Clinton F. Clarke. As a
member of one of the oldest families in America, Clinton F. Clarke
traces his ancestry to Thomas Clarke, a native of old England and a
mate on the maiden voyage of the Mayflower to this country. Thomas
Clarke settled at Harwich, Massachusetts, and it is worthy of note
here that Clarke Island in Plymouth Harbor was named after him. Among
his numerous descendants are many patriotic Americans who have served
illustriously in our various wars. William Thomas Clarke, father of
the subject of this sketch, was for four years a soldier in the Union
army during the Civil war. He enlisted in the First Nebraska
Volunteer Cavalry, from which he was later transferred and promoted
to the rank of assistant adjutant general, under General Clinton B.
Fiske, with headquarters at St. Louis, Missouri. He saw considerable
active service and participated in a number of important battles. He
was born in Manlius, New York, in 1833, and passed to eternal rest at
Arnold Park, Dickinson County, Iowa, August 15, 1890. He was reared
to adult age in his native place and as a young man journeyed west to
Omaha, Nebraska. Later he married Kate Crippen Fisk, a native of
Coldwater, Michigan, where her birth occurred in 1843. In 1879 Mr.
Clarke removed, with his family, to Des Moines, Iowa, and there he
was most successfully engaged in the insurance business until his
demise at his summer home, Arnold Park.
He was a republican
in politics, was affiliated with the time honored Masonic fraternity
and in religious matters was a devout communicant of St. Paul’s
Episcopal Church, of Des Moines. His devoted wife survived him for
more than a score of years, her death occurring at Des Moines in the
spring in 1912. Three children were born to Mr. and Mrs. Clarke:
William Thomas is western representative of the Home Insurance
Company of New York, his home and business headquarters being at Des
Moines; Clinton F., of this notice; and Robert Lincoln, who died in
In the City of
Omaha, Nebraska, June 7, 1869, occurred the birth of Clinton F.
Clarke, who was ten years of age at the time of his parents’ removal
to Des Moines, Iowa, in which latter place he received a good
common-school education. For three years he attended the Shattuck
Military School, at Faribault, Minnesota, and in 1896 he entered the
banking business in Des Moines as a clerk in the Citizens National
Bank, with which concern he was connected for the ensuing five years.
In 1900 he became assistant cashier of the Citizens National Bank at
Winterset, Iowa, continuing as such until 1906. He then engaged in
the real-estate business in Des Moines and devoted his attention to
that line of enterprise, with marked success, until 1911, when he
re-entered the banking business as special clerk for the Iowa
National Bank. In the fall of 1913 he came to Anadarko, representing
a syndicate of five banks, as collector, his offices being at No. 123
Broadway. He owes political allegiance to the republican party, is an
ex-member of the Masonic fraternity, and belongs to the U. S. Grant
Lodge of the Modern Woodmen of America, at Des Moines. Mr. Clarke is
a capable business man and he is a loyal and public-spirited citizen,
giving a stalwart support to all matters projected for the betterment
of his home community.
In the fall of 1896,
in Des Moines, Iowa, was solemnized the marriage of Mr. Clarke to
Miss Edna G. Sedwick, a daughter of William C. Sedwick, who is a
traveling salesman with residence at Hiawatha, Kansas. Mr. and Mrs.
Clarke have two daughters: Mary Ethel, a sophomore in high school at
Anadarko; and Henrietta Catherine, a seventh-grade pupil in this