Robert Campbell. As proprietor and manager of the Anadarko Commercial College, one of the foremost institutions of its kind in this section of the state, Robert Campbell has been unusually successful in preparing members of the younger generation for business life. Mr. Campbell has been a resident of Anadarko since 1910 and he manifests a very keen interest in all matters tending to advance the general welfare, devoting much of his spare time to road improvements and to bettering public school conditions.
August 26, 1879, in the City of Atlanta, Georgia, occurred the birth of Robert Campbell, who is a son of J. A. and Elvina M. (Jones) Campbell, the former of whom is now living in Atlanta and the latter of whom died in 1885. The father was born in Virginia, in 1850, and he is of Scotch origin, tracing his ancestry to a Campbell who came from Scotland prior to the war for independence and located in the Old Dominion commonwealth. He was engaged in business as a merchant during the greater part of his active career, following that line of enterprise for a time at Atlanta and later at Stone Mountain, Georgia. Since 1911 he has lived in retirement at Atlanta. He is a democrat in polities and his religious faith coincides with the doctrines of the Methodist Episcopal Church, South. Mrs. Campbell was born in Atlanta, in 1852, and she bore her husband three children: Pierce C., is a grocery salesman in Atlanta; Robert is the subject of this sketch; and Stevie is the wife of Oliver B. Andrews of Chattanooga, Tennessee.
After a thorough preliminary training in the common schools of Dekalb County, Georgia, Robert Campbell was matriculated as a student in Emory College, at Oxford, Georgia, in which institution he was graduated as a member of the class of 1899, with the degree of Bachelor of Arts. He then taught modern languages in the Centenary College, at Jackson, Louisiana, for one year and the following year was similarly engaged in the University School for Boys of Georgia. In 1901 he became manager for the Drennen Department Store at Birmingham, Alabama, remaining with that concern for the following five years. In 1906 he became advertising manager for the Goldsmith Store at Memphis, Tennessee, and in 1907 he was made president of the American Business Company of Alabama, which concern operated schools in five different places. In 1909 Mr. Campbell came to Oklahoma and purchased the El Reno Commercial College, which he conducted until 1910, which year marks his advent in Anadarko. Here he established the Anadarko Commercial College, of which he is sole owner and manager. This school has met with phenomenal success and is filled with pupils from Caddo and the surrounding counties. Mr. Campbell is secretary of the Anadarko Commercial Club, is secretary of the Caddo County Fair Association, of the democratic County Central Committee, of the General Meridian Road Association, and is vice president of the State Road Association. He is a member of the State Board of Education and in politics is a staunch democrat. He affiliates with the Methodist Episcopal Church, South, and for years has been superintendent of its Sunday School. He is vice president of the County Sunday Schools Association. In a fraternal way Mr. Campbell is connected with Anadarko Lodge, No. 10025, Modern Woodmen of America; and with the Knights of Pythias, at Birmingham, Alabama.
In 1902, at Jackson, Louisiana, was celebrated the marriage of Mr. Campbell to Miss Willie McKowen Schwing, a daughter of the late Sam Schwing, formerly a druggist at Jackson, Louisiana. Mr. and Mrs. Campbell have one child: Robert, Jr., born December 25, 1905, and now a pupil in the Anadarko Public School.