Thomas Jefferson Watts. With the exception of a short period at Sallisaw, the entire professional career of Thomas Jefferson Watts has been passed at Muldrow. Admitted to the bar of Oklahoma in 1898, he has attained a position of leadership among the fraternity here through his own efforts and ability, and has always used his fine legal talent in the furtherance of movements for the community welfare. Mr. Watts is an Arkansan by nativity, his birth having occurred at Fort Smith, Sebastian County, July 4, 1876, and is a son of Alfred J. and Mary (Reed) Watts. His parents, natives of Tennessee, went as children to Arkansas with their respective families and there met and were married, and in 1876 removed from Fort Smith to a farm located on the present site of Muldrow, in Sequoyah County, Oklahoma. There the parents continued to be engaged in the pursuits of farming and stock raising during the remaining years of their active lives.
Thomas Jefferson Watts was an infant when brought by his parents to Sequoyah County and here grew to manhood. His early education was secured in the district schools while he was helping in the work of the home farm and later he further pursued his studies at Hiram and Lydia College, in Arkansas. Thus prepared, he began teaching in the public schools, but after two or three years devoted to this vocation entered upon the study of law in the office of Winchester & Martin, attorneys of Fort Smith, Arkansas, a concern with which he remained for several years, first in the capacity of student and later as clerk. Mr. Watts began the practice of his profession at Muldrow in 1898, and here has continued to energetically represent and protect the interests of his clients, with the exception of the short time passed at Sallisaw, as before noted. Mr. Watts is possessed of an excellent practice, both civil and criminal, and seems to be thoroughly trained in each branch of his calling. As a citizen he has been concerned as an active factor in his support of or opposition to almost every measure of vital importance, for he has been as strong in denouncing movements which he has believed bad as he has in promoting enterprises which his judgment has told him would be beneficial. Politically a strong and active democrat, he has not sought public office, preferring to devote himself to his large and constantly growing professional business. He belongs to the various associations of the profession, and is fraternally identified with the Masons, in which he has attained the master’s degree, the-Independent Order of Odd Fellows, the Knights of Pythias and the Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks. Aside from the law, Mr. Watts is widely interested in agriculture, being the owner of 1,000 acres of river bottom land and 150 acres of land devoted to the raising of alfalfa, perhaps one of the largest and best of its kind in Oklahoma.
Mr. Watts was married December 7, 1900, to Miss Zoe A. Wyly, daughter of the late Judge R. T. Wyly, who was attorney general for the Cherokee Nation for a number of years. To this union there have been born three daughters, namely: Mildred, Mary and Helen.