McLain Rogers, M. D. The chief of the staff of the Clinton Hospital and Training School, at Clinton, Dr. McLain Rogers, has won a leading place among the
surgeons of Oklahoma through years of constant and assiduous application and study, broad and varied training in some of the best institutions of the country, and practical experience in several states. He is a native of North Carolina, born at Clyde, in Haywood County, June 5, 1874, a son of J. J. and Amanda (Stillwell) Rogers, and a member of an old Virginia family which came from England in Colonial days.
J. J. Rogers was born in North Carolina in 1835, and as a youth adopted the vocation of agriculturist, his entire life being passed on his plantation in Haywood County, where he carried on operations in farming and stock raising. He was a republican in politics and a deacon in the Baptist Church, in the faith of which he died in January, 1915, at Clyde. Mrs. Rogers, also a North Carolinian by nativity, died in 1896, at Clyde, aged fifty-six years. There were ten children in the family, as follows: J. H., who resides at Clyde and is engaged in farming; Alice, who is the wife of Dr. James Zachary, a dental practitioner of Norton, North Carolina; Lizzie, who is the wife of Oscar Holland, a farmer of Canton, North Carolina; J. B., who carries on farming at Clyde; Luxie, who is the wife of Dr. S. B. Medford, a graduate of Vanderbilt National University, Nashville, Tennessee, and a practicing physician and surgeon of Clyde, North Carolina; O. S., who is engaged in agricultural pursuits at Clyde; Dora, who is the wife of T. L. Green, a graduate of the University of North Carolina, and now an attorney-at-law of Waynesville, North Carolina; McLain, of this review; George, who is a rural free delivery mail carrier of Clyde; and W. S., who lives on the old homestead place in Haywood County.
McLain Rogers attended the public schools of Clyde, and passed one year at Weaverville College, North Carolina, located near the City of Asheville. Leaving that institution in 1895, he entered the Internal Revenue Service, at Asheville, in which he worked for two years, and then entered actively upon the study of medicine. Graduated from the Atlanta College of Physicians and Surgeons, in 1902, with the degree of Doctor of Medicine, he began practice at his home town of Clyde, but after a few months decided that that was too restricted a community for an ambitious young doctor, and accordingly, in January, 1903, turned his face toward the West, finally locating at Geary, Oklahoma. That place continued as his field of practice until July, 1909, when he came to Clinton, and here has devoted himself to the practice of surgery. He is surgeon and chief of the staff of the Clinton Hospital and Training. School, the hospital having been established in 1909 and the school in 1911. The new hospital was built in 1913 and is situated at Hayes and Eighth streets, the large and airy modern buildings accommodating forty patients and being surrounded by spacious lawns. These buildings are a decided addition to Clinton’s architecture. Doctor Rogers has always been a devoted student, and has taken several post-graduate courses at the Chicago Post-Graduate School, where he specialized in laboratory work and surgery. He has been president of the Custer County Medical Society, of which he remains a member, and is also associated with the Oklahoma Medical Society, the American Medical Association and the Western Oklahoma Medical Society, of which last-named he is now secretary. His skill in diagnosis and treatment, his success with many complicated and supposedly incurable cases and his faith in the best tenets of his calling, have created a demand for his services of the most desirable kind and have given him prestige among the surgeons of this part of the state. Doctor Rogers has served as city health officer both at Geary and Clinton, and is always ready to contribute of his best services in the interests of health and sanitation. His political belief makes him a republican. Fraternally, the Doctor is affiliated with Geary Lodge of Odd Fellows; Clinton Lodge No. 339, Ancient Free and Accepted Masons; India Temple, Ancient Arabic Order Nobles of the Mystic Shrine, of Oklahoma City; and the local lodge of Elks.
At Ardmore, Oklahoma, Doctor Rogers was married to Miss Bessie Alexander, daughter of M. L. Alexander, who is connected with the State School Land Department at Ardmore. Doctor and Mrs. Rogers have no children.