|HISTORY OF THE CORNWALL CHEESE AND BUTTER BOARD|
| John Snetsinger|
Sweet Briar Cheese Factory
OHN SNETSINGER started to learn cheese making in the Spring of 1902, and in 1904 took charge of his first factory.
During the Winters of 1903-4-5-6 he took a course at the Eastern Dairy School at Kingston and graduated with honors in 1906.
In 1914 he bought the Wales Cheese Factory, and, after managing it successfully for three years, sold it to Gilbert Rancier. He bought the Sweet Briar Factory at Dickinson's Landing in 1916, and is now successfully operating it. Since purchasing this factory he has improved it to the extent of over $2,000.00, so that it is now classed as one of the most up-to-date and best-equipped in Eastern Ontario.
Mr. Snetsinger is but thirty-two years old and was for three years salesman for the Wales' Factory and three years for Sweet Briar Factory. He is generally regarded as one of the most proficient cheesemakers in the Cornwall District. He has been a consistent prize winner at the Eastern Ontario Dairy Convention, exhibiting superior cheese.
Mr. Snetsinger's father's name is John J. Snetsinger and his mother's maiden name was Margaret Scott. He is a Catholic in religion and a Liberal in politics. On November 28, 1918, Mr. Snetsinger married Uella Forsythe, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. German Forsyth, of Moulinette.
The Sweet Briar Factory of Dickinson's Landing, of which John Snetsinger is proprietor, is located on the banks of the St. Lawrence River, eleven miles west of Cornwall. It is one of the largest and best-equipped factories in the Cornwall District. During the season of 1916, more than 210,000 pounds of cheese and over 2,000 pounds of whey butter were manufactured at this plant. During
|prev page 254 next page|