Judge D. A. McDougal. For
the past twelve years Judge McDougal has been not only one of the
leading lawyers of the City of Sapulpa, but has been one of the live
and pushing citizens who have brought that town into prominence as an
important commercial center in Eastern Oklahoma. He is now senior
member of the firm of McDougal, Lytle & Allen, lawyers in
Sapulpa, but has many interests by which he is identified with this
great new state.
Of a Tennessee
family, he was born at Wayland Springs in that state, January 14,
1865, a son of Dr. J. F. and Mary Davis (Carmack) McDougal. His
father was born in Alabama and his mother in Mississippi. Doctor
McDougal was reared in Tennessee, and spent most of his active career
there, where he practiced medicine for a great many years. The mother
died in that state in September, 1880. She was born in 1822. Doctor
McDougal was born July 16, 1820, and died in 1905, being buried
on his eighty-fifth birthday.
The youngest in a
large family of thirteen children, Judge McDougal grew up in the Town
of Savannah, Tennessee, to which place the family removed in 1871.
With the exception of one year spent in the Vanderbilt University at
Nashville, he acquired his education at Savannah, first in the public
schools and later became a student of law. He was admitted to the bar
in 1886, and for eleven years practiced at Selmer, Tennessee.
Returning to Savannah in 1896 he remained there in the enjoyment of a
large and profitable clientage until 1903, in which year he became a
permanent resident of Sapulpa. At that time Sapulpa had a population
of only 2,o00, and was a town of possibilities rather than
actualities. While building up a practice as a lawyer, Judge McDougal
has kept himself constantly alert in behalf of the general advantages
and advancement of his home city. His administration as mayor of
Sapulpa from May, 1909, to October, 1910, is well remembered and
stands to his credit. While mayor he took an active part in the
campaign to secure a commission form of government and thus served as
the last mayor under the old regime. He is well known in the
democratic party in Eastern Oklahoma and served as a presidential
elector in 1908. For several years he was president of the Sapulpa
Commercial Club, and while in that office, and always as a member,
has done much to secure new factories for the town. Judge McDougal
has some interest in Oklahoma oil fields, and derives some revenues
He is a trustee of
the Methodist Episcopal Church, South, is a member of the Masonic
Order and the Knights of Pythias, and belongs to the County, State
and American Bar associations. He is one of the three Oklahoma
members on the commission on Uniform State Laws.
On February 12,
1888, Judge McDougal married Miss Myrtle Archer, of Baldwin,
Mississippi. Judge McDougal is properly proud of his three daughters.
Myrtle A., the oldest, is now the wife of Hugh J. MacKay, and
both are graduates of the School of Journalism at Columbia, Missouri,
and still live there, where Mr. MacKay is manager for the University
of Missouri Publications. Mary Carmack, the second daughter, is now
at home, having graduated from the North Texas Female College at
Sherman, while she and her younger sister were also students in the
Oklahoma University at Norman. Violet A.,
the youngest, is now a student in the University of Missouri.
Mrs. McDougal has
been one of the active leaders in women’s movements in Oklahoma, and
was formerly president of the Indian Territory Federation of Women’s
Clubs, and also served as president of the Oklahoma State Federation
of Clubs from November, 1911, to November, 1913. Though Judge
McDougal did not become a resident of Oklahoma until 1903, he was a
participant in some of the earlier land openings here. In 1893 he was
at the opening of the Cherokee Strip, and slept on the bare ground at
Perry on the night after the opening. In 1901 he was also at the
Kiowa and Comanche opening.