Charles S. Macdonald. During
an active law practice in Oklahoma for more than ten years, most of
which time has been spent at Pawhuska, Mr. Macdonald has enjoyed the
rewards and distinctions which come to a lawyer of his solid ability
and thorough training. Much credit is given him at Pawhuska for his
constructive work as city attorney during the period while Pawhuska
was transforming itself from a village into a city.
For a young man Mr.
Macdonald has seen much of the world and has lived up to his
opportunities. He was born at Atchison, Kansas, September 14, 1877, a
son of Alexander and Mary (Cleland) Macdonald. His father was born in
Edinburgh, Scotland, and was married in Belfast, Ireland, to a native
of that city, though also of Scotch parentage. Soon after their
marriage they emigrated to the United States,
locating in New York City, where for a time he was superintendent of
an iron and wire works. From there he removed to Kansas, and has
lived in various sections of the Middle West, part of the time in
Minneapolis, Minnesota, and
is now a resident of
Kansas City, Missouri. Tor the greater part of his active life he was
a merchant, but for the past fifteen or twenty years he has been a
practicing member of the bar. In the family were six sons, among whom
Charles S. was the third in order of age. The others are: R. D., of
Lima, Ohio; A. B., of Chillicothe, Missouri; W. S. of Joplin,
Missouri; George S., who is a traveling man with residence at
Chillicothe, Missouri; and William, a jeweler and engraver.
From the city of his
birth, Charles S. Macdonald went to Wichita, Kansas, and was with his
father in Western Kansas during the boom days. He also spent part of
his early career in Texas and Old Mexico, and for a time was with the
Kansas City, Mexico & Orient Railroad, during its construction.
He was also a rancher in Texas for a time. Mr. Macdonald took his
higher education in the Valparaiso University, in Indiana, where he
spent two years, and in 1899 was graduated LL.B. from the law
department of the University of Kansas, being admitted by the Supreme
Court of that state the same year. Since then he has been in the
practice of law, located up to 1904 in Galena, Kansas. On moving to
Oklahoma he became associated with C. J. Wrightsman, at Pawnee. The
firm of Wrightsman & Fulton had offices both at Pawnee and
Pawhuska, and Mr. Macdonald had charge of the Pawhuska office, under
the firm name of Wrightsman, Palmer & Macdonald, at Pawhuska,
Oklahoma, and has lived in that city since 1905. Later Mr. Macdonald
and R. B. Boone bought out the firm’s law business at Pawhuska in
1907, and the firm was Boone & Macdonald for a time, later Boone,
Leahy & Macdonald, and since December, 1911, has been Leahy &
Macdonald. This is one of the leading law firms in Osage County.
In politics Mr.
Macdonald has always been identified with the democratic cause. His
four years of service as city attorney of Pawhuska was during the
constructive era, and he drew up all the important ordinances and
bond issues, and in other ways furnished valuable legal advice to the
municipal government. While he was in office bonds were issued for
city waterworks, light plant, sewers, schools, and for other
purposes. During the campaign of Mr. Williams for governor of
Oklahoma. Mr. Macdonald was his special committeeman in Osage County,
and did much campaigning in other sections of the state. He is a
member of the Oklahoma State Bar Association and fraternally is
identified with both the York and Scottish rites of Masonry,
including the thirty-second degree; the Benevolent and Protective
Order of Elks, the Ancient Order of United Workmen and the Knights of
Pythias. He belongs to Nu Chapter, Sigma Nu Fraternity, and to Green
Chapter, Phi Delta Phi, of the University of Kansas.
In April, 1906, Mr.
Macdonald married Anna Hubner of Lawrence, Kansas. Mrs. Macdonald is
of German parentage.