|HISTORY OF THE CORNWALL CHEESE AND BUTTER BOARD|
|MODERN BARN BUILDING|
|HIS barn was erected by Lieut.-Col. D. M. Robertson, M.V.O., on the Manor Farm of 600 acres at Williamstown, 1915. The building stands on an elevation. It is 120 feet by 48 feet, corner posts 18 feet. The foundation is 5 feet underground, solid concrete, under which there is a tile drain. |
The stable wall is 8 feet 6 inches high, built of concrete reinforced with iron. This wall is 12 inches thick with an air space of 3 inches, making a complete vacuum.
Barns of Lieut.-Col. D. M. Robertson, M.V.O., Manor Farm, Williamstown
The silos are 36 feet in height, inside diameter 14 feet, walls 12 inches with an air space of 3 inches. The material used in the construction of this building is dressed Georgia pine. The stables have a capacity for 70 head of cattle and 10 horses, separated by a solid concrete wall. Both stables are fitted with modern galvanized iron fixtures.
This barn is a fitting home for the imported Clydesdale horses and Shorthorn cattle which are bred on this farm. At the writing of this article, there are 115 head of cattle and 15 horses, which include a fine herd of dairy cows.
|prev page 225 next page|