Dr. Victor Clifford Tisdal, a widely known and highly successful surgeon of Elk City, and member of the firm of Tedrowe and Tisdal, owners of the Frances Hospital, has been engaged in practice here only since April, 1913, but has already established himself firmly in the confidence of a large clientèle and of his professional brethren. Prior to entering upon the practice of his calling he received a thorough and comprehensive training, and has never ceased to be a student, his constant devotion being one of the reasons for his success in bis profession. He is a Texan by nativity, born January 3, 1886. in Fannin County, and is a son of Carroll Watson and Mollie E. (Morehead) Tisdal.
The Tisdal family is of Irish origin and its first American settler located in Pennsylvania prior to the Revolutionary war. From the Keystone State the family moved to Tennessee, where, in 1862, was born Carroll Watson Tisdal. As a young man he went to Arkansas, where he was married and engaged in farming and stockraising, and in 1885 went to Fannin County, Texas, there continuing to be engaged in the same vocations until September, 1893, when he removed to Cordell, Oklahoma, where he now resides. Since 1906 he has devoted his activities exclusively to stock buying. He is a steward in the Methodist Episcopal Church, South, and a democrat in his political views. Mr. Tisdal married Miss Mollie E. Morehead,, who was born in Arkansas, in 1866, and they became the parents of the following children: Victor Clifford; Wilmoth, who is the wife of Lot M. Jones, an educator of Cordell, Oklahoma; Carroll, who has charge of a gentlemen’s furnishing store at Hennessy, Oklahoma; Velma, a teacher, who resides with her parents; Chesley, who is a sophomore in the Cordell High School; Willie, who is in the seventh grade of the public schools at Cordell; and William, a pupil in the fourth grade.
Victor C. Tisdal, after graduating from the Cordell High School, entered the University of Oklahoma, and was duly graduated therefrom. His medical studies were prosecuted in the medical department of Fort Worth (Texas) University, where he received the degree of Doctor of Medicine in 1910. In 1913 he took a postgraduate course in the Chicago Post-Graduate School, specializing in diseases of the eye, ear, nose and throat, and in 1914 took another course in the same institution, specializing in surgery. In the meantime, in 1910, he had commenced practice at Hammon, Oklahoma, from whence, in April, 1913, he came to Elk City. Here he has carried on a general medical and surgical practice to the present time, specializing in the latter branch of his calling, in which he has won something more than a local reputation. The Frances Hospital, owned by the firm of Tedrowe & Tisdal, was established in 1913, and has accommodations for twenty patients. It is a modern institution, located on West Broadway, and is equipped in every way for the care and handling of the most delicate and important cases. Doctor Tisdal’s offices and those of the firm are located on Broadway. The esteem in which the doctor is held by his professional brethren and their appreciation of his abilities are shown by the fact that he is at present serving in the capacity of president of the Beckham County Medical Society. He belongs also to the Oklahoma County Medical Society, the American Medical Association, the Southwestern Medical Society, the Southern Medical Society, the Western Oklahoma Medical Society and the Fort Worth (Texas) Medical Society. He is a stockholder in the Wichita Southern Life Insurance Company. Fraternally, the doctor is well and widely known, belonging to Elk City Lodge No. 182, Ancient Free and Accepted Masons, of which he is past master; Elk City Chapter No. 50, Royal Arch Masons; Elk City Commandery No. 15, Knights Templar; and Shriner Lodge No. 1144, Elk City, Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks; and the local lodges of the Modern Woodmen of America, the Woodmen of the World, the Woodmen’s Circle, the Royal Neighbors and the Tribe of Ben Hur. His religious connection is with the Methodist Episcopal Church, South, in the work of which he has taken an active and helpful part, being president of the board of stewards and a member of the board of trustees. He is a democrat in his political views, and at present is serving Elk City in the capacity of health officer.
Doctor Tisdal was married at Cordell, Oklahoma, in 1907, to Miss Inez Smith, daughter of J. H. Smith, a farmer of Cotton, Georgia. They have one son: Clifford Victor, Jr., born December 24, 1910.