Centenary United Church was founded as a Methodist mission in Point St. Charles by the Ottawa Street Methodist Church in 1864. It was located on the south side of Wellington Street west of the Grand Trunk Railway. The first service was held April 23, 1865. The building was 60' by 40', of brick with Ohio sandstone facings. The spire held a bell donated by the superintendant of the Grand Trunk Railway Works. The church originally seated 300 but a gallery was added a few years later to accomodate another 150 people. It became an independent circuit in 1872. A larger church which could seat 950 was built at the southwest corner of Wellington and Charron Streets in 1891. The auditorium was ampitheatre style. The architect was S.R. Badgley of Cleveland. The organ, bell and Memorial Tablets were brought from the old church. The official opening was on January 3,1892 and the church was named in honour of the Centenary of the foundation of Methodism in Canada.
In 1893 construction on Hope Chapel at the corner of Ryde and Charlevoix began, to accomodate the growing congregation. A mission in Queen's Park was begun in 1898. It was supplied by Centenary until 1903 when a frame building was erected. This church eventually became Verdun United Church. In 1912 a parsonage was built at 301(or 585?) Fortune Street south of Wellington. A new organ was installed in Centenary Church in 1922. In 1925 the church became Centenary United Church. In 1947, after being used as a mission for ten years, Hope Chapel was sold to Dr. H.M.Candlish.
On March 23, 1949 Centenary United was completely demolished by fire. While the rebuilding of the church was planned and executed the congregation worshipped at McVicar Hall. In January 1951 a much smaller version of the church reopened. During the ministry of Reverend William T. Mercer (also Superintendant of St. Columba House), the congregation of St. Columba House joined Centenary and St. Columba House became once again an evangelical social settlement. In 1953 the manse at 585 Fortune Street was sold. The building was sold......
Source: United Church Archives - Beverly Levine
MINISTERS & NUMBER OF MEMBERS 1881-1925