Lewis B. Jackson. Some of his more intimate friends recall the fact that Lewis B. Jackson arrived in Sapulpa about eleven years ago in the role of a very poor lawyer. What he has been able to achieve since then is pretty well known all over Creek County. Mr. Jackson is president of the American National Bank of Sapulpa, is one of the wealthiest oil producers in this section of Oklahoma, and now finds time for only an occasional law case, since his business interests have overshadowed his profession. One distinction that should be mentioned was that he was the first county attorney elected by Creek County after statehood.
Born October 27, 1875, in Decatur County, Iowa, he is a son of W. C. and Elizabeth (Beal) Jackson. His parents were natives of Ohio and came to Iowa when children with their respective families, and they were married in Clark County, Iowa. The father died when his son Lewis was five years of age. The mother left Iowa in 1904 and is now living at Stockton, California. W. C. Jackson was a man of considerable prominence in the State of Iowa. He was a school teacher for a number of years, and a short time prior to the Civil war lost a leg, and thus handicapped he found nevertheless many opportunities for useful service. He served three terms as auditor of his home county and was also superintendent of the public schools. At the time of his death he was candidate for secretary of state. There were eight children in the family, but of the five sons Lewis B. Jackson was the only one to reach maturity. His sister Ella G. Warner lives in Stockton, California. His sister Mary, now deceased, was the wife of C. W. Hoffman, now an attorney at Leon, Iowa; and Ester is now Mrs. E. R. Patch of Chico, California.
Lewis B. Jackson was reared and lived in Decatur County, Iowa, until 1904, which year he came to Sapulpa. After graduating from the public schools at Leon he attended Drake University in the law department, and was admitted to the Iowa bar in 1900. He began practice at Leon, Iowa, enjoyed some success there, but was not fairly started in life when he came to Sapulpa. Here he continued in practice and at statehood was elected the first county attorney for Creek County, an office he filled for three and a half years. Mr. Jackson was an active member of the Sapulpa bar until about two years ago, but is seldom seen in court cases any more. Since
then he has given his time to his extensive business as an oil producer and to the American National Bank of which he is president. He has been identified with this institution since its organization, and was vice president for a time. His interests as an oil producer are in Creek, Tulsa and Okmulgee counties. He also helped to organize the Sapulpa Storage and Transfer Company, now one of the largest business concerns in the city.
Politically Mr. Jackson has been a democrat all his life and along with other service he was for one year city attorney of Sapulpa. He is affiliated with the Masons, the Independent Order of Odd Fellows and the Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks.
On March 2, 1902, he married Miss Pearl Burk, who was born in Ohio, a daughter of Henry Burk. They are the parents of three children: William C., Christine and Lewis B., Jr.