|HISTORY OF THE CORNWALL CHEESE AND BUTTER BOARD|
|A. DOUGALD CAMERON|
| A. Dougald Cameron|
N 1786 a large number of Highland Scotch immigrants — United Empire Loyalists — left their homes in the valley of the Mohawk, came north and settled along the shores of the St. Lawrence. Prominent among these was one John Cameron, who afterwards represented Glengarry at the Seventh Parliament of Upper Canada in 1817. The original lot drawn as his allowance from the Government is part of the land now owned by the subject of our sketch, A. Dougald Cameron, a great-grandson of the original owner. Mr. Cameron, on the maternal side, can also claim Highland ancestry, his grandfather, the late Dougald Cameron, of Martintown, Ont., being born in Fort William, Inverness, Scotland.
Mr. Cameron was born in The Homestead in 1885, educated at Williamstown High School and Ontario Agricultural College, Guelph. In religion he is a Presbyterian and in politics a Unionist.
Maplehurst Farm, his home, consists of 150 acres and is devoted principally to dairying, a herd of 30 to 35 milch cows being kept. A greater part of the milk produced is shipped to Montreal, although in summer a considerable quantity is sent to the local cheese factory. The barn and stables are of old design, but the equipment is up to date, having silo, root-house, litter carriers, and milking machine, etc.
Home and Farm Buildings of A. Dougald Cameron
|prev page 65 next page|