Paul R. Brown, M. D. Actively engaged in general practice as a physician and surgeon in the City of Tulsa since 1904, Doctor Brown has achieved prestige as one of the specially able and successful representatives of his profession in this state, and is fully upholding the honors of a vocation that has been signally dignified by the services of his father, who was for more than a score of years a prominent surgeon of the United States Army,–a connection in which he served at many important army posts in the Union.
Dr. Paul R. Brown was born at the United States military post of Fort Shaw, Cascade County, Montana, on the 12th of July, 1876, the third in order of birth of the five children of Dr. Paul R. and Anna Marie (Mellins) Brown, the former of whom died in the year 1908 and the latter of whom now resides at Ithaca, New York, in which state she was born on the 12th of January, 1845. Of the five children throe are now living.
Dr. Paul R. Brown, Sr., was born in New York City, on the 4th of November, 1846, and in preparing himself for his chosen profession he received the advantages of the celebrated College of Physicians and Surgeons in New York City, the present medical school of Columbia University, and also those of Berkshire Medical College, in Massachusetts. He initiated the practice of his profession at Lenox, Massachusetts, but in 1874 he entered upon his long and distinguished as a post surgeon in the United States Army, his first assignment having been to Fort Wood, New York. He was stationed at Fort Shaw, Montana, from 1876 to 1878, and was then transferred to Fort Hamilton, New York, when ho was later sent to Fort Davis, Texas, where he remained four years. At the expiration of this period he returned to New York, where he remained at Fort Niagara until his assignment to Fort Huachuca, Arizona, where he remained about four years. Thereafter he held official position as post surgeon in turn at Fort Sidney, Nebraska, Fort D. A. Russell, Wyoming, Little Rock Barracks, Arkansas; and Fort Hamilton, New York. In 1897 he resigned his commission with the army, after a continuous service of twenty-one years, and thereafter he continued his resilience in the State of New York until his death, in 1908. Doctor Brown was a man of specially high professional attainments and of exalted integrity of character,–one who commanded the respect and confidence of all with whom he came in contact in the various relations of life. After his retirement from the army service he was retained as lecturer on obstetrics in the medical department of Cornell University, at Ithaca, New York, for three years. He was an honored member of the New York State Medical Society, the American Medical Association, and the Association of United States Army Surgeons. As a scion of a family early founded in America he was affiliated with the Society of the Sons of the Colonial Wars, and his ancient Dutch lineage in his native state was signified through his membership in the Holland Society of New York, while another ancestral strain entitled him to his membership in the Huguenot Society of South Carolina.
The childhood and early youth of Dr. Paul R. Brown, Jr., to whom this review is dedicated, was marked by itinerary conditions and influences, owing to the various changes of residence made by his father in his service at different army posts. His preliminary education suffered no handicap, however, and finally he completed a course in the high school in the City of Brooklyn, New York, where also he attended the Brooklyn Polytechnic Institute. In fortifying himself for his exacting profession he received the best of advantages, as indicated by the fact that in 1901 he was graduated in the medical department of the University of Maryland, in the City of Baltimore, and by his having thereafter taken an effective post-graduate course in the medical department of Cornell University, of the faculty of which his father was a member at the time. His professional novitiate after receiving the degree of Doctor of Medicine was served at a town in New York, where he continued in practice until 1903, when he came to Oklahoma Territory and established himself in practice at Guthrie, the territorial capital. One year later he removed to the City of Tulsa, where he has continued his earnest and effective labors as a general practitioner, with a substantial and representative clientèle. He is one of the appreciative and popular members of the Tulsa County Medical Society, of which he is president at the time of this writing, in 1915, and is actively identified also with the Oklahoma State Medical Association and the American Medical Association. The doctor is alert and public-spirited as a citizen and in politics is not constrained by strict partisan lines, as he prefers to support the men and measures mooting the approval of his judgment.
On the 18th of June, 1901, was solemnized the marriage of Doctor Brown to Miss Irma E. Taber, who was born and reared in the State of New York, and who is a popular figure in the social life of Tulsa. They have no children.