Sam Hill Williamson, M. D. Since 1904, Dr. Sam Hill Williamson has occupied a respected position among the medical men of Stephens County, where he is now serving in the capacity of physician of the board of commissioners of the insane. In the early years of his manhood he applied himself to various occupations not connected with professional work, but only with the object in view of entering the field of medicine and surgery, which, from the outset of his career, he had chosen as the vocation to occupy his mature energies. His success has vindicated his youthful judgment and in the community in which his labors have been prosecuted he is unreservedly accounted a conscientious and learned practitioner and skilled surgeon.
Doctor Williamson was born at Russellville, Pope County, Arkansas, December 25, 1879, and is a son of W. W. and Sallie (Brigham) Williamson. The family originated in England and came to America prior to the Revolutionary war, being early pioneers of Kentucky. Later the name was taken to Tennessee, where was born Col. Jack Williamson, the grandfather of Doctor Williamson. The grandfather removed to Russellville, Arkansas, as a young man and subsequently became a leading citizen of his community, engaging in agricultural pursuits and taking an active and important part in civic and political affairs. When the Civil war came on he accepted a colonel’s commission in the Confederate army, and after two years of service was taken sick, after the battle of Corinth, and died in an army hospital.
W. W. Williamson, father of Doctor Williamson, was born in Pope County, near Russellville, Arkansas, in 1855, and there adopted his father’s vocation of farming, in which he was engaged until 1900. In that year he established himself in the lumber business, and has continued to be identified with this line at Russellville to the present time. He is a democrat in his political views, belongs to the Cumberland Presbyterian Church, and holds membership in the Independent Order of Odd Fellows, the Knights of the Maccabees and other fraternal orders. Mr. Williamson was married the first time to Miss Sallie Brigham, who was born at Morrilltown, Conway County, Arkansas, in 1863, and died at Russellville, Arkansas, in 1890. They were the parents of four children: Dr. Sam Hill, of this review; Bessie, who is the widow of James Love, who was a farmer, and resides at Russellville; Josephine, who is the wife of William J. Bowden, a rural mail carrier of Atkins, Arkansas; and Jack Lawrence, who is engaged in the feed business at Russellville. Mr. Williamson’s second union was with Thula Hamilton, who was born at Russellville, Arkansas, and died there in 1896, the mother of one daughter: Thula Kate, who is the wife of James Parker, of Russellville. Mr. Williamson was married the third time to Lizzie Bryan, of Russellville, who died at that place in 1911, and they had two children: Buena Vista and Wood, both of whom reside with their father.
Sam Hill Williamson received his early education in the public schools of Russellville, graduating from the high school there with the class of 1897. For three years thereafter he was employed as a clerk in a general store at Russellville, and in 1901 came to Oklahoma, locating at Duncan, where for six months he worked on a cattle ranch. During this period he had not put aside his ambitions for a professional career, and after some preparation entered Memphis (Tennessee) Hospital Medical College, where he was duly graduated in April, 1904, with the degree of Doctor of Medicine. Returning then to his native town, he practiced for six months, then coming to Duncan, where he has continued to enjoy an increasingly important and lucrative practice in both medicine and surgery. His abilities were recognized several years ago by the board of commissioners of Stephens County, which appointed him to the office of physician of the board of insane. Doctor Williamson holds membership in the Stephens County Medical Society, the Oklahoma State Medical Society and the American Medical Association. He is a democrat in his political views, and he and the members of his family belong to the Methodist Episcopal Church. Doctor Williamson is devoted to his professional labors to the exclusion of participation in outside affairs, but has never been too busily occupied to give his support to measures which promise to benefit the locality of his adoption.
On October 9, 1907, at Duncan, Doctor Williamson was married to Miss Frankie Jones, daughter of Frank Jones, a leading banker, farmer and merchant of Duncan. Mr. Jones was born near Gainesville, Texas, in 1865, and married Miss Carrie Colvert, a one-quarter Chickasaw Indian, born in 1875, in Indian Territory. To Doctor and Mrs. Williamson there have been born three children: William Franklin, Lynn Colvert and Velma Doris, the eldest of whom is attending the public schools of Duncan.