Clarence H. Tingley. A young man whose study and experience has made him proficient in the domain of electrical engineering of practical order, Mr. Tingley not only had the supervision of the construction of the electric light and power plant and waterworks system in the thriving little industrial town of Sand Springs, Tulsa County, but has served as superintendent of the plant from the time of its completion and has also been further honored in being chosen the first mayor of the thriving little city after its incorporation, in which office ho served two terms.
Clarence Harvey Tingley was born in Sullivan County, Missouri, on the 26th of November, 1881, and is a son of William Thomas and Mary Matilda (Kelley) Tingley, who are still residents of that state, their marriage having been solemnized in Sullivan County, where Mrs. Tingley was born and reared. William T. Tingley was born on his father’s farm in Trumbull County, Ohio, in the year 1845, and the place of his nativity now includes a considerable portion of the fine little City of Warren, the judicial center of the county and one of the thriving and attractive industrial centers of the historic old Western Reserve. William T. Tingley was a boy at the time of his parents’ removal to Kansas, in the late ’40s, and his father became one of the early pioneer farmers of that state. There William T. was reared to maturity, his educational advantages being those offered by the pioneer schools, and there he eventually engaged in farming and stock-growing in an independent way. Finally he removed to Sullivan County, Missouri, where he purchased tracts of hardwood timber and engaged in the manufacturing of lumber. He developed a prosperous business and became one of the successful men of affairs in that section. He finally removed to Putnam County, where he and his wife still reside. They became the parents of six children, all of whom are living, and of the number the subject of this sketch was the third in order of birth.
He whose name introduces this article acquired his early education in the public schools of Putnam County, Missouri, and as a lad he began to assist in the work of his father’s saw mill. When seventeen years of age he put his scholastic attainments to practical use by engaging in teaching in the district schools, and he devoted two terms to such service in the pedagogic profession. He then served a practical apprenticeship in the plant of the electric power and light company at Unionville, the county seat of Putnam County, and he continued in the service of this company seven years. He then found employment in the testing department of the establishment of the Maxwell Motor Company, manufacturers of automobiles, at Newcastle, Indiana, and after having been thus engaged about one year he came, in 1909, to Oklahoma, and established his residence at Tulsa, where he served about nine months as city electrician. He then engaged in the automobile business in that city, where he conducted a well appointed garage until April 26, 1911, when he removed to Sand Springs to take charge of the construction of the municipal light, power and water plant, of which he has been superintendent since the same was placed in active operation. He was elected the first mayor of the ambitious young city and has retained this office by successive re-elections to the time of this writing, with ardent desire to do all in his power to further the development and progress of the town and to promote the best interests of the community in general. At Unionville, Missouri, Mr. Tingley is still affiliated with Unionville Lodge, No. 210, Ancient Free & Accepted Masons, and he holds membership also in the Knights of Pythias. He was reared in the faith of the democratic party and is aligned as a staunch advocate of its principles.
Mr. Tingley was married September 14, 1904, to Miss Laura Torrey and they have two children: Edison and Clarence H., Jr.