son does a business of $50,000 annually.
p. 505: Mrs. Mary E. LAPHAM is the widow of Thomas J. Lapham. They were married in 1829. Mrs. Lapham is a daughter of Arioch Comstock. She was born July 17th, 1808 in Smithfield. Her father was born in 1770, and married Joanna Aldrich. They had five children: Welcome A., Mary E., Fenner, Arnold and Joanna A., all born in Smithfield. Thomas J. Lapham died in 1872, leaving two children: William H. and Louise E. William H. married Abbie M. White, and has three children: Thomas J., Amy A. and Carrie W. Louise married Joseph A. Morse and has two children.
p. 505-6: George W. LOVELL was born July 7th, 1822, in the house he now lives in. He is the son of Darius, who was born May 25th, 1787, and grandson of Alexander, born in 1747. Darius married a Mathewson. George W. has one sister living in Burrillville, Amy Ann, born January 4th, 1828. George W. was married to Orril Parker April 13th, 1845. They had one son, Charles W., who died in 1866. Mrs. Orril Lovell died March 20th, 1848. Mr. Lovell was married to Lucinda Buffum October 6th, 1850. They had four children: Levalley A., Franklin D., George P. and Mary M. George P. married Alice A. Parker. She died May 15th, 1888. They had two children: Clarence W. and Charles P. Mr. George W. Lovell was in the legislature in 1883.
p. 506: John F. MANSFIELD, born in 1820, is a son of Henry S. Mansfield, the first cashier of the bank at Slatersville. John F. married Fannie Bacheler, of Massachusetts. She was born in 1825. Mr. Mansfield has been a mechanic, and worked in the scythe factory at Forestdale.
p. 506: Mary S. MANSFIELD, a sister of John F., was born at the old homestead where she now resides, in 1831, and was educated in Worcester, Mass. Her father was one of the founders of the bank at Slatersville. Her mother was Elizabeth Buffum. Miss Mary S. Mansfield is the youngest of a family of nine children.
p. 506: Joseph N. MASON is a son of Stephen N. Mason. Mr. Stephen N. Mason in president and treasurer of the Woonsocket Machine and Press Company. The company does a business of $125,000 annually. The company was established in 1872, and incorporated with a capital of $200,000. Mr. Joseph N. Mason was formerly in the soap manufacturing business in Woonsocket, but is now a farmer in North Smithfield.
p. 506: Oscar J. MORSE, born in North Smithfield in 1857, is the son of Jacob Morse, who was born in Massachusetts in 1815. Jacob married Uranah F. Steere, of Burrillville, in 1849. They had three children: Ervin E., born 1851, Oscar J. and Elma M., born October 10th, 1853, and died September 5th, 1858. Oscar J. is engaged in the real estate and mortgage (sic) business. He married Bertha V. Mowry, and had one daughter, Elinor L., born April 8th, 1889, and died May 21st, 1889.
p. 506-7: Albert MOWRY -- The grandfather of Albert Mowry was Caleb Mowry, of North Smithfield, Rhode Island. His father was Barney Mowry, who married Phila, daughter of Amasa Mowry of Smithfield. Their children were five sons: Orrin P., Albert, Arlon, Stafford and Atwill. Mr. Mowry by a second marriage to Urana Steere, had one son, Erwin A. Albert Mowry, the second son in order of birth, is a native of Smithfield, where he was born March 9th, 1831. He remained on the farm attending school until his 17th year, when desiring greater advantages than were afforded at his home he became a pupil of Smithfield Seminary at North Scituate, and continued his studies at Brattleboro, Vt. His education was completed at the Union Academy in Ohio, after which he chose the law as a profession, and returing to Providence county entered the office of Bailey E. Boyden of Woonsocket as a student. He was admitted to the bar on the conclusion of his studies. Mr. Mowry at once entered into parntership with his preceptor, and afterward formed a copartnership with Honorable Thomas Steere of the same town. He was subsequently for some years alone in practice and readily won a large and profitable clientage.
On his retirement from the law he embarked in the business of milling, with which he has since combined farming and operations in real estate. Mr. Mowry as a democrat has been more or less influential in the affairs of his town. From 1880 until 1882 he represented North Smithfield in the Rhode Island senate but has declined the less important offices. An active Mason, he is a member of Mt. Moriah Lodge, and of Union Chapter of that order, in Woonsocket. Mr. Mowry was married December 8th, 1861, to Mary, daughter of Honorable James Arnold of the same town, who was born February 21st, 1830, and died April 5th, 1885."
