Henry E. Noble. The
fine little City of Alva, county seat of Woods County, claims as one
of its representative business men and popular citizens the cashier
of the Central State Bank, and this well known figure in financial
circles in this section of the state has proved himself one of the
liberal and progressive men of Alva, where he served as a member of
the city council during the first four years after the municipal
government was carried forward under the city charter.
Mr. Noble, who was
one of the organizers of the bank of which he is cashier, established
his home at Alva in the year 1893, when he came to Woods County as
one of the pioneer settlers upon the opening of the Cherokee Strip.
He opened the first hardware establishment in the ambitious young
village and during the intervening years he has not only kept pace
with but also been a recognized leader in the work of development and
progress in this now thriving little city. Mr. Noble claims the fine
old Badger State as the place of his nativity and is a scion of one
of its sterling pioneer families. He was born at Albany, Green
County, Wisconsin, on the 13th of October, 1856, and is a son of
Edmond B. and Nancy B. (Throop) Noble.
Edmond B. Noble was
born in Wyoming County, New York, on the 10th of September, 1828, and
his parents were natives of New England, within whose borders the
respective families were founded in the colonial era of our national
history. Edmond B. Noble was reared and educated in his native state
and there he continued his residence until he became a pioneer of
Wisconsin. There he followed mercantile pursuits until 1876, when he
removed with his family to Kansas and became one of the pioneer
settlers of Harper County, where he secured a tract of Government
land and where he was actively concerned in the formal
organization of the county. He developed one of the excellent farms
of that section of the Sunflower State and there continued his
residence upon his old homestead until 1888, when he removed to
Medicine Lodge, the judicial center of Barber County, where he
engaged in the mercantile business. In 1900 he came to Woods County,
Oklahoma, and purchased a farm five miles west of Alva, where he
passed the residue of his honorable and useful life and where he died
on the 13th of March, 1912, at the venerable age
of eighty-three years and six months.
He was a consistent member of the Baptist Church and was long in
active affiliation with the Independent Order of Odd Fellows, his
political allegiance having been given to the republican party.
In 1851 was
solemnized the marriage of Edmond B. Noble to Miss Nancy B. Throop,
who was born in Wyoming County, New York, in 1832, and whose death
occurred at Albany, Wisconsin, on the 10th of October, 1876. her
father, Daniel H. Throop, having been a native of Warsaw. Wyoming
County, New York. Of this union were born four children, of whom the
first, Frank, died in infancy: Henry E.. of this review, was the next
in order of birth; Flora May, who was born May 31, 1862, at Albany,
Wisconsin, married, in 1881, James H. McKeevor. their present place
of residence being the City of Wichita. Kansas, and their two
children being Gertrude and Edmond H.; Millie R., who was born at Albany, Wisconsin,
on the 4th of March, 1868, became the wife of Huston H. Case, in
1891, and her death occurred, without issue, on the 4th of July,
1893, in Kansas City, Missouri, her remains being interred in the
cemetery at Medicine Lodge, Kansas.
In 1878 Edmond B.
Noble contracted a second marriage, when he wedded Mrs. Betsie J.
Hoyt, and the two children of this union, Rena and Walter, survive
their father, as does also their mother.
He whose name
introduces this article is indebted to the public schools of his
native village for his early educational training, which was
effectively supplemented by a course in the Worthington Business
College, at Madison, the fair capital city of Wisconsin. In this
institution he was graduated in 1875 and while attending the same he
employed his otherwise leisure hours by serving a thorough
apprenticeship to the tinner’s trade, which he thereafter followed,
as a journeyman, for two years, in the State of Iowa. He then went to
Auburn, New York, where he assumed the position of bookkeeper in the
mill machinery manufacturing establishment of his uncle, Gardiner E.
Throop. After retaining this incumbency two years he returned to the
West, in 1880, in which year he became bookkeeper for an agricultural
implement establishment at Winfield, Kansas, where he remained thus
engaged for a period of five years. In 1885 he removed to Medicine
Lodge, that state, where he engaged in the hardware and implement
business in an independent way and where he continued his operations
in this line until he discerned better opportunities, incidental to
the opening to settlement of the Cherokee Strip in Oklahoma
Territory, in 1893. He was among those who became at that time
pioneers of this now opulent and progressive section of Oklahoma and
at Alva he opened the first hardware store in the new town. He
brought to bear in the enterprise an excellent knowledge of the
business, the strictest principles of fairness and integrity and most
progressive policies, so that, with the
rapid development of the agricultural resources and other business
activities of Woods County, he developed a large, and prosperous
trade. Mr. Noble retired from the hardware and farm implement
business in 1912, and in the following year he became associated with
G. A. Harbaugh, Thomas F. Fennessey and others in the organization of
the Central State Bank of Alva, of which he has since been cashier.
Through his straightforward and careful executive policies this bank
has become one of the stable and popular financial institutions of
Northern Oklahoma, with deposits somewhat in excess of $320,000 at
the opening of the year 1915.
organization of the City of Alva Mr. Noble became a member of its
first municipal council, and of this position he continued the
incumbent four years, but his civic loyalty has been manifested
rather through productive enterprise and ready co-operation in
progressive movements than through the medium of official preferment.
He is one of the resourceful and influential business men and honored
citizens of Woods County and in addition to his banking association
he is exclusive agent for the Buick automobiles in this county. Mr.
Noble has completed the circle of York Rite Masonry, and has attained
to the thirty-second degree in the Ancient Accepted Scottish Rite.
On the 15th of
January, 1882, at Montezuma, Iowa, was solemnized the marriage of Mr.
Noble to Miss Ida A. Norris, who was born in Ohio, on the 24th of
January, 1858, and she is a popular figure in the social activities
of her home community, besides being a zealous member of the
Christian Church. Mr. and Mrs. Noble have three children: Mary Edith,
who was born at Winfield, Kansas, on the 7th of March, 1883, was
afforded the advantages of the
Northwestern State Normal School, at Alva, Oklahoma, and Hardin
College, at Mexico, Missouri. In 1910 she became the wife of Edward
J. Hampton, and they have one child, Noble D., born May 31, 1912;
Ethel J. was born at Medicine Lodge, Kansas, November 21, 1887, is a
graduate of same schools as Mary Edith, and is now the wife of Frank
D. Crowell, concerning whom individual mention is made on other pages
of this publication; and Henry Elbert, Jr., was born December 2,
1899. He is a graduate of the Alva public schools and of the Missouri
Military Academy of Mexico, Missouri.