Clarous R. Johnston. It is not necessary that the man who achieves success be made of sterner stuff than his fellow man but there are certain indispensable characteristics that contribute to the prosperity of the individual; these are energy, enterprise and determination and the ability to recognize and improve opportunities. These qualities are cardinal elements in the character of Judge Clarous R. Johnston and have accompanied him on his progress from a humble station in life to one of prominence and affluence. Self educated, inasmuch as he made his own way through school, his career as a successful attorney is most interesting. He is judge of Caddo County and resides in the City of Anadarko.
In Monroe County, Indiana, September 2-1, 1880, occurred the birth of Clarous R. Johnston, a son of A. H. and Debbie J. (Morgan) Johnston. The father was born in Harrodsburg, Indiana, in 1857, and he has been a farmer and stock raiser in the vicinity of that place during the entire period of his active career. He is a stalwart democrat and for four years gave efficient service as trustee of his home township. He is an elder in the Methodist Episcopal Church, of which both he and his wife are devout members. Mrs. Johnston was born in Harrodsburg, Indiana, in 1856, and she and her husband are parents of the following children: Clarous R., of this notice; Dr. R. E. was graduated in the Louisville Medical College of Kentucky and is successfully engaged in the practice of his profession at Bridgeport, Oklahoma; Gertrude is the wife of W. W. Wilson, an electrician in Indianapolis; Hansel T. is a merchant in Indianapolis; Goldie was graduated in the Indianapolis Conservatory of Music in 1915 and resides at the parental home; O. A. is studying dentistry in Indianapolis; Bessie is the wife of Claude Rogers, manager of a wholesale grocery concern in Arizona; Mary is a junior in high school at Smithville, Indiana; and Ava, Truly and Catherine are pupils in the public school of Harrodsburg.
Judge Johnston was graduated in the Harrodsburg High School in 1896 and for six years thereafter was engaged in teaching school in Monroe County, Indiana, serving a part of the time as principal. During the spring and summer terms of the last three years of that period he attended the University of Indiana and in that way completed his freshman year in college. In 1902 he was matriculated in the university as a regular student and in 1905 was graduated in the law department, with the degree of Bachelor of Laws. He initiated the active practice of his profession at Bloomington, Indiana, and in 1906 located at Bedford, Indiana, remaining in the latter place until 1909. In December of that year he came to Caddo County, Oklahoma, and after spending a couple months in Bridgeport he settled permanently in Anadarko, here entering into a partnership alliance with R. K. Robinson. In May, 1912, he became interested in politics and was induced to run for the office of judge of Caddo County on the democratic ticket. Owing to political exigencies he was defeated and he continued in his law practice until the spring of 1913, when he was elected city attorney. November 6, 1914, he again entered the race for the county judgeship and met with success at the polls. He resigned his office as city attorney in order to assume the responsibilities of his new and more important office and he is proving unusually capable and energetic as county judge. For one who had his own way to make on the ladder of achievement his rise has been rapid and spectacular, showing that he possesses the ability and determination to make the best of adverse circumstances and forge ahead in spite of obstacles which beset his path. While in college he was truant officer of Monroe County, Indiana, for one year, being the only democrat in office at that time.
December 28, 1911, at Bedford, Indiana, Mr. Johnston was united in marriage to Miss Lulu G. Cobb, a daughter of C. H. Cobb, a retired business man at Bedford. Judge and Mrs. Johnson have one daughter, Mary Frances, whose birth occurred September 22, 1912. In religious faith the Johnstons are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church.