comes of a family that was established in
the Carolinas in Colonial days. His people were of Scotch and Irish
ancestry, and pioneered to Kentucky in an early day. He was born in
Russelville, Logan County, Kentucky, on April 4, 1878, and is a son
of H. F. and Kate (Morrow) Cornelius.
H. F. Cornelius was
born in Logan County, Kentucky, in 1845, and all his life was passed
within the borders of that state with the exception of two years
which he spent in New Mexico in early manhood. He was a farmer and
stock raiser all his life, and was a member of the Methodist
Episcopal Church, serving on its official board
through many years. He was a member of the Knights of Pythias but had
no other fraternal affiliations. His wife was born in Logan County,
Kentucky, in 1855, and their two children are Percy of this review
and Cecile, who married James W. Rice of Adairsville, Kentucky, where
he conducts a coal and feed business.
attended the public schools in Russelville, Kentucky, and he. later
entered the Vanderbilt Training School at Elton, Kentucky, which was
followed by a course of training in the Cherry Brothers Business and
Normal College at Bowling Green, Kentucky. He was graduated from the
commercial department of that institution in 1899, and in 1900 he
came to Mangum and
engaged in the
bakery and confectionery business. He was fairly successful in this
enterprise, and when the Cherokee Strip was opened he went to Lawton
and invested in a number of business lots at that place. Returning a
little later to Mangum he was engaged by J. C. Gilliland &
Company, and he kept books for them for two years. He was next
connected with the Rock Island Railroad in their offices for a year,
and then spent a year with the Mangum Wholesale Grocery Company. In
1905 he entered the City National Bank, now the City State Bank, as
assistant cashier, and one year later he was promoted to the
cashiership, which position he still holds.
The bank was first
organized as a loan company, and in 1901 or thereabouts it became the
Farmers State Bank. In 1903 it was nationalized and in 1907 it became
the City State Bank. T. S. DeArman is president of the bank, with J.
D. Carruthers vice president, Mr. Cornelius cashier, and W. C. Terry
assistant cashier. The capital stock of the bank is $25,000, with a
surplus of $10,000. Its building is situated on Oklahoma Avenue,
corner of Commerce Alley.
Mr. Cornelius has
served as city treasurer of Mangum, and he is a member of the
Christian Church. He is a member of Mangum Lodge No. 61, Ancient Free
and Accepted Masons, Chapter 35, Royal Arch Masons, and Lodge 38 of
the Knights of Pythias, of which he is past chancellor. He is a
member of Lodge No. 1169, Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks of
Mangum, Mangum Camp No. 110 Woodmen of the World, Mangum Lodge of the
Modern Woodmen of America, and of the Fraternal Union. He was at one
time a member of the Fraternal Order of Eagles. He has membership in
the Oklahoma State and American Bankers Association.
In 1903 Mr.
Cornelins was married in Mangum to Miss Nora G. Campbell, daughter of
James W. Campbell, a tinner and hardware merchant of Mangum, now
deceased. Two children have been born to them,–Kathleen and
Frances Eugenia, both attending school.