(overlay: photo engraved portrait of Albert Mowry)
p. 507: Avah S. MOWRY is a son of Ahaz, Jr., he a son of Ahaz, he a son of Gideon, he a son of Ananias, he a son of John, who came from England at an early date and settled on Sayles hill. Ahaz, Jr., married Huldah M. Smith. They had four children: Sally, Duty S., Amanda W. and Alvah S. Alvah S. was born June 29th, 1830, and was married in 1852 to Martha M., daughter of Smith Mowry. They have two children: Florence M. and Tristam. Both are married: Florence L. to J. D. Mowry and Tristam to Elizabeth M. Reed.
p. 507-8: Arlon MOWRY represents the seveth generation of the Mowry family now residing in Providence county. Nathaniel Mowry, its progenitor, was born in 1664, and died March 24th, 1717. He settled on territory purchased of the Indians, afterward a portion of the town of Smithfield, Providence county, which later in the subdivision of the tract became North Smithfield. Among his children was a son Henry, who was the father of Uriah. Jonathan, a son of the latter, was a physician, and a Quaker preacher of much repute in those early days. Both he and his wife Deborah were exemplary and ardent examples of the faith they espoused. Thier son Caleb was the grandfather of the subject of this biography. His son Barney had five sons: Orrin P., Albert, Arlon, Stafford and Atwill, by his first wife, Phila Mowry; and sone son, Erwin Arista, by his second wife, Urana S. Steere.
Arlon Mowry was born February 23d, 1833, in the town of Smithfield, and attended the schools of his native town until the spring of 1849, when he became a pupil of Mount Union Seminary, in Stark county, Ohio. After an interval spent in teaching, he returned to the above institution and pursued his studies until the spring of 1851, when, on his return to his native town, he attended the seminary at North Scituate, R.I., and Saxton's River Seminary, Vermont, graduating under the preceptorship of a Mr. Ward, a noted instructor at the Westminster Seminary in Westminster, Vt.
Mr. Mowry was engaged in teaching a portion of the time until
1857, when he entered into business as a merchant in Woonsocket, at the
same time cultivating his farm in the town of Smithfield, and met with
success in both enterprises. His political career began in 1861,
when he was elected a member of the town council of Smithfield, and served
continuously until the division of the town in 1871, the last four years
filling the office of president of that body. He was collector of
taxes for the town from 1862 to 1871, and during the war of the rebellion
was deputy collector of internal revenue, collecting from the territory
of Smithfield alone the sum of $1,386,992.30, thus indicating the large
amount flowing into the United States Treasury from the entire county.
Mr. Mowry was elected to the Rhode Island house of representatives in 1868,
and served continuously until 1871. He represented the town of North Smithfield
in questions arising from a division of the town of Smithfield, and was
elected a committee to act joinly with others from the towns of Lincoln,
Smithfield and Woonsocket to prepare a written history of the town of Smithfield.
Mr. Mowry on a division of above town became identified with North Smithfield,
representing it for three successive years in the Rhode Island senate,
and a like period in the house of representatives. With the exception
of an interval of two years, he served for six consecutive years as member
and president of the town council, but declined further local honors.
Mr. Mowry still retains his residence in North Smithfield, though much
of his time is spent in the city of Providence, where he also has a home.
He was elected president of the Mechanics' Savings Bank of Woonsocket,
January 5th, 1885. On September 13th, 1887, he was elected president
of the National Globe Bank, also of Woonsocket, and still retains both
positions. He is in addition to these trusts a director of the National
Union Bank. His long connection with public business in the northern
portion of the state has afforded him an extended acquaintance, and established
a reputation for integrity and judicious management of public as well as
private trusts. In matters of dispute his opinion, given after mature
deliberation, carries with it
Mr. Mowry married Harriet, daughter of Isaac and Susan Wightman, who died in 1864, leaving four children: Emma Lillian, Eugene Clayton, Wilfred Lester, who died in childhood, and Harriet W. Eugene Clayton graduated from the Medical Department of the University of Vermont in 1889, and is now practicing in New York city."
