The great western metropolis of Oklahoma
City contains many able men who have made the law the vocation of
their lives. That all should be equally successful in such a career
would be an impossibility; the profession’s prizes are few and far
between, and the fortunate must needs be gifted with qualifications
of a diversified character, exceptional legal ability, ready
perception and power of intellect capable of dominating and
controlling their fellow men. Among the representative legists of
Oklahoma there are but few who possess these necessary
characteristics in a higher degree than Claude Nowlin, of Oklahoma
City, whose rapid and steady advancement has brought him to a
foremost place in the ranks of his calling.
Mr. Nowlin has the
distinction of being a Texan by nativity, his birth having occurred
April 11, 1881, in Kerr County, and his parents being Dr. James
Crispin and Elizabeth (Gathing) Nowlin. The father, a native of
Kentucky, came west to Texas in 1855, and for many years followed the
profession of physician and surgeon, being identified in this
capacity for a long period with the famous Texas Rangers. He
attained distinction both in his profession and as a citizen, and
died in 1898. Mrs. Nowlin, who still survives, makes her home in
After attending the
common schools of Kerr County, Texas, Claude Nowlin took his academic
course in a normal school, and then, following some preparation,
entered upon his legal studies in the law department of the
University of Texas, from which institution he was graduated in 1902,
with the degree of Bachelor of Laws. He was at once admitted to the
bar and began his practice in Center, Shelby county, Texas, where he
secured valuable experience, and in 1903 came to Oklahoma City, where
he has since built up a large and representative legal business. His
success, though steady, has been gradual, and the legal mind, the
persuasive manner, the sagacity, the deep learning and the ready wit
have all combined to place him in his present high position. Mr.
Nowlin practiced alone until 1908. when he became associated with the
firm of Harris & Wilson, and when that combination was dissolved,
in 1910, formed a connection with Mr. S. H. Harris, the firm becoming
as at present, Harris & Nowlin, with offices at No. 214
Pioneer Building. During the time of his residence in Oklahoma City,
Mr. Nowlin has represented some very important interests. From 1904
until 1908, he was the special representative of the Reeves Threshing
Machine Company, for the State of Oklahoma, and since January 1,
1914, he has been general attorney of the Pioneer Telegraph &
Telephone Company. He holds membership in the Oklahoma State Bar
Association, the Oklahoma County Bar Association, and the American
Bar Association, and enjoys a high standing among his
fellow-practitioners. Fraternally, he is connected with Lodge No.
417, Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks, of Oklahoma City, of
which he was exalted ruler in 1914; with Oklahoma City Lodge No. 36,
A. F. &A.
M., and with Oklahoma Lodge No. 8, Independent Order of Odd Fellows.
On November 12,
1903, Mr. Nowlin was united in marriage with Miss Margaret Hooper,
daughter of Robert Bolen and Eliza Hooper, of Timpson, Texas, Mr.
Hooper being one of the early pioneers of the Lone Star State. Two
sons have been born to this union: Henry, September 1, 1904; and
Robert, March 23, 1910. The pleasant family residence is located at
No. 1115 West Thirty-third Street.