Henry C. Rogers, M. D. Within the pages of this publication will be found specific recognition of a goodly quota of those earnest and able physicians and surgeons who are effectively upholding the dignity and prestige of their profession in Oklahoma, and to such consideration Doctor Rogers is distinctly entitled, for he is one of the prominent physicians and surgeons engaged in practice in the City of Muskogee and is a broad minded and progressive citizen whose character and achievement have given him impregnable place in popular confidence and good will.
Dr. Henry Collins Rogers was born in the City of Memphis, Tennessee, on the 10th of March, 1867, and is a son of Dr. William E. and Elizabeth (Battle) Rogers, the former a native of North Carolina and the latter of Tennessee. Dr. William E. Rogers, who became one of the distinguished physicians and surgeons of the State of Tennessee, was a boy at the time he accompanied his widowed mother and his two brothers on the family removal from North Carolina to Tennessee, in which latter state he was reared to adult age in Haywood County. In pursuance of the course along which lay his definite ambition, he entered the medical department of the University of Pennsylvania, in which he was graduated with the degree of Doctor of Medicine. When the Civil war was precipitated he promptly signalized his loyalty to the cause of the Confederate States by entering service as surgeon in a Tennessee regiment, in which capacity he served, with all of efficiency and self-abnegation, during the entire period of the great conflict between the North and the South.
After the close of the war Dr. William E. Rogers engaged in the practice of his profession in the City of Memphis, where he rose to a position of eminence as one of the leading representatives of his profession in the State of Tennessee. He was known for his great skill as a surgeon and was a prominent figure in the educational work of his profession. He was the founder of the Memphis Hospital Medical College, which is now the medical department of the University of Tennessee, and in this institution he served as professor of surgery. He passed the closing years of his long and useful life at Memphis and was one of the city’s honored and revered citizens whose influence was always given in support of things that tended to advance the general welfare of the community and whose abiding sympathy and tolerance were on a parity with his recognized intellectual and professional talent. His wife survived him by several years. They became the parents of four sons and three daughters, of whom one son and two daughters are living. Two of the sons, Dr. Sheppard Ash Rogers and Dr. William Bodie Rogers, likewise entered the profession that had been signally honored by the character and services of their father, and both became able and popular members of the faculty of the Memphis Hospital Medical College.
Upon the one surviving son, Dr. Henry C. Rogers, of this review, has devolved the privilege of being the only remaining one of his generation to perpetuate the high professional prestige of the family name, and that he has succeeded most admirably is evident to all who are in the least familiar with his career in his exacting vocation. The Doctor acquired his early education in the schools of his native city and then entered the Memphis Hospital Medical College, in which he was graduated as a member of the class of 1888 and from which he received his well earned degree of Doctor of Medicine. Immediately afterward he further fortified himself by earnest post-graduate work in New York City, after which he went abroad and availed himself of the advantages of the best surgical clinics in the cities of London, Paris, Vienna and Berlin, having been absent in Europe for the greater part of one year.
Upon his return to America, with exceptionally advanced training for his chosen calling, Doctor Rogers engaged in general practice in his native city, but not long afterward he became severely afflicted with asthma and was virtually compelled to seek a change of climate. In 1896 Doctor Rogers became a resident of the vigorous Oklahoma city that is now his home, and here his high professional attainments soon gained to him a large and lucrative practice, the same having constantly expanded in scope and importance with the passing years and his success having given him secure vantage-place as one of the leading physicians and surgeons of the state of his adoption. Close study of the best literature pertaining to his profession has been supplemented by Doctor Rogers through successive post-graduate courses in leading institutions of New York, Chicago and other metropolitan centers, and in all things he exemplified the highest ethics of the profession in which his services have been fruitful in the alleviation of human suffering and distress. The Doctor is an influential and honored member of the Muskogee County Medical Society and the Oklahoma State Medical Society, besides which he is actively identified with the American Medical Association.
In politics Doctor Rogers has always been found arrayed in the ranks of the democratic party and while he has taken a commendable interest in public affairs, especially those pertaining to his home city, county and state, he has considered his profession worthy of his undivided fealty and thus has manifested no ambition for personal preferment along political lines. He is affiliated with the Masonic fraternity and both he and his wife are communicants of the Protestant Episcopal Church, in which he served as a member of the vestry until he felt prompted to resign the office, owing to the exigent demands placed upon his time and attention by his professional work.
In the year 1890, in the City of Memphis, Tennessee, was solemnized the marriage of Doctor Rogers to Miss Helen Clayton, daughter of Henry D. Clayton, who was a distinguished soldier of the Confederacy during the Civil war and who was president of the University of Alabama at the time of his death.