That highly patriotic sentiment and romance that exists in the old
Choctaw Nation caused some young men of Antlers a few years ago to
undertake the organization of a Choctaw Brigade of the Oklahoma
National Guard. Mr. V. M. Locke, now principal chief of the Choctaw
Nation, and Paris Pipkin, now a druggist of Antlers, proceeded to
organize Company L of the National Guard. Both had seen service in
the American Army, Locke as a volunteer during the Spanish-American
war and Pipkin as a soldier in the regular service. Locke was
appointed captain and Pipkin second lieutenant. On September 25,
1912, Mr. Pipkin was
promoted to the rank of first lieutenant, a position he held until
January 14, 1914, when he was commissioned by Governor Lee Cruce as
captain. Later his business required attention and he resigned from
the Guard, being succeeded by Ben Davis Locke, who was commissioned
by Governor R. L. Williams. Mr. Pipkin during his years of service in
the National Guard participated in all the important activities of
that organization and ranked as one of its best officers.
The service of Mr.
Pipkin in the United States army began in 1904 when he enlisted as a
member of Company G of the Twenty-second Infantry. In April of that
year his regiment was transferred to the Philippines and stationed on
the Island of Mindanoa. During his year’s service there he
participated in three minor engagements against the natives and with
the exhibition of such qualities as to bring him special mention for
bravery in the discharge papers which he received by purchase in
April, 1906. After his regiment was returned to the States it was
stationed at Alcatraz Island off San Francisco, where Mr. Pipkin was
made overseer in a military prison. He left San Francisco for his
former home in Indian Territory eight days before the great
earthquake in 1906.
Paris Pipkin is a
native of Indian Territory, having been born at Vinita in 1885. As a
matter of interest it may be stated that the first school which he
attended was the Harrell Institute at Muskogee, a Methodist
institution which at that time was under the superintendency of Dr.
Theodore F. Brewer, one of the advisory editors of this publication.
He spent three years there and then attended school at Fort Gibson
and at other points in the Chickasaw Nation and at Noble, in
Cleveland County, Oklahoma. His father, being an itinerant Methodist
preacher, moved about from place to place while the boy was growing
up, and in consequence he never acquired a finished or college
education. After returning from San Francisco he attended the
University of Oklahoma School of Pharmacy, which enabled him to
embark successfully in the drug business.
On locating at
Antlers in 1906, Mr. Pipkin took a position in a drug store which his
father had established there, and later he purchased the store. He is
a member of the Oklahoma Pharmaceutical Association and is one of the
very active and progressive young business men of Antlers. On April
2, 1913. at Antlers Mr. Pipkin married Miss Inez E. Farr. Her father,
Maj. J. G. Farr. was one of the oldest and most prominent
intermarried white citizens of the Choctaw Nation. To their union
have been born two children: Estelle and Paris, Jr. Mr. Pipkin has a
brother and two sisters: Charles B. Pipkin, in business in Pauls
Valley; Mrs. J. M. Wright, wife of a farmer at Antlers; and Mrs. Kate
Wallace, who is spending her widowhood with her parents.
While Mr. Pipkin’s
individual career has been of considerable interest and no small
degree of influence and usefulness in Oklahoma, there is equal
interest attaching to the life of his venerable father, Rev. W. P.
Pipkin. Rev. Mr. Pipkin was born in Missouri, but since 1888 has been
a member of the Oklahoma Conference of the Methodist Episcopal
Church, South. His wife’s maiden name was Mary E. Wingfield, and in
1915 they celebrated the fortieth anniversary of their wedding. The
story of this fine old Methodist missionary and preacher, especially
in his relations to Indian Territory and Oklahoma, is found in the