(overlay: photo engraved portrait of Arlon Mowry)
p. 508: Charles W. MOWRY, son of David Mowry and Freelove Ballou, was born September 4th, 1828. His sister, Desire Mowry, lives with him. He was married in 1880, and has five children. Both Mr. and Mrs. Mowry are mutes, but the children can hear and talk. Mr. Charles Mowry and wife and sister Desire were educated at the Harford Institute. The house in which they live is about 140 years old.
p. 508-9: David B. MOWRY -- Mr. Mowry's parents were Welcome Mowry and Joanna Ballou, daughter of David Ballou of Burrillville. His paternal grandfather was Richard Mowry of Smithfield. Welcome Mowry was by trade a millwright. He was employed by the leading mill owners of the county, and regarded as an industrious, capable and upright man. His children were seven sons and three daughters, among whom is David B., born April 22d, 1818, in Smithfield, on the homestead farm owned by his grandfather, and now in possession of the subject of this biography. Here his youth was spent in the active pursuits which are peculiar to the farmer's son. He attended the district school for a limited time, not exceeding ten weeks, and sometimes for a lesser period, during the winter months, and served his father faithfully until his majority was attained. He continued at home receiving wages for his labor until his 24th year, when he was married September 12th, 1841, to Elizabeth Mowry, daughter of Newell Mowry and Alpha Mann of the same town. Their only child, a son, William Windsor, is married to Miss Hannah Olive, daughter of William Swan of Smithfield. Their children are three sons: Lester Erwin, Walter Swan and David Lyman.
David B. Mowry, a few months after his marriage settled on the homestead, leasing the farm and one-half of the saw mill, at present operated successfully by his son. Here he continued for seven years, when an adjoining farm was purchased, on which he located and remained an equal number of years. Mr. Mowry then sold the latter property and became the owner of the farm on which he at present resides. He has devoted his life to the laborious and exacting employments connected with the farm, varied by the management of the saw mill, and the lumber business which occupied the winter months. He is in politics a democrat and has filled the various local offices, such as member of the town council, assessor of taxes, surveyor of highways, etc., but has declined legislative honors. He is at present a member of the town council and assessor of taxes for North Smithfield. He is not identified with either of the religious denominations, though of Quaker ancestry. Mrs. Mowry, a lady of exemplary character, and most industrious and capable in all her domestic relations, died April 29th, 1888."
(overlay: photoengraved portrait of David B. Mowry)
p. 509: Duty S. MOWRY, is a son of Ahaz, Jr., whose father, Ahaz, was a son of Gideon, and grandson of Ananias, all born in Smithfield. Duty S. Mowry was born March 3d, 1825, and married Betsey O., daughter of Ethan Harris. They have six children: Abby H., born in 1861; Ethan H., born 1863; Waldo P., born 1866; Howard S., born 1868; Huldah S., born 1870, and Aaron P., born 1877. Miss Amanda W. Mowry, a sister of Mr. Duty S. Mowry, lives with him.
p. 509: George F. MOWRY, was born in Smithfield March 30th, 1838, and is a son of Olney A. Mowry. He is a descendant of one of the three Mowry brothers who came from England in 1635. Mr. George F. Mowry is a carpenter of North Smithfield.
p. 509-10: Olney A. MOWRY, born in North Smithfield July 20th, 1811, is a son of Darius Mowry, born in 1782. Darius was a son of Richard, and grandson of Ananias, a descendant of one of the brothers that came to this country in 1635. Olney A. Mowry married Alzada Ballou, who died December 28th, 1846. They had seven children. Mr. Mowry is a farmer.
p. 510: Smith MOWRY is a son of William, he a son of Richard, he a son of Ananias, he a son of John, Jr., he a son of John. Smith Mowry was born in 1808 in Smithfield and married Lucretia, daughter of Eliakim Mowry. They have five children: Martha M., Eliakim, Alonzo, Wilson S., and Lydia A. Mr. Mowry has worked at the mason's trade 50 years. He has been town councilman.
p. 510: James PARKIN was born in England in 1820, and came to this country in 1863. He worked in the cotton mills for Governor Smith until 1871. His wife is deceased. He had four grandchildren living with him at the time of his death, October 10th, 1890.
