Dr. Irving S. Freeman. One of the pioneer families of Tennessee sent its representatives into Texas back in the ’80s when Dr. W. H. Freeman settled in Denton County. He was born in Macon County, Tennessee, in 1855, and went to Denton County in 1884, the following year moving on to Cook County, Texas. There he engaged in the practice of his profession and also conducted a drug store in the Town of Era, where he settled. In 1901 the doctor withdrew from professional activities, moved to Floyd County, Texas, and there engaged in the real estate and loan business. Four years later he came to Cordell, Oklahoma. He is now retired from business, though he owns several alfalfa farms in Floyd County, Texas, and near Rocky, Oklahoma. He is a democrat, and served two terms in the Texas State Legislature in the years 1895-6 and 1897-8. He was county health officer of Floyd County for four years. He is a member of the Masons and the Knights of Pythias, and of the Christian Church.
Doctor Freeman married Laura Seagraves, who was born in Macon County, Tennessee, in 1808. Five children were born to them. Eva died at the age of two years. Dr. Irving S. was their second child. Mary died when three years old. Katy, born in 1897, was graduated in the Cordell High School class of 1915. She is now attending the State University at Norman, Oklahoma. Eunice, born in 1899, is a student in the Cordell High School.
Irving S. Freeman was born in Era, Cook County, Texas, on February 5, 1885. He attended the schools of that county and the Lockney Christian College at Lockney, Tennessee, completing his academic work there in 1904. For two years thereafter he devoted himself to farm life in Floyd County, Texas. He then took a year’s course in pharmaceutics in Texas Christian University at Fort Worth, and in 1906 passed his examinations before the Texas State Board of Pharmacy, receiving his certificate. For a year thereafter he was employed as a pharmacist in Lockney.
In April, 1907, Doctor Freeman came to Oklahoma and was examined before the state board of pharmacy, after which he opened a drug store at Braman, Oklahoma, and was engaged in business there for two years. In 1909 he returned to Fort Worth and entered the medical department of the Texas Christian University once more, and on May 14, 1913, he was graduated with the degree M. D. He was an interne at St. Anthony’s Sanitarium, Amarillo, Texas, for a period of six months, then came to Oklahoma, settling at Texola, and in May, 1914, the Oklahoma Examining Board gave him permission to engage in medical practice in Oklahoma. He remained in Texola a very short time and on February 1, 1914, opened an office in Rocky, where he has since continued in a general medical and surgical practice.
Doctor Freeman is a member of the county, state and medical societies. His politics are democratic and he is a member of the Christian Church. His fraternal affiliations are with the Masons, the Odd Fellows, the Modern Woodmen and the Woodmen of the World. His
Masonic ties are with Rocky Lodge No. 373, Ancient Free and Accepted Masons, and Rocky Chapter 262, Order of the Eastern Star. His college fraternity is the Phi Chi, Chi Iota Chapter.
Doctor Freeman was married on April 27, 1906, in Tonkawa, Oklahoma, to Miss Eva Cook, daughter of C. M. Cook, a locomotive engineer with the Santa Fe for the past thirty years, now residing at Florence, Kansas. One child has been born to Doctor and Mrs. Freeman,– Wilmat, born August 29, 1911.