Nelson P. H. White


Nelson P. H. White, M. D. Seven years of devoted service in maintaining the health of a large part of the population of Clinton has drawn the career of Dr. Nelson P. H. White within the fold of a large and emphatic need, giving him an increasing outlet for a wealth of professional and general usefulness. Doctor White was born in Washington County, Virginia, September 27, 1864, and is a son of Pascal H. and Elizabeth (Essary) White, natives of Virginia. The father, of Scotch descent, was a farmer and stockman in Virginia all of,his life, where he owned a large plantation, and died in 1872, at the age of fifty-seven years, at Mendota, Virginia, where Mrs. White still resides.
Nelson P. H. White attended the public schools of Washington County, Virginia, and was graduated from the Mendota High School in the class of 1882. In the following year he was graduated from Hamilton (Virginia) College, and after leaving that institution taught school for one year in Washington County, Virginia, and one year in Sullivan County, Tennessee. He commenced the study of medicine in a preparatory school at Blountville, Tennessee, where he spent three years, and then entered the College of Physicians and Surgeons, at Baltimore, Maryland, and was graduated therefrom in 1890, with the degree of Doctor of Medicine. He did not cease his study and research when he left college halls, however, for he has been a constant student, having taken a post-graduate course at the Medical College of Virginia, in 1896, where he specialized in obstetrics and in the diseases of women and children.
The doctor spent the entire year of 1897 in the College of Physicians and Surgeons at Baltimore and Johns Hopkins University, and in the Pasteurct department of the College of Physicians and Surgeons. In 1898-9 and 1900 he spent from six weeks to three months in the college at Baltimore.
Doctor White commenced the practice of his profession at Mendota, Virginia, where he remained until 1900, in which year he came to Gerry, Oklahoma, and remained there eight years. In July, 1908, he transferred his field of practice to Clinton, where he has been deservedly successful, and where his practice in both medicine and surgery is a large and representative one. He maintains offices in the Thurmond Building, where he has appliances for the most exacting demands of his profession. Doctor White is a man of rare discretion, tact and sympathy, an earnest and painstaking exponent of the best tenets of medical science, and an indefatigable seeker after those things which produce health and happiness. He belongs to the Custer County Medical Society, of which he was formerly president, and to the Oklahoma Medical Society and the American Medical Association, and is a fellow of the American Medical Association. He belongs also to Mendota Lodge No. 281, Ancient Free and Accepted Masons, and is past noble grand of Mendota Lodge of the Odd Fellows. Politically, Doctor White is a democrat, but public affairs have attracted him little. With his family, he belongs to the Baptist Church. He has been successful in a material way, and in addition to his home on Ninth Street, North, Clinton, is the owner of much valuable farming property, including 320 acres in Gray County, Texas, and 1,280 acres in Ochiltree County, Texas.
Doctor White was married at Mendota, Virginia, in 1888, to Miss Della Lee Barker, a daughter of Col. Joel Barker, now deceased, who was a farmer and veteran of the Confederacy. Eight children have been born to Doctor and Mrs. White: Mamie Lee, who married Charles Moon, a clerk in the office of the general superintendent of the Frisco Railroad System; Nat D., who is the assistant manager of a large furniture establishment at Tulsa, Oklahoma; Nelson Stuart, who is attending the University of Oklahoma; Frank B., a senior in the Clinton High School; Bonnie K., a freshman at that school; and John V., Pearl and Erick, who are all attending the Clinton public schools.