G. O. Webb, M. D. Contemporaneous with the growth and development of Temple has been the residence and professional service of Doctor Webb, who has been in continuous practice at that locality for nearly fifteen years and deserves all the prestige which goes with an old established physician.
Doctor Webb was born at Paragould, Benton County, Arkansas, June 13, 1875. The Webb family is of Scotch-Irish descent, was located in America before the Revolution, and became identified with the pioneer settlement of Tennessee. Doctor Webb’s grandfather was John L. Webb, who was born in Tennessee and died at Trenton in that state at the age of seventy-two. He was a planter and slave owner. L. L. Webb, father of Doctor Webb, was born at Trenton, Tennessee, in 1838, and from that community removed to Paragould, Arkansas, and in 1877 established the home of the family at Cleburn in Johnson County, Texas, but in 1883 again removed to Mansfield, Texas. In 1902 he came to Temple, Oklahoma, and is now living retired in that town, after a long and active career as a farmer and stock man. He is a democrat, but at the beginning of tho Civil war enlisted in the twelfth regiment of Tennessee Infantry, Company C, of the Confederate army. He was captured in the Battle of Shiloh and was sent to Libby prison and for nearly three years was kept a prisoner by the Federals, until the close of the war. He is a member of the Methodist Church. L. L. Webb married Mary E. Graham, who was born in Arkansas in 1854. Their children are: Etta, wife of J. C. Martin, a farmer at Henderson, Texas; Robert, who is a farmer near Temple, Oklahoma; Dr. G. O.; Lee, a railway employe at Temple; Eva, wife of Ed Burnett, a farmer near Temple.
Two years of age when the family removed to Texas, Doctor Webb acquired a public school education in the country schools in the northern part of that state and in 1894 was graduated from the high school at Mansfield. Thenceforward he pursued his schooling almost continuously until fitted for his profession. In 1896 he was graduated Bachelor of Science from the Southwestern University at Georgetown, Texas, spent two years in the medical department of the State University of Texas, and after another two years at Tulane Medical College in New Orleans, was graduated M. D. in 1901. Since beginning his practice he spent several months in 1907 in post-graduate work at the College of Physicians and Surgeons in Chicago, specializing in surgery. Doctor Webb began his practice at Temple in 1901, practically with the founding of the town, and his business and reputation have grown in proportion to the development of that center of population and surrounding territory. His offices are in the Temple Drug Store on Commercial Street. For the past four years Doctor Webb has been local surgeon for the Rock Island Railway Company, and is a member in good standing of both the County and State Medical societies.
For six years he served in the city council, and was a member of the school board four years. Doctor Webb is a democrat, is affiliated with the Knights of Pythias and the Woodmen of the World at Temple and is popular in all classes of citizens.
In 1903 at Fort Worth, Texas, Doctor Webb married Miss Lena Tatum, whose father was John Tatum, now deceased, a farmer by occupation. Three children have been born to their marriage: Helen, Harold and Agatha, all three of whom are attending the public schools at Temple.