p. 510: James PITTS has been a manufacturer in North Smithfield 20 years. He was born in Pawtucket, R.I., in 1811. His father was the late Joseph Pitts, of Blackstone, Mass. James Pitts was married first in 1835 to Elsie Sayles, of Rhode Island, who died a few years later, and he was again married in 1844 to Mary Thompson of Massachusetts.
p. 510: William H. SANDFORD, clerk and paymaster of the Slatersville
Mills, was born in New London, Conn., December 14th, 1842. At the
age of ten years he went to Jewett City, Conn., to work in the cotton mills
of the Slaters. In February, 1859, he was sent by the Slaters to
their Slatersville Mills as clerk in their counting room, where he has
remained, and can be found at the
p. 510: Orrin SAYLES, born in 1816, is a son of Welcome, he a son of Jonathan, he a son of Richard, the first town clerk of Smithfield. Richard was a son of John, he a son of John, he a descendant of John, who married Mary Williams, daughter of Roger Williams. Orrin Sayles married Maria B. Eaton in 1853. They have two daughters - Louisa A. and Anna M. Mr. Sayles and his sister, Louisa, are all there are living of Welcome Sayles' family. Welcome Sayles had another son, Israel, who was born in 1816 and died in 1888. He married Sarah Sprague in 1837, and they have one daughter, Elsie, living.
p. 510: Rachel SAYLES is the widow of Benjamin Sayles, who died in 1887. She was born in 1819. Benjamin Sayles was born in 1810. They had three children: Benjamin F., born in 1853; Lucy A., 1856; and Gideon A., born 1863, deceased. The father of Benjamin was Gideon Sayles.
p. 510-11: Linnaeus H. STANLEY, born in Massachusetts November 30th, 1840, was a son of John H. and Cornelia (Draper) Stanley. John H. was born in 1811 and had four children: Delia M., Linnaeus H., Emma A. T. and Arthur W. L. H. Stanley married in 1864 Pauline Baglin, daughter of Adolphus M. Baglin, who was born in France. L. H. Stanley had three children: Charles H., Lena and N. Edna. Mr. Stanley was a soldier in the war of the rebellion, sergeant in the Sixth New York Cavalry.
p. 511: Walter M. SMITH, born in Smithfield in 1853, is a son of Charles A. Smith, who was born in Scituate in 1820. Charles A. married Eleanor A., daughter of Pelatiah Metcalf, and had three children: Mary F., born in 1847; Walter M., born 1853; and Harry H., born 1867. Walter had four children: Eleanor A., born 1879; Charles M., born 1881; Ralph H., born 1883; and Ruth A., born 1886. Walter M. Smith has been a member of the legislature two years from North Smithfield. His father was also a member from the same town two years. Mr. Smith is a republican.
p. 511: George F. VARNEY was born in New Hampshire in 1841, and came to North Smithfield in 1878. He was superintendent of schools in North Smithfield in 1881. He married Sarah E., daughter of William and Jane A. Tucker, of North Smithfield. They have one son, born in 1886, George W. Varney. Mr. and Mrs. Varney are members of the Smithfield monthly meeting of Friends.
p. 511: Joshua WARDLE was born in Dukinfield, England, April 14th, 1844, and came to Slatersville when he was four years old. He was a son of John and Olive Wardle, who had seven children: Anne, Henry, Ellen, Joshua, Joel, William S. and Olive. Joshua Wardle married Annie Waterhouse, who was born in Mossley, England, April 2d, 1845. They have two sons -- Edward B. and William M. Mr. Joshua Wardle is overseer in the Slatersville Mills since he was eleven years old. He has held several places of trust in town affairs -- town sargeant, justice of the peace, etc. At the breaking out of the rebellion Henry enlisted in the Fourth Rhode Island Volunteers, was wounded at the battle of Newborn, serving the country over three years
p. 511: David S. WILKINSON, born in North Smithfield in 1820, is a son of Isaac and Hannah (Streeter) Wilkinson. His mother is still living at the age of 95, and is the old person living in North Smithfield. His father, Isaac, was a politician in his day, and held the office of town treasurer a number of years. He was also representative and senator a number of years from North Smithfield. David S. has served two terms in the general assembly. He was married in 1845, to a sister of George J. Hendrick. They have one daughter, Seraphina, who married Charles H. Smith, brother of Mrs. George T. Hendrick, and has one son, David W. Smith.
The Newport County Reading Room Index More Biographies & History .