Charles L. Williams. The
energetic and popular postmaster of Maysville; Charles L. Williams,
has held his present office since 1914 and has won the gratitude and
confidence of the people of the community by the earnest manner in
which he has endeavored to better the service. Prior to 1914 his
training had been principally along business lines, but he had also
held various offices in which he gained experience that was of value
to him in taking the postmastership.
Mr. Williams was
born in DeSoto County, Mississippi, September 17, 1875, a son of S.
and Mary (Quillen) Williams. The family, originating in England,
first settled in Alabama as pioneers on coming to America, and later
went to Mississippi, where the name was also known among the first
settlers. S. Williams was born in Mississippi, in 1830, and enlisted
from that state during the Civil war in the army of the Confederacy,
serving through all the four years of warfare. In 1882 he removed to
near Fayetteville, Arkansas, where he secured a farm, but in 1889
sold his land and moved to Whitebead, Oklahoma, where he continued
his farming operations. His death occurred in 1900, at Antioch, near
Whitehead. He was a democrat in politics. Mr. Williams married Miss
Mary Quillen, who was born in 1841, in Mississippi, and who still
survives her husband, making her home at Maysville. There were seven
children in the family, as follows: J. H., who resides nine
miles south of Maysville, on his farm; Charles L.; Etta, who married
D. E. Branam, a carpenter and builder residing in the eastern part of
Oklahoma; Josie, who married J. H. Barnwell, a farmer residing at
Maysville; her twin,
Jesse, engaged in farming in the western part of Oklahoma; Katy, who
married Oscar Dean, living seven miles South of Maysville, near
Antioch, on a farm; and Delia, who is the wife of J. W. Keller, a
wholesale flour dealer of Wynnewood, Oklahoma.
Charles L. Williams
attended the schools of Arkansas and at Whitebead, Oklahoma,
receiving the equivalent of a modern high school education. he was
reared on the farm of his father and remained with him until the
elder man died, at which time he wont to live with his uncle, J. R.
Ham, with whom he spent two years, during which he completed his
education. In 1902, at the opening of the town, he took up his
residence at Maysville and engaged in the mercantile business, but
after three years sold his interests and went to Pauls Valley, where
he secured a position as a clerk. Two years later he resumed
operations in mercantile lines at Maysville, but after a year sold
out and went to New Mexico, remaining there for six months. Again he
returned to Maysville and engaged in the insurance business until
1914, and during this time for three years held the office of city
clerk. In 1914 he received his appointment from President Wilson as
postmaster of Maysville, an office which he has faithfully and
capably filled to the present time. Mr. Williams is a stalwart
democrat, and was formerly clerk of the Garvin County Democratic
Club. He is a member of the Baptist Church, in which he has served as
deacon, while fraternally he is a thirty-second degree Mason,
belonging to Valley of Guthrie Consistory No. 1, and to Maysville
Lodge No. 232, Ancient, Free and Accepted Masons, of which he has
been secretary and senior deacon.
Mr. Williams was
married at Maysville, in 1907, to Miss Pearl Crouch, daughter of S.
B. Crouch, who is a truck farmer and resides at Maysville. Mr. and
Mrs. Williams have no children.