F. E. Walker, M. D. It is just eleven years since Dr.
F. E. Walker came to Lone Wolf, a young physician, barely a year out
of medical school. His rise has been
steady, consistent with his talent and
devotion to his profession, and today he has a splendid standing in
the community. Doctor Walker is a native of Alabama, born in Plevna,
that state, on November 28, 1875, and he is a son of Rev. W. J. and
Nannie (Jones) Walker.
Reverend Walker was
one of the strong men of his day in that he spent his life in a fight
for the right. He was born in Plevna, Alabama, in 1847, and died
there in 1909. He was a Cumberland
Presbyterian preacher, and was pastor at Plevna for many years. He
also traveled much as an evangelist preacher for his denomination
throughout the southern states, and was widely known for his good
works. Always a staunch prohibitionist, he fought the good fight with
all his might, and when he died in the town of his birth he was
mourned by all. His wife was a daughter of Col. Bill Jones, who was
concerned in bringing the Cherokee Indians from Alabama to the
Cherokee Strip in Oklahoma. She, too, was born in Plevna, Alabama, in
1849. and died there in 1900. They were the parents of eight
children. Herbert L. is a Presbyterian minister, and missionary for
the State of Alabama. Like his father, he has come out strong for the
prohibition cause, and he is well known in prominent circles in his
state for his attacks on the liquor and cigarette traffic. He has his
home in Russellville, Alabama. Madeline married G. B. Warren, a
farmer, near Branchville, Alabama. F. E. Walker was the third child.
Edgar is a grocer and has a business in Birmingham, Alabama. Mary
married William Miller, the proprietor of a foundry in Nashville,
Tennessee. J. E. Walker is a physician and surgeon at Huntsville,
Alabama. C. J. lives at Plevna, Alabama, and is a farmer there. H. O.
is a student in the University of Alabama, and is in preparation for
a career in medicine.
attended school in Plevna and was graduated from the high.school in
1892. He then entered Cumberland University, at Lebanon, Tennessee,
and was graduated in the class of 1897, with the degree A. B. He took
a position as principal of the high school at Gurley, Alabama, and
after a year in that work entered Grant University at Chattanooga,
Tennessee. He was graduated from the medical department with the
class of 1900 and his M. D. degree was conferred upon him at that
time. Doctor Walker’s first practice was in Kelso, Tennessee, where
he was located for one year. In 1901, about August 5th, he came to
Oklahoma, settled at Hobart, and remained there for about six weeks,
when he determined to move to Lone Wolf, his present location. That
change proved itself an advantageous one, and from that time he has
been busily engaged in his profession, his practice being a general
medical and surgical one. He has his offices in what is known as the
"Live and Let Live Drug Store." This store was established
in 1908, but in 1912 Doctor Walker bought out the proprietor and has
since conducted it himself.
Doctor Walker has
been prominent in Lone Wolf, not alone as a medical man, but in its
civic life, He is a democrat and served as town treasurer during the
first four years after it was incorporated. He has been a member of
the council for three years and at the present time he is filling the
office of health physician for the town.
The doctor is a
member of the Presbyterian Church, the faith in which he was reared,
and his fraternal connections are with the Modern Woodmen, the
Woodmen of the World, the Odd Fellows and the Knights of Pythias. In
a professional way he is connected with the Kiowa County, Oklahoma
State and American Medical societies.
In 1900 Doctor
Walker was married at Kelso, Tennessee, to Miss Susie Edwards,
daughter of A. O. Edwards, a Confederate veteran, now deceased. They
have no children.