O. T. Robinson, M. D. A successful physician, an untiring
town booster and a progressive business man are three phrases that
admirably apply in description of the position occupied by Doctor
Robinson at Britton. He is a graduate of the Medical College of the
University of Kansas and of the Chicago Theological Seminary, and
ranks among the best physicians and best educated men of the state.
For four years he has been a member of the board of trustees of his
town and always a leader in public progress. He is proprietor of the
Britton Pharmacy, a modern drug store and the only one in the town.
Dr. O. T. Robinson
was born July 12, 1871, at Madison, Georgia, a son of N. F. and
Phoebe (Penney) Robinson, His father, now eighty-seven years of age
and living at Sabetha, Kansas, is a native of New York State, was an
early settler in Cook County, Illinois, and for thirty years has
resided in Northeastern Kansas. Doctor Robinson’s maternal
grandparents were residents of Long Island. Doctor Robinson has six
brothers, all farmers and living in Kansas, and two sisters: Mrs. M.
E. Marsh, wife of a minister at Wichita, Kansas; and Mrs. Lillian
Stimson, of Lawrence, Kansas, wife of a former professor in the
university of that state.
education of Doctor Robinson came from the public schools of Kansas,
and for a time he was a student in Washburn College at Topeka. In
1892 he graduated M. D. from the University of Kansas. He has twice
interrupted his professional career to take work in the Chicago
Post-Graduate College. At the outset of his professional training it
was his intention to qualify as a medical missionary, and in his
education toward that end he completed the course of the Chicago
Theological Seminary. His wife’s health, however, compelled him to
abandon missionary work, and instead he took up the
active practice of
medicine. For a number of years he was physician at the United States
Indian Agency at Colony, Oklahoma, practicing among the Cheyenne and
Arapahoe tribes. After the opening of the
Kiowa and Comanche Indian country in 1901, he moved to Hydro,
remained there seven years, and since 1909 has been identified with
the community of Britton in Oklahoma County.
Doctor Robinson was
married in 1904 at Wichita, Kansas, to Miss Laura I. Wellman,
daughter of W. M. Wellman, a pioneer missionary of Western Kansas.
Mrs. Robinson, who died in 1906, was the mother of three children:
Theron W., aged nineteen, a high school graduate, and has finished
two years in the University of Oklahoma, and is now a teacher in the
high school at Britton; Marion, aged fourteen, a student in high
school; and William, aged ten.
Doctor Robinson is a
member of the Congregational Church, has filled all the chairs in his
lodge of Masons and is a member of the Modern Woodmen of America and
the Yeomen. He belongs to the Oklahoma Medical Association and the
Oklahoma County Medical Society. For four years he has been a member
of the board of trustees of the Town of Britton, and for several
years a member of the Oklahoma County Republican Central Committee.