Henry Clay Lloyd, M. D. One of the earliest members
of the medical profession to locate at Hobart was Dr. Henry Clay
Lloyd, whose high standing in the professional circles of that part
of Oklahoma is based upon fifteen years of continuous and excellent
service. He has been an interested and active witness in the
development of Southwestern Oklahoma and wherever possible has cast
his influence with movements for further
An Ohio man by
birth, he was born at Milford February 5, 1877. The Lloyds originally
came from Wales, were pioneers in the Middle West, and Doctor Lloyd’s
grandfather, Allen Lloyd, died at Indianapolis in 1910 at advanced
years. For a number of years he had followed the business of florist.
Thomas A. Lloyd, father of the doctor, was born in Ohio in 1834 and
died at Indianapolis in 1888. On first leaving Ohio he moved to
Tennessee, then returned to his native state, and became a merchant
at Milford, where his son Doctor Lloyd was born, and in 1882 moved to
Indianapolis, where he became connected with the Eagle Machine Works.
He was a republican and was very active in the Baptist Church,
serving as one of its officials for many years. Thomas A. Lloyd
married Anna West, who was born in Ohio in 1849 and now lives at
Terrace Park, Ohio, a suburb of Cincinnati. The five children were:
Huber A., a resident of Terrace Park, Ohio; Samuel W., also of
Terrace Park, Ohio; William T., of Terrace Park, Ohio; and John W.,
who resides at Milford, Ohio.
The youngest of the
family, Dr. Henry Clay Lloyd received his early education in the
public schools of Milford and was graduated from the high school
there in 1895. He soon afterwards entered the University of
Cincinnati in the medical department and continued until graduating
M. D. in 1901. In that year, which also coincided with the opening of
the Kiowa and Comanche Reservation in Southwestern Oklahoma, he
opened his office in Hobart and from that time to the present has
looked after his increasing business in general medical and surgical
practice. His offices are in the Flaxman Building on Fourth Street.
His many friends in the medical profession in Kiowa County have
honored him by election to the office of president and also secretary
of the County Medical Society, and he is a member of the Oklahoma
State Medical Society and the American Medical Association.
voting has always been with the republican party. Fraternally he is
affiliated with Hobart Lodge No. 198, Ancient Free and Accepted
Masons; Hobart Chapter No. 37, Royal Arch Masons; Hobart Council,
Royal and Select Masons; with Hobart Lodge 2775, Brotherhood of
American Yeomen; Hobart Lodge No. 881, Benevolent and Protective
Order of Elks; and he was formerly a member of the Independent Order
of Odd Fellows and the Woodmen of the World. His name is also found
on the rolls of membership in the Hobart Commercial Club.
In 1910, at Oklahoma
City, Doctor Lloyd married Miss Louise Brady, daughter of W. C.
Brady, a well known business man living at Oklahoma City. To their
marriage has been born one daughter, Marie Louise.