Ernest Sullivan, M. D. The allied professions of medicine and surgery have a capable and worthy representative at Pauls Valley, Oklahoma, in the person of Dr. Ernest Sullivan, who was in practice at Maysville until March, 1916, when he moved to Pauls Valley. Doctor Sullivan belongs to the old North Carolina family of that name, and was born at Decatur, Alabama, July 16, 1881, a son of W. E. and Josephine (Stover) Sullivan.
W. E. Sullivan, his father, was born at Decatur, Alabama, in 1853, and in 1887 removed as a pioneer to Italy, Ellis County, Texas, where he now makes his home, being engaged in farming and the raising of stock. He is an active member of the Baptist Church, a democrat in his political views, and is a man of standing and influence in his community. He married Josephine Stover, who was born at Decatur, Alabama, in 1853, and they have had eight children, as follows: C. L., who is a graduate of Barnes Medical University and now engaged in the practice of medicine and surgery at Elmore City, Oklahoma; Ernest; Lulu, who married E. G. Grafton, who is connected with the state educational department at Austin, Texas; Avis, who is the wife of Sam Watson, of Italy, Texas, a dealer in farm loans, real estate and blooded horses; E. S., a physician and surgeon of Oklahoma City, with offices in the Colcord Building, and a graduate of Barnes University; Charles, a student at Baylor Medical College. Dallas, Texas; Robert L., a graduate of the University of Texas, Austin, and now a practicing attorney at Waxahachie, Texas: and Tullie, a graduate of the Denton (Texas) State Normal School and now residing with her parents.
Ernest Sullivan attended the public schools of Italy, Texas, and the high school at Waxahachie, and in October, 1900, entered the medical department of Barnes University, St. Louis, Missouri, where he studied for one year. In 1901 he located at Antioch, Oklahoma, on Push Creek, six miles south of Maysville, and there began practice, continuing at that point until 1909. In the meantime he had completed his college course and had received his degree of Doctor of Medicine from Barnes University May 10, 1907. Doctor Sullivan located in Maysville in 1909 and in March, 1916, moved to Pauls Valley, Oklahoma, having a splendid general medical and surgical practice, which is steadily growing in size and importance. He is a close student of his calling, a sure practitioner and a steady-handed surgeon and keeps fully abreast of the advancements being made in medicine and surgery. His offices are located in the First National Bank Building at Pauls Valley. In 1915 Doctor Sullivan took a general course in post-graduate work at Chicago. A democrat in politics, his only public office has been that of health officer, a position in which he served for four years. His religious faith is that of the Baptist Church. Fraternally, he belongs to Maysville Lodge No. 242, Ancient, Free and Accepted Masons; Valley of Guthrie Consistory No. 1, thirty-second degree; Lodge No. 1252, Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks, of Pauls Valley; and Camp No. 242, Woodmen of tho World, Maysville. He is a stockholder in the First National Bank of Maysville and has various other interests.
Mr. Sullivan was married at Italy, Texas, in 1908, to Miss Queen Colley, daughter of Dr. J. C. Colley, a physician and surgeon now located at Marietta, Oklahoma. Two children have been born to Doctor and Mrs. Sullivan, namely: Joseph Harold, born November 26, 1909, and now attending the public school; and Mary Josephine, born March 30, 1913.