Clark Barton Johnson. The owner, publisher and editor of the Sequoyah County Democrat, president of the town board of trustees of Sallisaw, and owner of extensive agricultural interests, Clark Barton Johnson has taken an active part in business, political and civic affairs at Sallisaw since his arrival in 1904, and although failing health has curtailed his activities to some extent in recent years, continues to be a stirring and helpful factor in those enterprises and movements which are advancing the welfare of this flourishing Sequoyah County community.
Mr. Johnson is a son of the late distinguished Confederate leader, Gen. William A. Johnson, who served with gallantry under the intrepid Forrest. General Johnson was born in Colbert County, Alabama, in 1832, and prior to the war between the states was a steamboat captain on the Tennessee River, between Florence, Alabama, and Paducah, Kentucky. He was one of eight brothers to enter the Confederate army and was the only one to come out of the Civil war alive, and his service was one of continued bravery and achievement, he entering the service as a scout and leaving it as a brigadier-general. When the war closed he resumed his operations as a steamboat captain, became president of the Paducah Packet Company, and was subsequently a cotton planter and dealer, his fine abilities enabling him to become very wealthy. At his death, which occurred at Tuscumbia, Alabama, in 1895, he left an estate valued at $2,000,000. General Johnson was prominent in civic affairs and in politics was a leader in the councils of the democratic party, but did not seek political preferment. He married Miss Kate M. Barton, and they became the parents of six sons and five daughters.
Clark Barton Johnson was born at Tuscumbia, Alabama, April 9, 1878, and was reared and received his early education in his native place. In 1896 he was graduated from Washington and Lee University, at Lexington, Virginia, with the degree of Bachelor of Arts, and for four years was engaged in merchandising in Alabama. He came to Sallisaw, Oklahoma, in 1904, and at once entered actively into business life, becoming the proprietor of a mercantile establishment which is still in operation under his direction. As a financier he has served as vice president of the Sallisaw Bank and Trust Company, and has also been manager of the Sallisaw Electric Light and Water plant, but recently has retired from many of his active business cares because of poor health. Not long ago he became owner, publisher and editor of the Sequoyah County Democrat, which under his able management has become one of the successful and influential newspapers of this part of the state. As a democrat Mr. Johnson has been active in politics since coming to Oklahoma, having been chairman of the democratic central committee for nearly five years. He has always been ready to contribute of his abilities to the welfare of the community and is ably discharging the duties of citizenship in the capacity of president of the Sallisaw town board of trustees. His agricultural holdings include broad acres in several Oklahoma counties. Mr. Johnson is a member of the Knights of Pythias and prominent in Masonry, having attained to the thirty-second degree, Scottish Rite, and is the 1915 president of the Lincoln Memorial Class. With Mrs. Johnson, he belongs to the Presbyterian Church.
In 1905 Mr. Johnson was married to Miss Jessie M. Turner, of Sallisaw, and they have two sons: William A. and Clark Barton, Jr.