|HISTORY OF THE CORNWALL CHEESE AND BUTTER BOARD|
| Napoleon Saucier, Proprietor|
Silver Lilly Cheese Factory
APOLEON SAUCIER is the proprietor of the Cheese Factory, 2 1/2 miles north of Williamstown, known as the Lilly White. Mr. Saucier, who is only twenty-four years of age, is the son of Mr. and Mrs. Joseph Saucier. He married Bernadette Lalonde and is the father of one son. In religion he is a Catholic, in politics a Liberal, and of French extraction.
He started in the cheese manufacturing business as an apprentice at St. Raphael's in 1913, where he served one season, and in 1914 was in the King's Road Factory with James Tobin. He also attended the Kingston Dairy School during this year. In 1915 he came to the Silver Lilly Factory where he worked for the then owner, Angus McDonnell, for one season.
In 1916, this factory was purchased by Alex. Clark, Mr. Saucier continuing as maker during 1916 and part of 1917. In the summer of 1917 he purchased the factory from Mr. Clark and is now operating it with splendid success.
The factory patronage has grown from the small number of seven, when he first purchased it, until it has, through his untiring efforts and zeal, reached the fine total of thirty-two. This means an increase in the output of the factory of from ten to sixty cheese a week.
Since purchasing the factory, he has erected a cosy home on the premises. Mr. Saucier's chief assistant in the factory is Mrs. Saucier, and to her he accords much of the credit for his success.
Home of Napoleon Saucier
|prev page 246 next page|