Victor S. Decker


Victor S. Decker. Creek County is fortunate in the character and ability of its public officials, and in none more so than the present county judge, Victor S. Decker. Judge Decker has lived in this part of Oklahoma a number of years, has become known as an able lawyer, and his efficient record in every responsibility entrusted to him was the basis for the present honor which he enjoys.
The Decker family has been identified with Oklahoma since the original opening more than thirty-five years ago. Judge Decker was born in Mankato, Kansas, April 4, 1883, a son of Samuel D. and Maggie (Sturgis) Decker. His father was born in Henry County, Illinois, in 1848. His mother, who was also a native of Illinois, died when her son Judge Decker was one year old. Two years later the father married Addie E. Morrow. In 1880 he had moved to Burr Oak, Kansas, and for four years served as county attorney of Jewell County. From there he moved to Oberlin, Kansas, and in 1889, located at Guthrie, the capital of Oklahoma Territory. His home was in Guthrie until 1896, in which year he removed to Chandler, resided there up to 1910, and was a resident of Sapulpa, where he has many friends, until 1913. Since then he has made his home in St. Cloud, Florida. He took up the practice of law in early manhood, and wherever he has lived he has been active in politics. His political activities have been chiefly in the interest of party success and his own friends. He was one of the influential men in the formative period of Oklahoma’s political life, and was well known both at Guthrie and in Lincoln County. Though he is not yet seventy years of age he has a record as a soldier in the Civil war. At the age of fifteen he ran away from home in order to enlist, and served two years with an Ohio regiment. He is a member of the Baptist Church, is affiliated with the Independent Order of Odd Fellows, Knights of Pythias, and is an esteemed member of the Grand Army of the Republic. Judge Decker was one of his father’s five children: Emma, wife of Bomar Hamlin of Colorado; Arthur, who is in the railway service with the M. K. & T. Railroad at Coffeyville, Kansas; Judge Decker; Earl, who is associated with his father; and March, engaged in mining at Trinidad, Colorado.
The home of Judge Decker was with his father until the fall of 1909, and he first knew Oklahoma when he was some six or seven years of age. He attended the common schools, read law in his father’s office, and was admitted to the Oklahoma bar in January, 1907. Since then he has been in active practice, and since the fall of 1909, has been identified with the Sapulpa bar. In 1910 he was elected county attorney of Creek County, was reelected in 1912, and from that office graduated into the position of county judge, with which he was honored in 1914. His record as a sterling public official has been such that his friends predict for him an important place in the political affairs of this state. While living at Chandler he also held the office of city attorney, and has given service as a school board member and on the city council. Politically he is identified with the republican party. In a business way Judge Decker is a partner in the Davis Grocery Company of Sapulpa, his associate being H. H. Davis. He also has some oil interests. Fraternally he is a member of the Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks.
On May 8, 1904, Judge Decker married Miss Gertrude Leavitt, who was born in Illinois, a daughter of Edward and Harriet Leavitt. The one son of their marriage is named Donald and their daughter is named Harriet.