Charles P. Linn


Charles P. Linn, M. D. A physician and surgeon and owner of a well equipped and splendidly managed hospital at Holdenville, Doctor Linn has many distinctions as a pioneer physician of old Indian Territory. He has been in practice in this section of the state for more than a quarter of a century.
He was one of the organizers of the first medical society in Indian Territory, which was known as the Indian Territory Medical Society at Muskogee. For a number of years he practiced at Claremore, and was the first local surgeon of the Missouri Pacific Railway there, and afterwards was the first local physician to the Choctaw Railroad of the Rock Island System at Wewoka.
It was more than thirty years ago that Doctor Linn graduated in medicine and began his professional career. He was born at Osceola, Missouri, October 14, 1860, a son of H. W. and Mary Elizabeth (Harrison) Linn. His father was born in Glasgow, Kentucky, and is now, at the venerable age of eighty-six, living at Pueblo, Colorado. The mother was born in Missouri, and is now eighty-four years of age. Doctor Linn’s father spent nearly all his life as a farmer and during his active career in Vernon County, Missouri, served two terms as recorder of deeds. He also took an active part in business affairs, was a merchant and was also in the banking business in Vernon County. Doctor Linn was the second in a family of seven children, the others being named as follows: A. W. Linn, who is secretary and bookkeeper of the Interurban Overall and Shirt Company at Sherman, Texas; Mary Smith of South McAlester; John, a miner at Pueblo, Colorado; Maria Tribble of Trinidad, Colorado; Marvin, of Pueblo, Colorado, and Maude, who died when eighteen months old.
Doctor Linn was reared and received his early education in Vernon County, Missouri. When quite young he entered the University of Louisville in the medical department, and was graduated M. D. in 1883. His practical work as a physician began at his old home in Missouri, but from there in 1887 he moved to Indian Territory, and for several years looked after a widely extended practice at Claremore. In 1891 he was appointed national physician to the Seminole Indians, and with his home and headquarters at Wewoka retained that office until statehood. It was a position which offered a variety of interesting experience, and Doctor Linn has many interesting anecdotes to relate of the old time Indians and of the experiences of a white doctor during the early days of Indian Territory. After some special courses in medicine and surgery in New York City Doctor Linn located at Oklahoma City, and for six years practiced there, making diseases of women his specialty. Failing health caused him to leave Oklahoma City, and in February, 1914, he located at Holdenville and established the Holdenville Hospital. This institution under his management has become very popular and supplies a great need in Hughes County. It is a thoroughly equipped, modern, sanitary hospital, with thirteen rooms, with a standard operating room, and with all the facilities of a first class institution.
Doctor Linn is a member of the various medical societies, is affiliated with the different branches of Masonry, being a member of the consistory at Guthrie and other Masonic bodies at Oklahoma City, and is also a member of the Elks Lodge at Oklahoma City. His wife belongs to the Presbyterian Church.
On May 24, 1899, he married Miss Gertrude Belle Fink, who was born at Sturgis, Michigan, a daughter of C. E. and Agnes Fisk, both now deceased. Mrs. Linn has one brother, Claud, who lives at Douglas, Missouri. the two children of Doctor and Mrs. Linn are: Marjorie, aged fourteen, and Gertrude, aged ten.