William A. Stuart. A substantial business man whose position is best indicated by his office as vice president and manager of the Fullerton-Stuart Lumber Company, with headquarters at Okmulgee and with yards all over that section of Oklahoma, W. A. Stuart started life under the spur of his own ambition, and thirty years ago was getting acquainted with the lumber business in the humble capacity of a worker engaged in piling lumber in a local yard.
His early life was one comparatively lacking in advantages and opportunities. His father was somewhat of a wanderer, and Mr. Stuart as a boy came to regard a prairie schooner or mover’s wagon in the light of a home. He was born at Hillsboro, Highland County, Ohio, April 23, 1867, a son of H. H. and Jane A. (Walters) Stuart, the former a native of Ohio and the latter of Virginia. The mother died in 1875 when W. A. Stuart was eight years old. His father passed away in Missouri in 1910. The father was a farmer, but apparently could not content himself with a permanent abode. W. A. Stuart was one of seven children, four of whom are still living. When he was four years old his father moved out to Kansas and later to Missouri, living successively at Camden, Mexico, Louisiana, Hannibal, Warrensburg and other points. When the boy was ten years of age his father established a home at Effingham, Illinois, where the son secured most of his education in the local schools.
When he was eighteen years of age, with only a few dollars in his pocket, he found his way to Kansas by riding in a box car, and at Delphos in that state gained his first experience as a lumberman by employment in a local yard. He was steady and persistent and desired to get ahead, and continued working in that locality for about nine years. Many years ago he entered the employ of the Chicago Lumber & Coal Company, of which E. H. Fullerton was president, and Mr. Stuart has been associated with Mr. Fullerton as an employee or business associate ever since. For one year he was located at Horton, Kansas, and then became traveling auditor for three years, and for another three years had charge of the yards at Beloit, Kansas.
Having been taken into partnership with Mr. Fullerton, they bought the lumber yard at Fall City, Nebraska, of which Mr. Stuart became general manager. When that business was sold he came to Okmulgee, Oklahoma, in 1901, and has since been identified with that growing and thriving city in the eastern part of the state. The Fullerton-Stuart Lumber Company is a corporation, of which Mr. Stuart is vice president and general manager.
Fifteen years ago, when he first came to Oklahoma, the town had a population of about 600, chiefly Indians and negroes. His own lumber yards have since furnished more than half the lumber which has gone into the buildings comprising a flourishing city of 10.000 people. The company now has nine yards altogether, located at Okmulgee, Sapulpa, Kiefer, Mounds, Beggs, Henryetta, Wetumpka, Morris, Boynton. About thirtyfive men are employed in the different branches of the establishment. Mr. Stuart as general manager has the supervision of all the yards, and keeps his head offices at Okmulgee. The volume of annual business is estimated to be worth about $750,000.
Mr. Stuart has some interests in the oil industry of Oklahoma, but considers that a side issue. He is a republican in politics as regards national affairs, is a Presbyterian, and has been a member of the board of trustees since the church was founded in Okmulgee. He is a Knight Templar Mason and Shriner. In 1914 Mr. Stuart completed at 304 North Grand Avenue a handsome residence regarded as the finest home in the city. He takes a great deal of delight in his home and family. In 1901 at Fall City, Nebraska, he married Miss Eva Maude Jussen, who was born at Fall City, a daughter of P. H. Jussen. To their union have been born six children: Catherine, Robert, Virginia, William, John and Louis.