Lewis Gaddy, M. D. Engaged in the practice of medicine and surgery at Stratford since 1910, Dr. Lewis Gaddy has succeeded in winning the confidence and regard of the people of his adopted community and in building up an excellent professional business of a most representative character. He is a native of Van Buren County, Arkansas, and was born September 1, 1870, being a son of James and Elizabeth (Hensley) Gaddy.
The Gaddy family, which originated in Ireland, emigrated at an early day to America and took up its residence in Georgia, where the grandfather of Doctor Gaddy, Ezekiel Gaddy, passed his life as a planter and died. James Gaddy was born in Georgia, in 1844, and was six years of age when he lost his parents. He was subsequently taken to Van Buren County, Arkansas, where he was reared in the home of a family named Martin, and when the Civil war came on enlisted in the Union army and served four years, going safely through that struggle and returning to his Arkansas home. His subsequent life, with the exception of several years at Johnsonville, Indian Territory, was passed in Van Buren County, Mr. Gaddy following the pursuits of farming and stock raising, and there his death occurred in 1907. He was an active member of the Christian Church, being on the official board for many years, and fraternized with the Masonic Order. He married Elizabeth Hensley, who died at Johnsonville, Indian Territory, in 1893, and they became the parents of two children: Newton, who was born in 1868, passed his life as a farmer, and died in 1908, in Stone County, Arkansas; and Dr. Lewis.
Lewis Gaddy attended the public schools of Van Buren County, Arkansas, and was reared on his father’s farm, being associated with his father until he was eighteen years of age, at which time the family moved to Johnsonville, Indian Territory, near which place the young man farmed for himself for about three years. Farming, however, did not appeal to him, and he eventually resumed his education in the high school in Van Buren County, Arkansas, which he attended for two years. During the school years of 1898-99-1900 he studied medicine in the medical department of the University of Arkansas, and in 1902 and 1903 practiced in Pope County, Arkansas, at Atkins. He next reentered the University of Tennessee at Nashville for further training and was graduated therefrom in 1905, with the degree of Doctor of Medicine. From 1905 until 1910 he was again engaged in practice in Pope County, Arkansas, but June 3d of the latter year gave up his practice there and came to Stratford, where he has built up a large and profitable professional business, his offices being located in the Bayless Drug Store. Doctor Gaddy is a republican and a consistent member of the Christian Church. His fraternal connections include membership in Stratford Camp No. 2, Woodmen of the World, for which he is examining physician.
Doctor Gaddy was married at Eglantine, Arkansas, in 1895, to Miss Henrietta Eldridge, daughter of J. E. Eldridge, a retired citizen of Roberta, Oklahoma. Of the children born to this union, three are living: Ila, who is the wife of Rex G. Grant, connected with the First National Bank at Ada, Oklahoma; Mamie, who is a member of the sophomore class of Stratford High School; and Edwin, who is a pupil in the first grade of the public school at Stratford.