Dr. James Johnson Williams. The town of Weatherford owes a considerable to Dr. J. J. Williams, who has been established in practice there since 1898. He may truly be said to be a pioneer, and to his activities in his profession, he has added much public service of an admirable character that has made his presence in Weatherford a distinct advantage to the community.
Dr. James Johnson Williams was born in Wheatland, Hickory County, Missouri, on April 8, 1867, and is the son of James D. and Harriet B. (Hughes) Williams. The father was born near Nashville, Tennessee, in 1818, and died in Wheatland, Missouri, in 1886. His wife was born near Knoxville, Tennessee, and she died at Bolivar, Missouri, in 1896. From Tennessee James D. Williams moved to Wheatland, Missouri, prior to his marriage, and in 1883 he moved from Wheatland, where he had spent many happy and prosperous years, and settled in Eldorado, Missouri, though he later returned to the old home in Wheatland and there died. He was a farmer and stockman there, and was very prominent in his county. He was a member of the Cumberland Presbyterian Church, and a devout Christian. he was twice married. His first wife was a Miss Holbert, and she died near Cross Timbers, Missouri, the mother of one son, F. M. Williams. Of his second marriage three children were born. William T. lives in Lindsay, California, where he has an orange grove. Nannie E. married J. A. Dickerson, and they live in Louis, Oklahoma, where he is postmaster and a hardware dealer. The third child was Doctor Williams of this review.
Doctor Williams had his elementary training in the schools in Hickory County, Missouri, and was graduated from the Eldorado High" School with the class of 1886. He then entered the Southwest Baptist College in Bolivar, Missouri, and was graduated with the class of 1889 with the degree B. L. Soon after he matriculated in the College of Physicians and Surgeons in Chicago, now known as the Medical Department of the State University, and he was graduated with the class of 1893, degree of M. D. He then took a post graduate course in the Chicago Clinical School in 1905, and has in other ways kept up his training so as to maintain his place in the advance guard of the profession.
Doctor Williams’ first practice was in Cross Timbers, Missouri, from 1893-6, and from 1896-8 he was engaged in practice in Bolivar, Missouri. He came to Weatherford, Oklahoma, in April, 1898, and since that time has conducted a general medical and surgical practice.
Doctor Williams is a democrat, and has served as local health officer here on several occasions. He was mayor of Weatherford for two terms, serving through the years of 1903-4-5-6, and he gave excellent service to the community in that office. In 1907 he was elected to the State Senate, serving in the First Legislature of Oklahoma. He was re-elected and served four years in that office. During the first term he gave special service as a member and chairman of the Committee on Hospitals and Charities, and during his second term he was chairman of the Committee on Appropriations. During this third term of service he was chairman of the Committee on the Senate and Legislative Affairs, and at the same time was chairman of the Public Health Committee. He was also a member of the Committee on Roads and Highways, on Federal Relations, on Drugs and Pure Foods, on Judicial Apportionments, and on State and County Affairs. He was the originator of the “Medical Practice Act of Oklahoma,” as well as the author of the Compulsory Education bill, the bill for providing for Consolidated Rural Schools, the bill providing Weatherford with $100,000 for the new Southwestern State Normal School building, the bill for the Boys’ Trading School at Pauls Valley, Oklahoma, and the bill for the Institute for Feeble Minded, at Enid, Oklahoma. It was largely through his efforts that all these various bills went through. In addition to his service in these matters, he has served Weatherford as a member of the City Council for several years. He was appointed by Governor Williams as a member of the State Board of Medical Examiners of the state in January, 1916.
Doctor Williams is a Mason, with membership in the Ancient Free and Accepted Masons, the Royal Arch Masons and the Knights Templar, all Weatherford bodies; India Temple, Ancient Arabic Order Nobles of the Mystic Shrine, Oklahoma City, and Consistory No. 1, Valley of Guthrie. He is also a member of the Knights of Pythias and the Modern Woodmen of America. He is a member of the County, State and American Medical Societies, and is prominent in the county with his brother practitioners.
Doctor Williams is the owner of considerable real estate in and about Weatherford, including his home, and a fine farm of 160 acres three miles south of Weatherford.
In 1892, in Bolivar, Missouri, was recorded the marriage of Doctor Williams to Miss Tena Milliken, daughter of H. R. Milliken, a prominent attorney and farming man of Bolivar, now deceased. Three children have been born to them: James Rankin, now a junior in the Southwestern State Normal at Weatherford; Gordon Darnell, also a student in that institution; and J. J., living at home with her parents.