J. W. Master
is the pioneer clothing merchant of
Bartlesville. He had the first store of that kind in Bartlesville
when it was a village of only 500 population. As a merchant he has
prospered on the solid foundation of fair and square dealing, and has
done his share toward the development of one of the leading cities of
Northern Oklahoma. Mr. Master has spent the greater part of his life
either in or close to the border of Oklahoma.
J. W. Master was
born in Monroe County, Ohio, August 21, 1871, a son of H. C. and
Sarah J. (Parks) Master. His parents were also natives of Monroe
County, Ohio, and lived there until 1886. They then removed to
Arkansas City, Kansas, and H. C. Master took part in the opening of
the Cherokee Strip in 1893, and was the first man to hold the office
of sheriff in Kay County. In 1894 he returned to Arkansas City, and
in 1913 removed to Ramona, in Washington County, Oklahoma, where he
and his wife now live retired. Practically all his life has been
spent as a general merchant, and he has also dealt in real estate. Ho
is a republican in politics, and has frequently been honored with
positions of trust and responsibility. There were seven children in
the family, three sons and four daughters, one of the latter being
J. W. Master learned
the merchandise business with his father while getting an education
in the public schools. From 1893 to 1903 he was with Newman Dry Goods
Company of Arkansas City, and in the latter year, with a thorough
experience and with more enterprise than capital, came to
Bartlesville and established the first mercantile store handling
men’s clothing. He opened his stock of goods on Second Street, which
was then the only thoroughfare in the village
of 500 people. Subsequently he removed to Johnston Avenue, and now
has the finest store of its kind in Washington County, located at
301-303 Johnston Avenue. He employs from seven to ten clerks and has
a splendid volume of trade. He also owns a store at Ramona, in
Washington County, with a stock of both men’s clothing and dry goods,
and this is conducted by his brother, W. H. Master, as manager.
Formerly he owned a three-quarter interest in a store at Okmulgee,
but sold that.
In August, 1895, Mr.
Master married Miss Ada Nelson of Emporia, Kansas.